AK Safari Vehicles

sam_justice

Mouseketeer
Just a fact I want to clear up, I swear I heard that the ride vehicles on Kilimanjaro Safaris were automated (with a stop feature when animals walk in the way) am I correct?
I much prefer it when these things are automatic to be honest! Makes it a bit more technical/magical :p

There are 41 pucks in the roadway that monitor the position of all the vehicles and can be viewed at Command Central. The stop feature is the driver applying the brakes.

I'm not sure that they are, there is a driver in control. There is a large guard on the front of the vehicle that extends down to the ground that would tend to push any strays out of the way if the driver did not notice.

It's driver controlled just like a real safari jeep, as PP said there are scensors along the way to keep up with the vechiles and it can relay info back to the control and to other drivers that they need to slow down or stop b/c of delays.

Trust me, those drivers are driving those vehicles. And they can get stuck in the mud or crash into a "rock" coming down onto the Serengeti. And the animals do not always behave.
They also have air conditioning! (But that's just to keep the recorder cool; it's hot in that seat!)

I don't think the Safari jeeps were every driver-less. I seem to recall always having a driver on the jeep. I always figured the sensors were to relay the location of the jeep (to avoid stacking to many to close together) and to trigger the next part of the audio (i.e., 'Big Red' story).

they are actual trucks (albeit modified for the biofuel) and there is no track. if you ever get backstage, you'll probably even spot one or two driving around.

so they can't be sans driver.

(albeit modified for the biofuel)

I believe they are propane-powered. There's a big above-ground egg-shaped tank near where they're parked at night. Sure looks like a propane tank (although it could be LNG). And the exhaust smells like burnt propane.

they are definitely driven by the CMs. and as a side note, the whole ride was shut down last week because a stubborn warthog would not get out of the road :lmao:

i might have said biofuel in haste. not 100% sure anymore, just that they were converted from gasoline/diesel fuel. according to what I found from Disney, they use natural gas. wikipedia says liquid propane.

Laughing at all the different answers on this thread... There's your Disney magic...no one KNOWS how the mysterious safari trucks work! :wizard: ;)

they are definitely driven by the CMs. and as a side note, the whole ride was shut down last week because a stubborn warthog would not get out of the road :lmao:

The safari vehicles are definitely controlled by the driver.

Last week we were stopped for 15 minutes. We were lucky enough to have three adult rhinos feeding within 10 feet of our vehicle. They were oblivious of our presence. The driver said that they have very poor eyesight. That's the closest that I've ever been to a rhino! We also had to stop again when there were giraffes strolling in the road ahead of us.

The safari vehicles are definitely controlled by the driver.

Last week we were stopped for 15 minutes. We were lucky enough to have three adult rhinos feeding within 10 feet of our vehicle. They were oblivious of our presence. The driver said that they have very poor eyesight. That's the closest that I've ever been to a rhino! We also had to stop again when there were giraffes strolling in the road ahead of us.

Oh, I hope that we are this fortunate on our next safari ride. I would love to have these close encounters of the animal kind.

My nephew drives one, I'll ask him in a few weeks when we're down there, how it all works.

I'm a former driver so I'll bite.

**Magic SPOILER alert**

Yep we drive them, gas and brake, and there is no emergency stop. You have to be alert at all times and looking for animals constantly, especially in the first scene (the forest) with all of the birds. Many trucks have driven off the path and even crashed, most notably coming off the croc bridge (there's an immediate sharp turn) and going down into the Savannah- which is why there is now a rock wall. Animals have been hit before, but nothing too serious. :( Ask your driver about the helmeted guinea fowl, there's a good story behind them ;) Trucks do break down. A few weeks ago there was a 45 minute stop when a truck started smoking. They had to clear all the trucks ahead off the track and then bring in maintenance to tow it off. Everyone is told that it's the wildebeest in the ride path, but that's just preserving the magic.

The drivers do have a rigorous training and a few don't pass assessment each year and have to be transferred. It takes quick thinking, alertness, and the ability to multi-task: listen and respond to Wilson, look for animals, spiel about animals, keep an eye on the trucks ahead and behind you, answer guest questions, drive (!) and listen to personal radio for breaks/ride stops/animal reports/weather updates,etc. It's a lot harder than it looks, which is why there is a huge turnover rate for drivers.

There are pucks that trigger Wilson and they also show driver location to the coordinators. This helps them to track drivers and give them their breaks so they're not out there for hours on end, and also if a guest requests a certain driver, they know how long it will be til they come back around. Also if there is an animal stop or breakdown, they can quickly locate where that specific truck is to send out the animal keepers/maintenance. The trackers have no power to stop a vehicle and it's up to the drivers to maintain proper show spacing between vehicles.

Any questions?

I'm a former driver so I'll bite...........Any questions?

I noticed throughout the safari that there are chains that stretch across the road. They appear to be electified. Are they electrified? I suppose this to prevent the animals (and possibly humans) from wandering into the different lands.

I noticed throughout the safari that there are chains that stretch across the road. They appear to be electified. Are they electrified? I suppose this to prevent the animals (and possibly humans) from wandering into the different lands.

The chains are simply there to clean our tires off. ;)

they also add to the show by making the ride intentionally more less comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter