Airport Security

bouncy54

I Believe In Fairy Magic
I'm going to be traveling with oxygen and medications. I've already done all the paperwork necessary & made sure that my POC is approved by Alaska Airlines... they have noted my reservation. I'll also be in a WC.

Dealing with security at the airport has me a bit apprehensive. SeaTac & Orlando both have the full body scanners which I'll probably do as I've had a full body pat down before and I find them so uncomfortable & embarrassing. Probably wouldn't feel that way if I wasn't an ole' Grandma with a Grandma type body. :rotfl:

I can walk short distances so wouldn't have to stay in WC to go through scanner.

Anyway.. anyone have some tips for me to get through security with as little hassle as possible?

I will say that you likely will not be able to bring the O2 into the scanner, so if you cannot leave it behind, that might not work for you.

I am not sure how scooters are handled at airports. When I fly with my powerchair, I MUST drive it through myself and do the wand and pat-down. They will not handle the powerchair for me, as they do with a manual wheelchair. Perhaps someone else here can tell me what they do with personal scooters.

I will not do the full-body scanners as I cannot stand that long. My understanding is that you have to be able to hold your arms out to the side/above your head with your legs planted wide for 30 seconds - No way I can do all that!

Hope others here have good advice

Here is the TSA link on the new body scanners - it looks like pooh-sized people may have some problems...

http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/ait/index.shtm

When I travel with my scooter, they pull me and the scooter through the special zone. They won't let me off the scooter and just screen it seperatly and let me walk through the scanner. I have to have the pat down whether I want it or not.

When I travel with my scooter, they pull me and the scooter through the special zone. They won't let me off the scooter and just screen it seperatly and let me walk through the scanner. I have to have the pat down whether I want it or not.

Same here - I can walk through the scanner, but because they will not move the powerchair, I must get the pat down. It actually had me standing longer last time than walking would have been! Next time I am going to have to sit for the screening...

When we flew in January, they swabbed DD's POC. I had all of her medical equipment in a bag (tubing, BP machine, extra conserving devices, batteries etc.) and they took it into a special room and examined it, brought it back 7 minutes later. This was just after the Christmas day bomber so I think they were being extra careful. I remember they checked her WC twice. She was able to stand and walk a little, which helped. they were able to examine her cushion and chair better.

When we flew in January, they swabbed DD's POC. I had all of her medical equipment in a bag (tubing, BP machine, extra conserving devices, batteries etc.) and they took it into a special room and examined it, brought it back 7 minutes later. This was just after the Christmas day bomber so I think they were being extra careful. I remember they checked her WC twice. She was able to stand and walk a little, which helped. they were able to examine her cushion and chair better.

I'm using an Alaskan Airlines courtesy WC at the airports, so there should be no problem with that. I'm just going to have the approved POC and prescriptions with me besides my regular carry on.

When I use my ECV they will ask if I can walk and stand a bit. When I tell them I can, they will ask me to sit on a regular chair and then stand for scanning. Sometimes they will use a mirror on a pole to loo at the bottom of the ECV;other times they have used two people; one would tilt it partway on its side and the other look at the bottom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter