AirTran

Big Kid in Alabama

Earning My Ears
We are going to the World in 24 days. Can't wait! The last 4 years we flew Southwest. This year we are flying AirTran because of the price. $788 Round Trip for 4. What are your experiences with AirTran - Good or bad.
I know that Southwest has recently purchased AirTran.

2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
2008 - Pop
2009 - All Star Movies
2010 - Pop
2011 - Pop

I've always had really good in-flight experiences with Air Tran.

What I don't like about them was there never ending schedule changes. Just check your flights to make sure they have changed the times and check again about a day or two before you return home.

I've only flown them a couple of times years ago but I don't remember being impressed nor unimpressed by them. I did fly them back when they were ValuJet. :scared1: I remember liking the planes more then, actually. They were brighter and roomier.

Anyway, we are flying AirTran this time around as well and people I know that have flown them recently seem to like them. If I get there safe and with relatively minor problems, then I'm happy!

We always have had great luck with Airtran. As mentioned above, do watch your flights because they do change them often. However, this has actually worked in my favor- getting us to WDW earlier :thumbsup2. If you didn't know- they do charge for even your first checked bag now. We did find on our last cheap that it was still either cheaper or the same price as the next cheapest flight on an airline that we didn't like so much.

We fly mostly Airtran because they are the cheapest. And although it is true that they tweek your flight times, it works out. The last 3 trips I purchased the cheapest flight on the day we want to travel without regard to time. Then when they email saying there has been a change in flight time (even if it is just a few minutes) I go on the web site, find a flight I like better and call Airtran and tell them the flight time change doesn't work for me, can I have seats on Fight # .... and we are on the flight we wanted all along.

Our one not-so-great experience was that last November. DH, both DS's and I were on a flight that lost an engine at 30,000 feet! To us, it was pretty scary! We returned to Atlanta with full emergency equipment on the runway, but landed safely (Thank God). The up side is that we got vouchers that just about cover our trip for this November! All's well that ends well, I guess! I am still flying with them!

Thanks, thats the way I look at it as well. Any successfull landing is a good flight.

How true!!!

We've only flown on AirTran a couple of times; the first time was when they did that promotion with Wendy's for free flights back in 2003 or 2004- flew from Boston to the west coast. On the way out, we were late flying into Atlanta, and we had to rush through the airport to get to our gate; when we got to the gate, there was a huge crowd of people waiting around, but no one to let us down the ramp. Finally someone just opened the door and bunch of us boarded the plane. Then some more people boarded even later. Because of the quick time between when we landed and when we were supposed to take off I thought there was no way in heck that our luggage was making the connection, but lo and behold, when we got to LAX, our luggage did too, restoring my faith in AirTran (what little I had, that is LOL). The funniest part of the flight was when we were on board there was a woman a few rows ahead of us who kept saying "I can't wait 'til we get to Vegas!!!" and finally someone told her, "ahem, we're going to LA." She was trying to get the flight attendant to tell the pilot he had to turn the plane around!!! It was a riot - she wasn't unruly she just felt like an idiot for getting on the wrong flight! BUT, since there was no one checking people in....
Anyway, the 2nd time we flew - also a free flight, but this time from my DH's flexpoints cc- we were flying home from LA, this time through Milwaukee. We were trying to get our stroller gate checked, and there was no one in we couldn't anyone to get us the gate tag...then they started boarding people, but there was no one to help us at the desk...we finally got someone, but they didn't seem all there...we wanted to have it in Milwaukee for when we switched planes, so we ended up having to double gate check it - if that makes sense. THEN when we were finally on the plane, DS started messing around with the milk cap on his milk, started choking on it, and managed to throw everything up :scared1: (over himself, the seat, some of me) when I was whacking him on the back. We were trying to get a flight attendant over to us for some napkins, and they pretty much ignored us until DH said "we have a thrower-upper over here!" The flight attendants on the 2nd leg of the flight were much more attentive...

Anyway, for me, in the end, you can't complain about free flights that land safely!

We have had nothing but good experiences flying AirTran. Our last 2 flights have been airtran. The satellite radio is the best feature

We fly AirTran but pay for our seats at timeof booking. Have been on more than 1 flight when parents were complaining because the family got split up. Worth the $6 or $15 to know the kids are seatd with me. Most of our family will be flying with them on the 21st of July to WDW, can't wait.:dance3:

I have nothing but good things to say about them. I flew AirTran last week and everything was so pleasant and I had no troubles. They even checked our baggage round trip for free just because. I didn't have to pay for seats and our entire party got to sit together. I never even asked for anyone but my daughter and I to sit together. I was also flying with my dad who needed wheelchair assistance round trip and the girl at the desk at the airport made some sort of special note and there was a wheelchair and attendant waiting on us to push him through all the airports and someone to help me with the luggage. So, I would say I love them. I know that is not normal treatment and I did nothing to deserve it or ask for it so I am happy with them. I guess I just got a really nice person on the phone when I called to inquire about my daughter and I sitting together. I would definately fly again.

I have nothing but good things to say about them. I flew AirTran last week and everything was so pleasant and I had no troubles. They even checked our baggage round trip for free just because. I didn't have to pay for seats and our entire party got to sit together. I never even asked for anyone but my daughter and I to sit together. I was also flying with my dad who needed wheelchair assistance round trip and the girl at the desk at the airport made some sort of special note and there was a wheelchair and attendant waiting on us to push him through all the airports and someone to help me with the luggage. So, I would say I love them. I know that is not normal treatment and I did nothing to deserve it or ask for it so I am happy with them. I guess I just got a really nice person on the phone when I called to inquire about my daughter and I sitting together. I would definately fly again.

Not sound advice! I would NEVER EVER even state something like that. You are extremely LUCKY that you were seated with your daughter and able to do so at the 24 hour mark. There are reports all over the transportation board of families being separated when they don't pay ahead for seats. Airlines DON'T have to move people so you can sit together. People who paid for seats DON'T have to move for you and your child to sit together! They paid ahead to sit with their family or get a specific seat. You didn't and lets say at 24 hour mark no seats together. You go to airport and whine that you are not with 5 year old daughter....they don't have to do a darn thing. You did luck out!

OP please pay for seats. We love Airtran! I would fly them again anytime...except if they go to the Southwest way of no assigned seats!

Have a great trip!

I was also flying with my dad who needed wheelchair assistance round trip and the girl at the desk at the airport made some sort of special note and there was a wheelchair and attendant waiting on us to push him through all the airports and someone to help me with the luggage. So, I would say I love them. I know that is not normal treatment and I did nothing to deserve it or ask for it so I am happy with them.

Actually, it is normal for an airline to provide a wheelchair for disabled passengers when requested. I hope that you tipped the attendant, especially if he/she helped you with your luggage.

I have always flown Air Tran, (Minneapolis is thier hub) and never had any issued. We were late getting into Atlanta due to weather on a trip and they held up the connecting flight for just 12 of us making the connection.

We are flying Southwest for the first time this summer and payed extra for expedite seating, my husband is 6'6" so we need to make sure he can get the extra leg room he needs.

We always fly AirTran. Just keep checking your flight times as they do change quite often. We like that we can pre purchase our seats so we know we can sit together. They have free satellite radio which is awesome. Bring headphones for everyone...my kids love listening to disney radio on the plane! We have experienced delays leaving Orlando due to weather and not the fault of the airline. AirTran was wonderful and gave us 5 vouchers for $25 off future travel plus vouchers to eat at MCO. I am sad they are going away.

Hey Big Kid in Alabama, what airport are you flying out of for Airtran? On our trip last month I kept looking for flights from BHM and couldn't get them under $1000 roundtrip for my family of 4. Would love to know there are other options out there!

If you are checking bags, be 100% CERTAIN your bags are not too large or too heavy. My bag was under 50 lbs. but they deemed it "too large" and made me pay $49. :mad:

Another big fan of AirTran here. We fly them to Orlando from BWi all the time. like some PPs mentioned, if you care about sitting together, be sure to pay for your seats in advance. Other than that, have a wonderful trip!

If you are gate checking a stroller be sure to tie down anything you want to come back. We nearly lost a snack tray off our double but a friendly pilot rescued it while the staff at the desk did nothing to help us. We bring bungee cords now and wrap it up. This could be true of any airline, but we've had the most trouble with Airtran.

I won't fly Airtran without paying for seat reservations. We were caught in one of those situations where not paying bumped us right off the flight. Not fun with a 2 year old and a 6 month old when the flight you lost was a 8am and the next available was at 4pm.

Hey I believe, We are flying out of Huntsville. I tried booking airline travel on my own and it was over $1,000. I had Disney look it up for me when booking back in April. They said the price was $788. So I booked it right then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter