AK: Kali River Rapids -soaking!

CajunWon

Earning My Ears
Last Saturday, though I was expecting a wet ride I was not expecting a head-toe drenching. At 10am there was no line.
As the first fountain approached the guy next to me & I decided to remove shirts just in time to get heavily sprayed -not so bad. Then he & I got totally soaked during 3 rapids. My shoes stayed relatively dry as I hid them under the center. I could not have been any wetter if I had removed shoes and gone swimming. I was wringing-out my shorts for the next hour. 6 hours later a restroom had an air-hand dryer when I was finally able to dry important parts of my clothing & I was nearly dry by 7pm dinner.

Next time I want to enjoy this ride w/o raingear would someone please just bump me into the river.

Fortunately DS7 didn't get nearly as wet and I passed our only raincoat (hooded) to his Mom just prior to the 1st fountain.

As I left the ride, many approaching the ride stopped and turned around after seeing my condition.

We skipped Splash Mtn the next day as we had all had our fare share of wet rides.

(hope someone finds humor in this post)

I love Kali and have been soaked to the skin and other times, barely misted. It seems to be a 50/50 shot. Now, I wear a thin dollar store plastic poncho that has a hood. If you do that plus keep your feet up, you will be fine.
The ponchos come 2 to a pack and can be tossed after the ride, or rolled tightly and stashed in a sandwich size ziplock.

This is mom’s favorite ride and she’s 75 years young. We save this ride for when we want to leave the park. If the line isn’t long we ride it a few times in a row. And walk away soaked and happy…

I don't recall an occasion where there wasn't a good soaking.

Yep.

That's the Kali I know, too.

:)

The first time we went to AK I took my DD on it, who was 5 at the time. No one was wet as they were exiting the ride, and I convinced her to go on it with me. She wasn't too excited, and really didn't want to get wet, but I kept thinking "What are the chances?!" Like I said, we didn't see anyone else wet as they were coming off the ride, a little splashed, but not wet. Wouldn't you know, we were the only two on the raft that got drenched! Poor thing was crying about it. I still can't get her on Splash Mountain or Kali again.....and she's 10 now. :rotfl:

I love Kali River Rapids and am really looking forward to riding it in a few days I can deal with being wet lol its part of the fun.

I don't mind getting Splash Mountain wet, but do not want to get Kali soaked. I stay away from that one.

On the other hand, Jurassic Park River Adventure over at IoA, that looks like it would drench you, what with the explosive landing it has, but similar to SM, you get wet, not soaked.

As the sign says, "You will get wet, you may get soaked" and I am always the one that is soaked. My family laughs about it and if someone wants to get really get wet, they sit next to me :lmao:
We learned after the first time to always wear clothes that dry easily, not heavy cottons.:idea:

You might as well just pass me a bar a soap! :laughing: I always get drenched on that one. My son won't even go on it anymore, and he's 18! He hates getting that wet.

When we went to CA and stayed at the Grand Californian, he wouldn't go on that water ride unless we were going directly back to the resort after. I got soaked on that one too.:rolleyes1

10 of us did Kali on Nov. 19 for the first time. I had purchased dollar store ponchos and offered them to all riders. DS 9 and DH 45 thought they were too cool for ponchos. DF 66 and DB 35 also were too cool. The rest of us were smart, however!:banana: Once the ride started, DS & DH tore off their shirts and stuck them in the middle compartment. By the end of the ride all of us were a little wet, but the nonponcho wearers were drenched for hours afterward! The price you pay for coolness! :rotfl2:

Nikita

10 of us did Kali on Nov. 19 for the first time. I had purchased dollar store ponchos and offered them to all riders. DS 9 and DH 45 thought they were too cool for ponchos. DF 66 and DB 35 also were too cool. The rest of us were smart, however!:banana: Once the ride started, DS & DH tore off their shirts and stuck them in the middle compartment. By the end of the ride all of us were a little wet, but the nonponcho wearers were drenched for hours afterward! The price you pay for coolness! :rotfl2:

Nikita

I should show this post to my younger brother! I plan to visit Animal Kingdom the morning/afternoon before my flight leaves and my brother wants to do Kali River Rapids. I told him that he needs to wear a poncho or we are skipping it. He thinks i'm crazy.

We're definately poncho people. We buy the dollar ones at Wal-Mart and just toss them after the ride. You still get a little wet, but it's never anything major.

I hate getting drenched on rides. :P

I agree with the pp that said if you want to get soaked, just sit next to me on a water ride. My DD11 and I rode this close to dark and sure enough we got the lucky seats that every single drop of water went to our seats. The entire raft was laughing so hard at how wet we got and everyone else was just getting splashed. It was so much fun watching them laugh at us, I couldn't be mad. I love water rides, but it started getting a bit chilly as it got dark. We went to the restroom and tried using the handdryer to dry a bit. Luckily we were in thin capri type pants/shorts and not jeans or something. DD11 always wears crocs and I think I may have had mine on that night as well contemplating the wet ride.

I also got pretty wet on SM and while I love water rides, my first trip down, I have to say I was a little nervous about the drop as I don't like coaster types/drops at all. Even though I"m not brave enough yet to be one that raises my hands up on the drop, or even keep my eyes open for that matter :lmao: , I rode it again and still held on and closed my eyes. But I will ride it again next trip. :banana:

But after getting that soaked on Kali, I've learned a few tips for the next time I ride. I just love water rides. :woohoo:

Yeah I got totally soaked. wish i had rode it later in the day. was the first ride of the day and I stayed soaked all day long

Love Kali, but I won't ever ride it again unless I'm leaving right after. Rode a couple of times with only a splash. Last trip my brother wanted to ride midday so all 7 in our party went for it. I kept telling everyone not to sit next to me because I know I'm going to be the one getting the soaking this time. Sure enough! It is no fun to walk around in wet shorts all afternoon. I really doubt that ponchos would help your bottom half if you happen to be in the 2 seats that always get the soaking.

I really doubt that ponchos would help your bottom half if you happen to be in the 2 seats that always get the soaking.

Really, they do keep you dry! Even if you look like a nerd, :crazy: which you will, you have to put the hood up, tightly tuck the loose plastic under you and put your feet up on the rail. I swear it works!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter