AK - planet watch

kia5711

Earning My Ears
I can't find a lot of information - at AK is it worth it to take the train out to the planet watch island? What exactly is there other than brushing goats? How long would be needed to do this? We're really on the fence on weather to do it or not. (kids ages 9,7 & 3)

thanks!

I can't really comment on if it's worth it because I don't know all that is there. Usually I just go inside to escape from the heat. However, I do know that there are quite a few of the wilderness explorer badges there, so if your kids are doing that you may have to go! Last time I was there it seemed like that is what most of the kids were doing inside the building.

I would recommend you only do it if you get done everything else. It's not worth sacrificing a show or a ride that you want to do.

As a previous poster mentioned, there are wilderness badges to get. There is a petting zoo, some character meet and greets, and a lot of educational exhibits.

But, it is time consuming. Waiting for and riding the train back and forth is a half hour by itself, and then there is a somewhat length walk to and from the buildings at the conservation center.

We only do it because we spend two days at AK (and hop to another park at night)

How long is the walk from the train to the conservation centre? What is the path like? Thanks!

The only character we saw there was Rafiki, which was cool, but otherwise I don't think it's really worth it unless your kids just really want those badges. Petting zoos are not my daughter's thing, and she was too young to care about all the learning stuff inside. Now I will say that they were doing a dental procedure on a tiger when we happened to be there, so we got to watch some of that through a big window until it became so crowded we couldn't see anything anymore. But that was a random thing.

We would never skip it, but we are not super go-go-go people either.

After the Safari it's probably our favorite thing to do at AK. What kid doesn't like trains??

There are some animals (small monkeys, some creepy crawly things and often others). Usually they have an animal out for kids to touch or at least see up close. We may make a quick circuit through the petty zoo but don't spend much time there (it's can get HOT). There are very cool animal paintings right inside the building. And if you go at the right time you may be able to see a medical procedure.

The CM's there always like to talk a lot to the kids, too, I've found.

How long is the walk from the train to the conservation centre? What is the path like? Thanks!

It's not that long and it's a paved trail. With a three year old, I'm going to assume you will have a stroller and the trail is fine with a stroller. The only thing to mention is that you have to fold up the stroller before you board the train and you won't be able to unfold it until after you cross the yellow line at the destination. Also, the train isn't an enclosed train as all passengers since on long benches and look out to what would be a normal side of a train but everyone sits facing forward if that makes sense. For kids of your ages, that's kind of a neat thing.

I can't find a lot of information - at AK is it worth it to take the train out to the planet watch island? What exactly is there other than brushing goats? How long would be needed to do this? We're really on the fence on weather to do it or not. (kids ages 9,7 & 3)

thanks!

I would agree with others on seeing this if you've covered everything on your "have to do" lists. For my husband and I, we are animal lovers so after years of not going, we finally did because we had the time and now it's a can't miss for us.

Chip and Dale usually will be around to do the hokey pokey outside, Rafiki is usually inside. Also inside are several very interesting exhibits on all kinds of crawly things. Also, there is the veterinarian area where, usually in the mornings, there is a procedure of some sort going on. You can ask at Guest Relations when you arrive.

For the petting area (affection station), there are goats to brush but also hairy pigs (my favorite) and other animals. And there are plenty of hand washing stations before and after you enter/exit the area to get cleaned up.

It's a nice break if the kids are getting fried (or if you are :)) and need to work out some wiggles.

About 5 minutes or less. There are some cotton-top tamarin exhibits along the way, and some signage about conservation things you can do at home. The path is paved and shaded.

It's a quiet place that gives you a chance to relax and unwind a little. I did it when my DD was 3 & 5. Last trip she was 7 and I did not go there. It does take a time investment of 1-2 hours, depending on your family and what you want to do there. The only thing my DD really liked was petting the goats, but at age 7 I thought she was old enough to not need that. She didn't complain or ask if we could go there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter