AK: how long to go thru park?

JAM'S MOM

Always Planning Another Getaway to the Fort
We will be visiting all the parks at the end of April and will be our first time to AK, having been to the other parks many times. How long should I plan for a good visit to AK knowing that my kids all love animals and we want to ensure they get the most out of the visit. Unfortunately these days I am easily fatigued and will have just finished chemotherapy and radiation in the months prior to our visit. We are staying on site so I can go back to the room if I am too exhausted, however, I'd like to plan how many hours it might take to do the entire tour. For example, I feel sure that I can make it thru MGM in one visit as long as I take in enough shows to allow me to rest. Both MK and Epcot will be two day visits.

It's important that we have a great time and any hints on where to go first to maximize my energy would be appreciated. Our girls are 8, 10, and 13 and this trip is to reward them for being the BEST helpers and cheer givers during my recovery! I'm rewarding my DH by taking him to Shula's without the kids!
Thanks everyone!!

One to Three days, depending on crowds, your interest, your speed, and your stamina.

Half a day, starting at park open. We're done by noon. We have lunch and then we just wander around.

Edit to say...if you don't skip "Rafiki's/Conservation Station" and the Pagani Trail, then count on it being a day at the park.

Robo is right. I have even read where some people spend 1/2 a day!

This park seems to be loved or some think there is not much to do. We love watching, and looking at the animals. My girls love to pick up the bird chart and try to find the birds. My husband and I have to drag them away or they would stay there all day. They really enjoy the whole park :wizard: and so do we. We do everything. So this park is really up to you and what you want to do there.

To see all of AK actually takes more than a day, since it closes so early. Don't forget you need to schedule in wait times for popular attractions, such as the safari, Festival of the Lion King, and the new Expedition Everest ... not to mention the parade. And you don't want to miss It's Tough to be a Bug or Flights of Wonder. And take your time walking thru the Maharaja Jungle Trek and Pangani Trail. We went to AK last week and were disappointed not to have seen all we wanted ... and this was before Expedition Everest opened! Those who say AK is a half-day park are plain nuts.

We're nutty park commandos. If you're not a park commando then yeah, it will take you more than a day to take every thing in.

I Could Spend Hours Watching The Gorilla's. Not The Same Subject But We Kept Noticing This Tall Tree Out On The AK Property All By Itself. Finally On The Safari I Asked The Guide About It. Well, Would You Know It Is Actually A Cell Phone Tower All Decked Out To Look Like A Tree. Disney Sure Does Do Extraordinary Things.

Amirah95 said:
Half a day, starting at park open. We're done by noon. We have lunch and then we just wander around.

Edit to say...if you don't skip "Rafiki's/Conservation Station" and the Pagani Trail, then count on it being a day at the park.

If you're "done by noon", you didn't see the 4pm parade (one of the good ones).

And you coudn't have seen "everything".

I can "work a park" pretty fast.
I've been to DAK at least 25 times.
I've yet to "do it" by noon, especially if I plan to only visit there ONCE in a vacation trip (which is VERY unlikely).

Safari
Its Tough to Be a Bug
Dinosaur!
Festival of the Lion King
Expedition Everest (soon)
Kali River Rapids
Nature Trails (x2)
Conservation Station & Affection Section
The new "carny rides" area in Dinoland
Kids love to "Dig for dino bones" there, too.
Flights of Wonder (Birds)
Pocahontas Nature Show
Character Meet & Greets
Parade at 4pm
Breakfast, Lunch or Snack break
"Let's do THAT AGAIN" (X times)

Even using FastPass and/or if you SKIP SEVERAL of these, its not possible to actually DO many of these in just 3-4 hours.

Yes, I do know which of these to "skip" for my tastes (and TARZAN will at last soon cease to "ROCK")... and I HAVE had a very nice "half-day" at DAK... but that's only because I know that I'll be coming BACK to DAK to do MORE a few more times on the SAME TRIP to WDW.

:hyper:

I generally like to take a full day for AK. Even though you could do it in a half of a day, you would miss so much.
It is such a neat park to take your time to really look at all the animals and the birds, and the buildings themselves.
Some people walk through the nature trails commando style but that is not for me, I love watching the gorillas, the tigers, the bats, everything. The Festival of the Lion King is not to missed, it is a fantastic show, and so is Flights of Wonder, I don't care for Tarzan Rocks, but I know there are people that do. I like to ride on Dinosaur more than once, as well as the Safari. I go on the Safari when I first get to the park and then ride on it again later on in the day, you will be amazed at what you see at different times of the day.
And the parade, to me its the best of all the parks.
It really is a park to be enjoyed, if it is too much for you to take in all in one day, go in the morning one day, and then the next day go in the afternoon.

We usually have breakfast with Donald at 8:30 then by 1:00 or 2:00 we head back to the hotel to do laundry. (I plan AK in mid-week so I can do my laundry, because it's a short day at the park.)

We were there in October '05 and arrived at AK at opening time. We didn't do every attraction, but did the Kilimanjaro Safari, the walking trails in Africa & Asia, Tough To Be A Bug, Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids and walked the entire park talking photos. We had lunch at the Rainforest Cafe and were at Magic Kingdom by 2:30.

I had bone cancer (twice) in one of my leg bones, so we have to make sure that we get a lot of sitting time in along the way. AK usually takes us a full day and I know there are things we miss each time. If your kids all like animals, a full day would probably be a good idea.

AK is pretty well set up for those of us who need to rest. The shows are always good for that, but AKs trails are scattered with benches and there are benches and low walls all over the park. Waiting in line is the hardest thing for me, but I just do what I can and use FPs when that will help.

There is an acrobatic troupe from Africa that performs in a courtyard. You probably need to arrive a bit early to get a seat, but that was a fun way to sit and still have somethign DD enjoyed. The Conservation Station involves not only a sit-down train ride, but has some activities you can sit for.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone for the info and the good wishes. I know we'll have a wonderful time and will enjoy all that the AK offers!

This is a full 1-day park for us and possibly another morning visit to do our favorites again.

you cam do AK in about 3/4 day. it is definitely the park that you need the least amount of time at...if that helps. the shows ar amazing.....don't miss them! it will also give you a time to sit and relax. AK is a very relaxing, lazy-type of day, so you should be fine.

Robo said:
If you're "done by noon", you didn't see the 4pm parade (one of the good ones).

And you coudn't have seen "everything".

I can "work a park" pretty fast.
I've been to DAK at least 25 times.
I've yet to "do it" by noon, especially if I plan to only visit there ONCE in a vacation trip (which is VERY unlikely).

Safari
Its Tough to Be a Bug
Dinosaur!
Festival of the Lion King
Expedition Everest (soon)
Kali River Rapids
Nature Trails (x2)
Conservation Station & Affection Section
The new "carny rides" area in Dinoland
Kids love to "Dig for dino bones" there, too.
Flights of Wonder (Birds)
Pocahontas Nature Show
Character Meet & Greets
Parade at 4pm
Breakfast, Lunch or Snack break
"Let's do THAT AGAIN" (X times)

Even using FastPass and/or if you SKIP SEVERAL of these, its not possible to actually DO many of these in just 3-4 hours.

Yes, I do know which of these to "skip" for my tastes (and TARZAN will at last soon cease to "ROCK")... and I HAVE had a very nice "half-day" at DAK... but that's only because I know that I'll be coming BACK to DAK to do MORE a few more times on the SAME TRIP to WDW.

:hyper:

We don't leave the park...we're there from open to close. Big ride that create big lines are completed by noon. TGM touring plans work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter