AK Planning Dilemma

mrsmomo

DIS Veteran
Ok so three weeks to go and I'm tryna get all my touring plans in order. I'm stuck on day 4 which is a Wed @ AK....

So far my problem is that i want to c flights of wonder and lion king but i feel like I'm going to miss a lot of Africa and the animal aspects if i do this!

The plan so far....

9-11 dinoland
11-2 Asia including fow
2-4 Africa
430 lion king
5 park close :-(

Any suggestions?
Or alternatives

I would reduce the time in Dinoland, unless you plan to ride everything. That should give you a little more time for the animal trails. Dinosaur is the big ride and there are some other "carnival" style rides. I wouldn't spend a lot of time in that area if you're on a tight schedule.

Go to easywdw.com and follow Josh's touring plan. We used it and saw everything with time to spare.

How long is dinosaur ds is only 39" so we will probably have 2 do rider swap

If you go straight to Dinosaur when the park opens you should be able to ride it twice in a row with little to no wait. Both you and your husband should be able to ride it once each and you'll have spent less than a half hour at that attraction.

Ok so three weeks to go and I'm tryna get all my touring plans in order. I'm stuck on day 4 which is a Wed @ AK....

So far my problem is that i want to c flights of wonder and lion king but i feel like I'm going to miss a lot of Africa and the animal aspects if i do this!

The plan so far....

9-11 dinoland
11-2 Asia including fow
2-4 Africa
430 lion king

Any suggestions?
Or alternatives

Personally, I wouldn't start in dinoland. and even though we love dinoland, I'm not sure we've ever spent more than an hour there... You should really be able to see FoW, FoTLK and still do everything on your list. I would start with Africa at the safari, then walk the pangani trail.... head over to asia and grab a Everest Past pass, then go to dinoland for an hour. Head back for Everest and Asia/FoW - I think you will have plenty of time. Yes, check out Josh's touring plan....

While I like Josh's easywdw for crowd calendars, I prefer using touring plans from touringplans (and the Unoffical Guide)....I like the data back up and the fact that computers are compiling the schedule. (I'm an engineer, it's ingrained.)

With that in mind, we usually do Dinosaur first, and even if you ride Dino separately, you should be out of there in a 1/2 hr tops. No way do you need another hour and a half to see the rest of Dinoland.

I didn't see if you had any young kids with your traveling party. If not, I can't see spending anywhere near that much time in Dinoland. I basically ride Dinosaur once or twice and that's it. I am going Monday, Dec. 9-16 and I land at 9:16 am on that Monday. I plan on getting my rental car and going to AK that day as it doesn't take me even a full day to complete this park. Of course I don't do a lot of shows either.

The safari was amazing, I'd do that first thing for sure the animals are,roe active in the am and at closing,and lines can get very long. Agreeing you don't need two hours in dell and however it makes a great mod day spot to rest, your child can play in the digging area and the slide area, it really helps blow off steam, is cooler and there is seating for adults. Dinosaur is pretty intense for small kids so consider child swap even if he meets height restriction. Unless he is fearless and loves Dinos! We skipped the games and only rode Dino and triceratops spin. Can be skipped....it's exactly dumbo and magic carpets of Aladdin but it is cute and good for young kids.

Try to leave time for the animals and to check ut all of the theming it is such an immersive environment, you will come across CMs with extensive animal knowledge and have lots so interesting conversations and lessons if you desire. Although we liked it if short on time I'd skip conservation station/Rafikis planet watch. It's fun and educational but takes a lot of time.

AK is a fantastic park! We only have two days tis fall and chose it for one of those days after loving it last year :) have fun!

Op here I looked @ easywdw and felt that it wasn't any better thank the plan I had if not worse for us...

I do have one smallish child ds 2.5 loves dinosaurs and one not so smallish child dd 9 almost 10 @ time of travel. She is fearless lol.

We did dinoland last year but totally missed dinosaur didn't even know it was there! The kids loved dinoland dh & dd rode primeval whirl while me n ds did triceratops then we switched. We skipped the playground cuz ds was to small but i was hoping they would get some time to play in there.

I read a pp that said you see more animals on safari in the am and around close so maybe I will try to work out a new plan that starts there....

Going to my Disney planning table, (dining rm table lol) to c what i can do starting @ safari!

I feel like aad scientists lol

While I like Josh's easywdw for crowd calendars, I prefer using touring plans from touringplans (and the Unoffical Guide)....I like the data back up and the fact that computers are compiling the schedule. (I'm an engineer, it's ingrained.)

With that in mind, we usually do Dinosaur first, and even if you ride Dino separately, you should be out of there in a 1/2 hr tops. No way do you need another hour and a half to see the rest of Dinoland.

See Josh's recent trip report. He basically blows up the TP predictions.
http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized/timing-the-animal-kingdom-cheat-sheet-touring-plan-82713/

Dino Land really isn't a smart option for park open, assuming you want to experience anything in the other lands that day. Most people head to Africa or Asia for a reason, or to Camp Minnie-Mickey if character meets are your priority.

Here is what I would do (if you don't follow EasyWDW religiously)
9-10:30 Africa
10:30-1:30 pm Asia incl. FOW and lunch (which can be anywhere)
1:30- 3:00 Dinoland incl Nemo / Boneyeard
3:00-4:30 shopping/re-ride anything else / Rafiki
430 lion king
5 park close

I do have one smallish child ds 2.5 loves dinosaurs and one not so smallish child dd 9 almost 10 @ time of travel. She is fearless lol.

Dinosaur has a 40" height requirement and is pretty scary, so might not be possible or a good option for your DS 2.5.

We did dinoland last year but totally missed dinosaur didn't even know it was there!

Gotta read the provided park maps to see all the attractions, especially at AK where entrances are fairly hidden. Be sure to check out the Pangani and Maharajah trails. I enjoy the wildlife express train too.

See Josh's recent trip report. He basically blows up the TP predictions.
http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized/timing-the-animal-kingdom-cheat-sheet-touring-plan-82713/

Dino Land really isn't a smart option for park open, assuming you want to experience anything in the other lands that day. Most people head to Africa or Asia for a reason, or to Camp Minnie-Mickey if character meets are your priority.

Here is what I would do (if you don't follow EasyWDW religiously)
9-10:30 Africa
10:30-1:30 pm Asia incl. FOW and lunch (which can be anywhere)
1:30- 3:00 Dinoland incl Nemo / Boneyeard
3:00-4:30 shopping/re-ride anything else / Rafiki
430 lion king
5 park close

I'm not really sure why you consider this "blowing up TP predictions". It's not like he followed a TP touring plan and proved it wrong? :confused3 I'll take math and numbers any day. To each his own, though.

Oh so confused lol, I figured this would be the most straight forward and easiest for me to plan out if the 4 parks but its looking like I'm wrong....

We missed so much of it last yr! Granted we left around 3 due to a 20 degree drop in the weather I'm talking mid 80s down to the 60s and dd literally rode ee 12 times. So i feel like I know nothing about this park including simple things like how long will it take to get around....

:-( so stressed out over this, unnecessary I know

I'm not really sure why you consider this "blowing up TP predictions". It's not like he followed a TP touring plan and proved it wrong? :confused3

TP had AK as a park to avoid, with DHS as a recommended park. But DHS had huge lines and AK had few lines...

To the original poster... don't stress. :) Pick a park recommendation touring service and follow the plans. I prefer EasyWDW but Touring Plans is certainly no slouch. (the less said of touring mike or whoever it was who said that Dinosaur regularly gets 2 hour waits, though).

There is no need to follow a touring plan religiously, especially at AK. All we're trying to recommend to you is to get the big line rides out of the way as earlty as possible, then tour at a relaxing pace. Which is why we're not recommending Dino Land at rope drop.

I always go to Africa first and do the safari. They recommend to do this in the morning because more animals are out. If you wait until the afternoon you will see less of them because of te heat. They'll be hiding in shelter. And i don't think you need two hours for dinoland IMHO.

I honestly never spend a whole day at AK so I think you'll be good no matter what but I would seriously consider putting Africa first if want to see more animals during your safari ride.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The plan so far....

9-11 dinoland
11-2 Asia including fow
2-4 Africa
430 lion king

Any suggestions?
Or alternatives

Oh so confused lol, I figured this would be the most straight forward and easiest for me to plan out if the 4 parks but its looking like I'm wrong....

We missed so much of it last yr! Granted we left around 3 due to a 20 degree drop in the weather I'm talking mid 80s down to the 60s and dd literally rode ee 12 times. So i feel like I know nothing about this park including simple things like how long will it take to get around....

:-( so stressed out over this, unnecessary I know

My favorite park been going there since opening day when I was in the car ( 2nd in line ! ) April 1998 for the grand opening I only tell you this so I have some credibility :rotfl:

IMHO You plan on the First safari of the day OR the Last ( animals more active then middle of the day) then put everything else that is a must do in between Dinoland I really think you can shave an hour off there Even allowing for playing in the boneyard and maybe a meet greet w/ Pluto & Goofy

FOW, FOTLK, and to further complicate your life I think Nemo the musical is also a must see

What date are we talking about ? It would help if we could find out the times of the shows to better assist you with the plan for the day Are you also sure the park closes at 5 ? Are you staying on property & is there an EMH day that is offered at AK ? Then can better say when the trails, Conservation station etc

I always go to Africa first and do the safari. They recommend to do this in the morning because more animals are out. If you wait until the afternoon you will see less of them because of te heat. They'll be hiding in shelter. And i don't think you need two hours for dinoland IMHO.

I honestly never spend a whole day at AK so I think you'll be good no matter what but I would seriously consider putting Africa first if want to see more animals during your safari ride.

:scared1: I USED to like you :rolleyes2 AK I could easily spend 2 or more days at..apparently you have missed much ....oh put yourself in my hands Shay it will turn into your favorite park ;)

My dh told me last night next to mk its his favorite to and the only things we did were ee which they were stuck on for a half hour lol, safari, dinoland excluding dinosaur, and qs lunch @ who knows where!

I want to c nemo to but i don't think its gona happen

We r going Wed Sept 25 my app says its open from 9-5

:scared1: I USED to like you :rolleyes2 AK I could easily spend 2 or more days at..apparently you have missed much ....oh put yourself in my hands Shay it will turn into your favorite park ;)

Well I used to like you too ;)
I can't help it.. I still do lol

It's a good park and I always go I just can't spend a whole day there. I live in the middle of PA. I am surrounded by farms and Pittsburgh zoo not far from me. And my sister lives in DC so I get to that zoo too. I'm all Zooed out lol I get that it's different but I don't know I like the other parks better but this year I get to try dinosaur :yay me: other than that I get more time at MK cause I'm poor and only have so many days
lmao.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter