AK Lodge

sarah24

Stop and Smell the Pixie Dust!! OFFICIAL MOUSE AD
Tell me what you like about this resort. We usually stay at WL but it's not included in Free Dining which saves us about $600. Going 11/15-11/21. I'm concerned that it's so far out from everything.
Thanks

I stayed before the Villas were built (which I understand has effected bus service). I thought the bus service was efficient, and we continued to take our mid-day breaks (we went in October). I loved the animals. We had a savannah view, and it is really something to eat breakfast with a giraffe. I cannot say enough about how neat it is to look out and see them; they are RIGHT THERE. It's not like the zoo. We liked Boma a lot. Never did get to try Jiko. My kids were big fans of the bunk beds. The lobby is gorgeous. I loved it.

It looks like you are going during an off time, so I don't think you should have too much trouble with the busses filling, since I understand they pick up at the villas first.

It's seriously like a vacation from your vacation. It's so nice to leave the parks and return to complete serenity. Yes, it's buses only, but we've NEVER had an issue. We waited for a bus longer than 10 minutes ONCE in a total of 16 days in two trips. Buses are efficient and the location makes it work it. MK is the furthest, about a 15 minute ride. You can use both pools, both have neat features of their own. We love AKL. The dark furniture is similar to what you are used to at WL, but the grounds are so lush and tropical and beautiful.

Husband and I stayed here before the villas were built and before we had a kid. We loved the theming and feeling "away from it all". The buses were efficient and we loved just walking around the resort. We did not notice travel times or feel too remote. I will say, though, that since DD was born we've opted for the Contemporary and soon Boardwalk Villas. Even when not staying there, we've eaten at Boma, Jiko and Sanaa. All 3 are among my top favorite restaurants in all of WDW, and DD loved walking around the resort and seeing the animals. As busymomm2pink said, it's like its own vacation. Even now, with kids, I'd consider it if staying at the parks for a 5+ day stay, with more leisurely park visits. If you really want to bang out all the attractions in the parks in a short visit, maybe I'd shoot for a MK or EP resort.

We stayed in Nov 13. We really did love it. It was amazing to have the animals out the window! If you can I would stay at least once with safari view.

The buses were fine, we never had a problem with them and it really didn't seem any longer then other resorts. I'm sure someone has timed it, but in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't bad.

We are going in August and back to Beach Club though. For that time of the year, going back to the pool it works for us, we like Epcot a lot and it was nice to end the nights there a few times and just walk back.

ETA: we went pretty much the same week, it was great there. THe Xmas decorations are great!

Tell me what you like about this resort. We usually stay at WL but it's not included in Free Dining which saves us about $600. Going 11/15-11/21. I'm concerned that it's so far out from everything.
Thanks

I love the tranquil atmosphere at AKL. I love the dining. I love the pools. I find the bus transportation to be good. The rooms are comfortable. The animals are fun to watch. The CM's are among the best on property. The theming is magnificent.

Even when we don't stay at this resort, we visit for dining at least. It is simply great!

Enjoy!

We had a one night stay last September. We loved the resort. It is so different from most places we've stayed. The lobby is impressive. Can't say enough about having a savanna view. We had a club level room and enjoyed the club so didn't try the restaurants other than Jiko. I took a ton of pictures of the giraffes from our balcony. It was great to sit on the balcony and just relax. CMs were interesting to talk to. Really liked Jiko-plan on eating there this summer so the kids can try it. We would stay there again no problem, but currently BC is our first love so try to stay there if possible, Hopefully will stay there again sometime soon.

Thanks
Like a pp said, AKL is like a vacation from your vacation. I don't find it so far out from everything myself, I think of it more as secluded and peaceful.
The pool view rooms are my favorite, but a well situated savannah room is great too. There are lots of things to do, I could stay for a weekend and happily visit no parks.

We are in the same boat. We are the week before. We have done WL the past few trips, but have done AKL in 2008. It is far out and the resort is so much more spread out, but it is beautiful and lovely and has great restaurants. I am most concerned that the Jambo house is the second bus pick up. I want my young girls to have seats.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it will be great.

We are in the same boat. We are the week before. We have done WL the past few trips, but have done AKL in 2008. It is far out and the resort is so much more spread out, but it is beautiful and lovely and has great restaurants. I am most concerned that the Jambo house is the second bus pick up. I want my young girls to have seats.

Truthfully, the walk to Kidani buses is almost as long as the walk to the jambo bus stop lol. I know it may be inconvenient (there is the shuttle between the two), but if seats are super important, adding 10 minutes to get to Kidani to catch the buses could be worth it.

Truthfully, the walk to Kidani buses is almost as long as the walk to the jambo bus stop lol. I know it may be inconvenient (there is the shuttle between the two), but if seats are super important, adding 10 minutes to get to Kidani to catch the buses could be worth it.
Thanks, they were building them last time we were there. I did not know how walkable it was. I guess we will walk over for the morning ride when it is usually crowded. We have a double bob stroller and it is also a PIA.

Sorry to jump on your thread, but can anyone recommend a good standard room area? I do not want to be by the smoking area, where is that?

I love the lobby, breakfast at Boma, the unique African items in the resort shop, and animal watching. The resort may be more remote, but the bus transportation has never bothered me.

Thanks, they were building them last time we were there. I did not know how walkable it was. I guess we will walk over for the morning ride when it is usually crowded. We have a double bob stroller and it is also a PIA.

Sorry to jump on your thread, but can anyone recommend a good standard room area? I do not want to be by the smoking area, where is that?

I totally just asked this question in the AKL thread lol. For medical reasons we can't be near smoke. Great minds think alike. We usually book pool view..but can't swing it this time!

It's seriously like a vacation from your vacation. It's so nice to leave the parks and return to complete serenity. Yes, it's buses only, but we've NEVER had an issue. We waited for a bus longer than 10 minutes ONCE in a total of 16 days in two trips. Buses are efficient and the location makes it work it. MK is the furthest, about a 15 minute ride. You can use both pools, both have neat features of their own. We love AKL. The dark furniture is similar to what you are used to at WL, but the grounds are so lush and tropical and beautiful.

I totally agree with this poster. DBF and I stayed in a Kidani villa last Fall and loved every minute of it. It was a savanna view and there is nothing like having the animals right there outside your room. It is a very "comfy, at home" feeling resort. I love it there. Also, it never felt like we were on the buses very long on our way places.

it's a beautiful resort and so relaxing. yes, transportation was better before kidani, but it really is quite an experience. we can't wait to go back. what we love: the lobby, the shop, the animal viewing areas, the pool area, the hot tubs, the mara, jiko, and victoria falls lounge. akl is a real treasure.

Love this resort, we constantly find ways to come back to 'visit' even for a few hours if we're staying elsewhere. Like everyone has been saying, it's like a vacation from your vacation. It's more serene and quiet, but at the same time, exciting in it's own way. The food is amazing, the views are stunning, and there's just a sense of relaxation in the air that I haven't felt at any other resort except OKW. I get why people who are 'go go go' don't like it, because it isn't very central to the parks, but I think that's one of its draws for me.

The only times I've had issues with the buses where if we tried to join the rush hour crowd for rope drop and closing, and honestly, you'll get that at any resort. We've learned to shift our timing a half hour in either direction and were perfectly fine.

I'm so excited to stay at this resort for our fall trip. We love Sanaa so I am sure that the food options at Mara and Boma will appeal to us. We drive down so the remote location doesn't bother me at all. I love the decor and theme. I like the relaxing vacation feel we get when we have visited this resort in the past. I'm a little uncertain about the pool view room we booked its all that was left with bunks so hopefully it wont be too noisy or too far from Mara.

I think if we decide to stay at AKL, since we are driving, We will take buses to MK and AK, then just play it by ear for the other parks. If buses for Epcot or DHS end up being long waits, we'll take our car. And always drive our car to DTD. Time is money.

I enjoyed reading this thread, thank you! AKL with the Savannah view is on our list so we are researching now. We are going first week in December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter