AirTran - changed flight time, accepted, now want to change to new time...

Disney8704

<font color=deeppink>I so need to do that!<br><fon
I was thinking that it would be nice to arrive the night before our trip kicks off that way we can get in a full day. When I had booked my tickets back in Feb. for this August I had liked the times I got. But then last month they changed my times for going to Orlando and coming home. I went ahead and have already accepted the changes. Well tonight I was looking online and saw that there was a HYATT Hotel INSIDE MCO. I never knew that! Well I put in our dates and chose governement rate (military) and we got a GREAT rate of $99!! We would be getting to Orlando around 9pm, so that hotel would be PERFECT for us. That way as soon as we get off the plane, we can grab some food and then go to bed. Now if we decided to stay at a hotel the night before we go to Disney here at home it would be about the same rate, maybe a little more. HOWEVER, since I have already accepted the new schedule, am I screwed into keeping that schedule or can I call AirTran, tell them that the schedule had changed last month and while it worked just fine then, it doesnt work for me now. Will they change our flight with no penalty cost of $75 per ticket? If we have to pay, its gonna cost us an extra $188 ($75 per person for change fees and the remainder for price difference)! :scared1: Not sure if paying the extra $188 is worth arriving a day early or going to sleep the night before and having to get up at 5am to catch our flight. :confused3 I dont mind paying the extra $30 to get into Orlando the night before. But $188?!!

Your flight isn't until August? Wait a bit and Airtran will probably change your flight AGAIN all on its own and then you can ask for the flight you really want for free. Seriously.

The first time our AirTran flights changed to agent who helped me said that once we accepted the changes, if we called back to say we'd changed our minds and wanted another flight there would be a fee. You can always call and see if you get an agent that'll make an exception for you.

Otherwise, I agree with the other poster, hold out for more changes so you can make the switch for free.

This just happened to me a couple days ago...
original flight...nonstop leaving at 8am arriving at 1000am....just happened to check our res, and the nonstops were changed to noon arriving at 2pm, which really messed us up.

I called and said that didn't work, they told me I could take the 6am flight, with layover arriving at 1030 am. I took it, but DH was NOT happy about getting up at 3am!!

Called back, told them my problem, they let me switch to the day before and take the noon flight. We just added on to our DVC stay, gives us another day and a half using only 12 points!

They were very nice to me at Airtran, had to get a supervisor involved, took a few minutes, but a very pleasant experience.

They did tell me another change would cost.

Maybe I was lucky, but I would definately give them a call.
Good luck!

I'll keep checking daily. If I see them changing my flight times again, I will do it then. If not, I have a feeling that I will probably be charged that fee. If I dont see anything by Aug 1st and nothing changes, I guess we will just stick with staying here and getting up at 4am. I talked to DH and he told me to just suck it up and deal with it. Well I feel like telling him, suck it up and deal with the extra $180 cuz I want a good night sleep! ;)

So far its only changed 1 time but yes, I am expecting it to change again. And I hope it does to so I can fly out the night before :)

Your flight isn't until August? Wait a bit and Airtran will probably change your flight AGAIN all on its own and then you can ask for the flight you really want for free. Seriously.

How much time do they have to change your flight by in order for them to allow you to switch flights? They changed my flight going down to a flight leaving 45 mins later, which isn't too bad but it puts us in Orlando even later in the day (and that's if the flight even leaves on time) Can I call and ask to be changed to a flight leaving the day before my original date now? Also, I never called to let them know I accepted the changes they made, I didn't know I really had to. :rotfl: Is this something you are supposed to do or just something people called about because they were upset over the change and ended up accepting because they didn't see any better option?

I think you have to. I think you can change your flight up to 24 hrs in advance. As long as you havent accepted the new changes yet, you should be able to change your departure time/date to the day before without incurring in any fees.

How much time do they have to change your flight by in order for them to allow you to switch flights? They changed my flight going down to a flight leaving 45 mins later, which isn't too bad but it puts us in Orlando even later in the day (and that's if the flight even leaves on time) Can I call and ask to be changed to a flight leaving the day before my original date now? Also, I never called to let them know I accepted the changes they made, I didn't know I really had to. :rotfl: Is this something you are supposed to do or just something people called about because they were upset over the change and ended up accepting because they didn't see any better option?

Just adding my 2 cents. I read this thread and checked my own flight info and (even though I'm not flying until December) they had indeed changed the flights. The departing flight was changed from 8AM to 7:15 AM and it was the same flight #. The returning flight however, they cancelled my original 3:15 PM flight and put us on a 3:36 PM flight. Again, from a time perspective no big deal, but I had also paid $18 each way for reserved seats and they did not carry that over to the new flight. I was able to handle that easily with the rep on the phone but what if I hadn't checked until the seats would not have been together? Since I booked everything through Disney they did not have my personal info to notify me. The rep attached my email address to the itinerary so any future changes I will be notified. Just something for anyone else having booked through the Disney website to consider, call your airline and have them associate your email address so you will be notified of changes!

:disrocks:

You may find a sympathetic or inexperienced representative who would let you do this, but a change of 45 minutes is generally not going to be enough for them to allow you to rebook--especially moving up to the day before--without incurring a change fee. There's no harm in asking, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I had no trouble. A week ago I saw they had changed around my flights so I called and got rebooked to the new non-stop times (was going to be returning 3 hours earlier so not thrilled...) A few hours later I noticed that AA had reduced their rates significantly and I could now fly with them for $100 less at better times. So I called back and told the representative that although I thought the change was going to work, I have now realized that it won't. They let me cancel my flight and refunded the cost with no fees, no questions asked since it was a result of their schedule changes. I then booked AA. That was all in the same day though so it might be different with you.

Actually from reading other threads about airtran, you CAN change your flight to the day before if they change your flight time and not incur a fee. As long as it was in the 24 hr window. So say your original flight is for 8am on Aug 10th. You can change it to Aug 9th for a later time or a 8am flight. But if you took a 6am flight on Aug 9th, then you would probably incur a fee.

You may find a sympathetic or inexperienced representative who would let you do this, but a change of 45 minutes is generally not going to be enough for them to allow you to rebook--especially moving up to the day before--without incurring a change fee. There's no harm in asking, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

but that is an example of how airlines have become 'nice' to the travelling public, and are now paying for it.

There have been many posts over the years of passengers booking the lowest fare even when it wasn't their optimal travel time, then as soon as there is a very minor schedule change (even of nine minutes!) calling the airline to demand a change to the preferred, higher priced flight time. Most airlines cover this in their contract of carriage, but have been bending the rules over the past few years to the benefit of travellers.

Now they are paying for it, and some are paying dearly. I would check the latest AirTran news and would be a little worried if my future flight will still happen at all based on today's news.

but that is an example of how airlines have become 'nice' to the travelling public, and are now paying for it.

There have been many posts over the years of passengers booking the lowest fare even when it wasn't their optimal travel time, then as soon as there is a very minor schedule change (even of nine minutes!) calling the airline to demand a change to the preferred, higher priced flight time. Most airlines cover this in their contract of carriage, but have been bending the rules over the past few years to the benefit of travellers.

Now they are paying for it, and some are paying dearly. I would check the latest AirTran news and would be a little worried if my future flight will still happen at all based on today's news.

What was today's news?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter