Airport question - wheelchair for elder

deedisneydream97

DIS Veteran
Hi all....will be taking mom-in-law to Disney and I know she will have difficulty walking through the airport (for some reason, I always manage to get the gate furthest from the security checkpoint). I did speak with someone from United, and they have arranged to have a wheelchair ready when we check in curbside at both airports. My question is....does an airport employee push the wheelchair or is it up to me? Do they not let you and you HAVE to let the employee push it? If it is an employee, is it customary to tip the person?

I've already reserved an ECV from Walker....she was kind of balking at the idea, but she's 85 and is in pretty good health but does have some issues. It is going to be hot as blazes, so I got the canopy too.

Thanks in advance.

The airline employee pushes it and you would tip that person.
I hav never seen them NOT pushing the wheelchair; I assume that person is responsible for the wheelchair so they would push it.

The airline employee pushes it and you would tip that person.
I hav never seen them NOT pushing the wheelchair; I assume that person is responsible for the wheelchair so they would push it.

Thank you Sue. I should have asked....do you know what the customary tip would be? $3? $5? I have no clue. It is NJ if that would make a difference. I know I give the baggage handler $2 per bag at curbside. TIA.

The person who meets you with the wheelchair will push it. Yes, definitely tip. When my husband needed a wheelchair because of a leg injury, the wheelchair attendant pushed him from the gate to baggage claim and then to the curb where I met them with the car. I tipped $20.00. For taking you from the check-in counter to the gate, I'd tip $10.00. That's a lot more work than checking a bag!

I usually tip $20 at home (Atlanta - it's huge). A little less if the airport is a lot smaller

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter