• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AirTran dropped their prices....

Thanks! Im glad you found something good - we may end up driving to dc if this trend continues, we have before.... They hung around 89.00 for ages here, so seeing 131 now is scarry. Bleh....:sad1:

Va bear I'm in your same general area. Have you tried Newport News? It is usually cheaper than Richmond.

We are flying in October and we normally fly SW but Air Tran is quite a bit cheaper for our flights. I don't know anything about Air Tran. Are they stable? Are they part of another airline? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I've been flying Air Tran for many years. Actually, it's the only airline I prefer to fly on anymore. I like that at booking I can secure a seat. We went SW last yr for the first time and I hate the boarding policies there....works for some, but not for us. Anyway, no problems ever with Air Tran and as far as I know they are independant. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Hope this helps some. Good luck finding a great price with whatever airline you choose!!

:cheer2: :grouphug: yes, airtran will change the flight for you without penalties if they cancel and they should but you only get credit for future use if a price goes down and you have to use it within a year, SW credited my credit card the difference......that is much better than future use credit......all depends where your flying out I guess..........we don't usually use airtran except for a great deal to MCO so a year to use credit would not be for us.......its all a preference too, we tend to fly out west, SW does Vegas non stop, airtran does not, we fly to Colorado every fall, United is the only nonstop, airtran does not, we go to Cancun every June, using USA3000 nonstop, airtran has none, we do go to Florida a couple times a year, and SW has had the best flights/times/prices in the past two years............so just becareful, make sure you book and know your going to use the credit or its useless to get the credit for the better prices. SW has dropped their prices in the past 3 years for MCO, in June $49~$69 each way, from Pittsburgh, so keep a look out. I know some cities are always higher though...........we have $73 each way now for free dining in Sept from Pittsburgh to MCO using the ding15, not too bad since gas is $100 per gallon.:scared1: I hope everyone gets a great flight/time/price.........we rent a car, so magical express is of no use to us..................we only fly nonstop by the way..................:worship: :cheer2: here is a cheer for everyone:cheer2:

I have flown airtran, yes its stable, acutally had some great reviews this past year........only thing negative I can say is, the last two years, we booked in Sept for MCO from Pittsburgh, 14 of us, 11 on one flight 3 on another, we kept getting emails that flight times were changed by anywhere from minutes to 2 hours and the last straw was, I got an email stating my 4pm flight to MCO on Thursday was cancelled due to lack of interest so they put everyone on the later fuller flight, 9pm, and it wasnt non stop...........my sister ended up changing everyone to the same flight on SW, we just didnt think the other flight was going to be full enough either, they changed the times 3 times and it was only June..............maybe its because many dont fly to MCO on Thursday..........so if I can, I use SW for MCO, but I am sure that isnt' done all the time.............SW had the best fares in June for Sept for the past two years.........I will be in Cancun for 2 weeks in June but I will have my laptop, hopefully I can check and get the credit if the fares go down..........:banana: if not, $73 each way, nonstop isn't too too bad.

Just got a $55 credit - better than nothing. Dont know if we'd use i within a year, but its there if we could. What else can you use it for besides ticket purchase, anything?

Va bear I'm in your same general area. Have you tried Newport News? It is usually cheaper than Richmond.

Yes, i did try it and norfolk, but still thanks for reminding me to keep checking those cause that is not a bad drive at all and not "scarry" like driving to DC (in terms of worrying about hitting a MAJOR traffic jam and being late scarry...)
:)

What's with paying to choose your seat? The only 3 seats left together were the emergency exit and it was $20 extra!!! So I had to put DD across the aisle from one of us and DH in front. What I found out is that every middle seat was taken and aisle and windows throughout the plane were open. I usually asked for a window seat when flying alone but never the one in the middle.:confused3

What's with paying to choose your seat? The only 3 seats left together were the emergency exit and it was $20 extra!!! So I had to put DD across the aisle from one of us and DH in front. What I found out is that every middle seat was taken and aisle and windows throughout the plane were open. I usually asked for a window seat when flying alone but never the one in the middle.:confused3

I seem to remember when we flew Airtran in December, there were only 2 seats on one side and 3 seats on the other side of the aisle, maybe they block that middle seat out down the whole row because there are only 2 seats on that side of the plane. I'm pretty sure I remember that correctly.

Yes, i did try it and norfolk, but still thanks for reminding me to keep checking those cause that is not a bad drive at all and not "scarry" like driving to DC (in terms of worrying about hitting a MAJOR traffic jam and being late scarry...)
:)

Your welcome:goodvibes I get Dings from southwest and they fly out of Norfolk, nonstop. Parking is not bad at Newport News either. Last Sept, if you parked outside and not in the new parking deck.. it was $5 a day. I thought that was a great deal..especially with the gas prices.

Tracy

Our airtran fares out of Milwaukee didn't drop...I will still play the waiting game, although it makes me a little nervous. I am watching a number of airlines. I like airtran, but I am not crazy about the outgoing time flight.

So in reading this thread, are you saying that if I book my fare online with airtran and I watch the fares and they do go down or offer a special promotion, I can call and get the difference in a voucher? That does sound appealling. It sounds appealling on SWA as well, but their prices is much higher out of Midway (one of their biggest hub). Their rates are super high right now, relatively speaking. It's also farther for us to drive and parking is more expensive...so many things to weigh!!!

I checked out Air Tran last night around 9:30 pm, and was able to score flights for $49 each way from Washington Dulles (it's further than we like to go for the airpot, but couldn't resist), we decided to pre-select seats for an additional $6 pp each leg of the trip, so total for 8 of us was $1048 bucks for non-stop flights . :cool1:

I am so excited!!!!!!
Jill

Glad I called for the credit for the reduced fare yesterday - flight went back up to $143/pp, was $83 yesterday.

Question: What can you use the credit for other than buying another airline ticket? We wont be travelling before it expire (which she said was march 1st, not a year from yesterday).

Glad I called for the credit for the reduced fare yesterday - flight went back up to $143/pp, was $83 yesterday.

Question: What can you use the credit for other than buying another airline ticket? We wont be travelling before it expire (which she said was march 1st, not a year from yesterday).

We flew in December and used our credit to upgrade to business class when we checked our bags. Not as nice as I would have expected, but heck of a lot better than the coach class. I got the $49 flight from BWI to MCO and now I have a $228 credit (6 people)! :dance3:

If your fare goes down and you call for a credit and then it goes does again can you get another credit? Linda :)

I did, I called the first time and got a credit for $138.00. Called the next day and got a credit for $90. Just be careful, they also credited the $6.00 for each person for the pre-selected seats and I temporarily lost my seats. Called back and they fixed that for me.

I did, I called the first time and got a credit for $138.00. Called the next day and got a credit for $90. Just be careful, they also credited the $6.00 for each person for the pre-selected seats and I temporarily lost my seats. Called back and they fixed that for me.

Wow, that's great thanks for letting me know! What a great savings, I hope you get to use it towards a future trip. Linda :)

I bought our AirTran airfare back in early February (for our October trip) and paid $88. Now the flight down is $145 and the flight home is $109. Glad I bought my tickets when I did!

Did you buy the tix on March 1st? They credit back to the date of purchase and are good for one year.

Does anyone know if AirTran is still issuing credits (if I call, that is. I know it's not automatic) if the airfare drops?

-------------------------------

I guess this is my answer. Just found this Q&A on their website --

I have already purchased my tickets and have seen specials for a less expensive fare. Can I get the lower price?

A $75 fee per person applies to any change made after purchase, plus any applicable increase in airfare. Any changes to your reservation must occur at least 1 hour prior to departure

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter