Airport assistance for 2 people?

disneyfreak89

DIS Veteran
Now that DH is permanently disabled, we've had to adjust how we vacation. He always did the driving to Disney, then a few years ago I was able to drive a couple of times. Sadly, he is finding the actual travel days (3-4) to be just too much and I have to say its a bit much for me too. If I can ever get him back to Disney it might have to be by plane and, well, neither of us have ever flown before! Crazy I know.

Friends have told us that there are people at the airports to assist you through the airport to your gate etc. My concern now is, I can no longer walk far due to my stage 4 osteoarthritis (knees) and would also require assistance through the airport. I can see them helping 1 person in your party, but both of you? Do you need some sort of medical proof? Otherwise, wouldn't EVERYONE want to be carted around? Flying has never interested us before and now that it may be the only option, I am terrified of all that's involved. It used to be the actual traveling in the air that bothered me, heights issue etc, but now its more getting through the airport that's freaking me out. We've heard MCO is pretty huge with various levels etc. and we'd both need assistance from start to finish. Is this even possible?

Now that DH is permanently disabled, we've had to adjust how we vacation. He always did the driving to Disney, then a few years ago I was able to drive a couple of times. Sadly, he is finding the actual travel days (3-4) to be just too much and I have to say its a bit much for me too. If I can ever get him back to Disney it might have to be by plane and, well, neither of us have ever flown before! Crazy I know.

Friends have told us that there are people at the airports to assist you through the airport to your gate etc. My concern now is, I can no longer walk far due to my stage 4 osteoarthritis (knees) and would also require assistance through the airport. I can see them helping 1 person in your party, but both of you? Do you need some sort of medical proof? Otherwise, wouldn't EVERYONE want to be carted around? Flying has never interested us before and now that it may be the only option, I am terrified of all that's involved. It used to be the actual traveling in the air that bothered me, heights issue etc, but now its more getting through the airport that's freaking me out. We've heard MCO is pretty huge with various levels etc. and we'd both need assistance from start to finish. Is this even possible?
While I’ve not used assistance at MCO, I have at several other airports (domestic and international) with my dad who also can no longer walk long distances, I found it to be very easy to request assistance via checking a couple of boxes when making the reservations, to indicate what type of assistance is needed and to what degree, ie need wheelchair, can walk jet bridge or need assistance to airplane doors, own wheelchair, etc. That way, it is part of your reservation and helps the airline to plan for the need for assistance. No medical proof is needed from my experience. If you don’t readily see the boxes to check, call the airline after booking to have them add it to your reservation. If you use a travel agent, they should be able to set all of this up for you.

I always allow extra time at the airports, including for transfers if it is not a non-stop flight. When arriving and checking in, confirm as you drop bags that the need for wheelchairs is on your reservations. There may be a wait for a wheelchair at checkin or a special area to get one; airlines have people around to ask and direct you or ask when you drop your bags. The wheelchair attendant will ask if you need assistance all the way to the gate; they’ve also made restroom stops if needed but do not assist there. Often there is a line of them at the gates when you get to your destination, sometimes the attendant will have a sign with your name on it (if you’ve added the need to your reservation) so you are sure to have one there for you.

When you get to your destination, they will wheelchair you to baggage claim and then out to the curb, but not any further…basically staying within the terminal.

When it comes to security, they will also get you through there, sometimes bypassing long lines. I’ve found them all to be great when traveling with my dad. They make it very easy to navigate the entire process from checkin to baggage claim.

While not required, it is nice to offer a small gratuity for their assistance if you are able to do so. Most will accept, some will graciously decline it.

You absolutely can both get assistance at the same time at the airport and through the terminal to the gate. You can call ahead to the airline once you have purchased your tickets and speak to someone in the disabilities department.
You do not have to give up WDW. There are many accommodations available for people in your exact situation.

Best of luck with your planning!

***I wonder if you wouldn't get the best and most current responses by posting on the Disabilities Board?

You absolutely can both get assistance at the same time at the airport and through the terminal to the gate. You can call ahead to the airline once you have purchased your tickets and speak to someone in the disabilities department.
You do not have to give up WDW. There are many accommodations available for people in your exact situation.

My parents both need wheelchair assistance at the airport and they manage. Also, I'm disabled, need wheelchair assistance at the airport, yet I travel to WDW solo once or twice a year. The wheelchair pushers are a terrific help going thru security-they know the routine. I'm often amazed at how helpful everyone is.

Yes as others have said, it is totally doable. My friend and I who both need help sometime, and who travel together, have had two pushers at times. Also, we have been carted in a golf cart type of thing. Usually there is somewhere to mark that you will need wheelchair help when you purchase your tickets. Also, wherever you first encounter airport personnel (such as at curbside checkin), you can tell them you need help getting through the airport, and they should make sure you are taken care of. It will normally be airport personnel, not airline personnel, that will help you with this, and they are usually very nice. Especially when you are changing planes, do not be afraid to tell them you need a stop by a bathroom, or a quick stop at a fast food place or convience store. Trips can be very long, and sometimes you need up fuel up or de-fuel, and they know this.

Pushers at MCO routinely push 2 chairs, one with each hand.

There is a shortage of Pushers at MCO. You'll probably have to wait. It's generally not first come first served. Pax closer to departure are given priority.

Tip, if your finances permit. I've never heard of a tip being refused..Maybe a disabled vet?

***I wonder if you wouldn't get the best and most current responses by posting on the Disabilities Board?
I thought this was the disAbilities board?

While I’ve not used assistance at MCO, I have at several other airports (domestic and international) with my dad who also can no longer walk long distances, I found it to be very easy to request assistance via checking a couple of boxes when making the reservations, to indicate what type of assistance is needed and to what degree, ie need wheelchair, can walk jet bridge or need assistance to airplane doors, own wheelchair, etc. That way, it is part of your reservation and helps the airline to plan for the need for assistance. No medical proof is needed from my experience. If you don’t readily see the boxes to check, call the airline after booking to have them add it to your reservation. If you use a travel agent, they should be able to set all of this up for you.

I always allow extra time at the airports, including for transfers if it is not a non-stop flight. When arriving and checking in, confirm as you drop bags that the need for wheelchairs is on your reservations. There may be a wait for a wheelchair at checkin or a special area to get one; airlines have people around to ask and direct you or ask when you drop your bags. The wheelchair attendant will ask if you need assistance all the way to the gate; they’ve also made restroom stops if needed but do not assist there. Often there is a line of them at the gates when you get to your destination, sometimes the attendant will have a sign with your name on it (if you’ve added the need to your reservation) so you are sure to have one there for you.

When you get to your destination, they will wheelchair you to baggage claim and then out to the curb, but not any further…basically staying within the terminal.

When it comes to security, they will also get you through there, sometimes bypassing long lines. I’ve found them all to be great when traveling with my dad. They make it very easy to navigate the entire process from checkin to baggage claim.

While not required, it is nice to offer a small gratuity for their assistance if you are able to do so. Most will accept, some will graciously decline it.

My parents both need wheelchair assistance at the airport and they manage. Also, I'm disabled, need wheelchair assistance at the airport, yet I travel to WDW solo once or twice a year. The wheelchair pushers are a terrific help going thru security-they know the routine. I'm often amazed at how helpful everyone is.

Yes as others have said, it is totally doable. My friend and I who both need help sometime, and who travel together, have had two pushers at times. Also, we have been carted in a golf cart type of thing. Usually there is somewhere to mark that you will need wheelchair help when you purchase your tickets. Also, wherever you first encounter airport personnel (such as at curbside checkin), you can tell them you need help getting through the airport, and they should make sure you are taken care of. It will normally be airport personnel, not airline personnel, that will help you with this, and they are usually very nice. Especially when you are changing planes, do not be afraid to tell them you need a stop by a bathroom, or a quick stop at a fast food place or convience store. Trips can be very long, and sometimes you need up fuel up or de-fuel, and they know this.

Pushers at MCO routinely push 2 chairs, one with each hand.

There is a shortage of Pushers at MCO. You'll probably have to wait. It's generally not first come first served. Pax closer to departure are given priority.

Tip, if your finances permit. I've never heard of a tip being refused..Maybe a disabled vet?

Thanks to all of you for all your advice and warnings! If we ever do fly it will definitely be NON-STOP!

The sky caps are absolutely life savers. They've always made it easier for us to get through security, as well. They earn every penny of whatever tip you're able to give. (I usually tip $20, but there's no rule.) And yes, I've been in one of two wheelchairs that were being pushed at the same time by the same person! Each of us had all of our luggage in our laps, too!

I used airport assistance for the first time back in May flying home from MCO and it was relatively easy. I just told my airline and also told them when I checked in and they got me the WC and someone to push it. They're used to it.

Also - mind how much you plan to take on the plane with you. One woman with me at the gate in a WC had a carry-on that was the size that needed the overhead bin and she was unable to lift it. Since she had already checked two bags with Southwest they were going to charge her $70 or whatever to check it. Some of us around her (someone's husband who was pushing his wife) agreed to load and unload it for her in the plane.

Anyway - don't bring a carry-on the size that needs the overhead bin in case you can't lift it as they may ask you to check it.

Just wanted to add about the lack of help at MCO. 6 months ago, we missed our flight. No way I could push DH with his rollator, backpack, roll bag and DVC bag with medical stuff.

This trip, we left disney extra extra early and of course had help and then had tons of time at gate.

The sky caps are absolutely life savers. They've always made it easier for us to get through security, as well. They earn every penny of whatever tip you're able to give. (I usually tip $20, but there's no rule.) And yes, I've been in one of two wheelchairs that were being pushed at the same time by the same person! Each of us had all of our luggage in our laps, too!

I used airport assistance for the first time back in May flying home from MCO and it was relatively easy. I just told my airline and also told them when I checked in and they got me the WC and someone to push it. They're used to it.

Also - mind how much you plan to take on the plane with you. One woman with me at the gate in a WC had a carry-on that was the size that needed the overhead bin and she was unable to lift it. Since she had already checked two bags with Southwest they were going to charge her $70 or whatever to check it. Some of us around her (someone's husband who was pushing his wife) agreed to load and unload it for her in the plane.

Anyway - don't bring a carry-on the size that needs the overhead bin in case you can't lift it as they may ask you to check it.

Just wanted to add about the lack of help at MCO. 6 months ago, we missed our flight. No way I could push DH with his rollator, backpack, roll bag and DVC bag with medical stuff.

This trip, we left disney extra extra early and of course had help and then had tons of time at gate.
Thanks for your experiences and advice. I'm pretty certain we would only bring a carry-on each. We bought extra light Heys carry-ons and have no problem lifting them thank goodness.

Yes, airlines will provide wheelchair assistance from check in all the way through getting off the plane for no extra charge. They can get you at dropoff, and someone will be there all the way until you're on the plane if you need it. Some caveats is that they are able to help you with your luggage through the airport, but once you're on the plane it's your responsibility. You will also be the first person on the plane and last person off, so connections need to be longer. And to answer the question of why everyone doesn't do it, the process takes a long time. Security takes longer due to the chair and other assistance devices, getting through the airport without using escalators takes longer, and at some points you may have to wait until the next chair is available.

Depending on what you're comfortable with, you can also do as much of the airport as you want on your own. Push yourself through check in and security, then have the gate agent check your chair and have someone just help you onto the plane.

Yes, airlines will provide wheelchair assistance from check in all the way through getting off the plane for no extra charge. They can get you at dropoff, and someone will be there all the way until you're on the plane if you need it. Some caveats is that they are able to help you with your luggage through the airport, but once you're on the plane it's your responsibility. You will also be the first person on the plane and last person off, so connections need to be longer. And to answer the question of why everyone doesn't do it, the process takes a long time. Security takes longer due to the chair and other assistance devices, getting through the airport without using escalators takes longer, and at some points you may have to wait until the next chair is available.

Depending on what you're comfortable with, you can also do as much of the airport as you want on your own. Push yourself through check in and security, then have the gate agent check your chair and have someone just help you onto the plane.
Just wanted to note, maybe not first person...but first group on. Have seen flights where there are a dozen preboarders. And perhaps not last off. We have had flights where the the wheelchairs are already waiting. However, I ended up waiting long time for DH rollator.

Hi all - please be aware that your experience may vary when it comes to airport assistance. My daughter (10) hurt her knee when we were at Disney in December. We were able to get a wheelchair in Orlando no problem and the airline requested one for when we arrived in Newark. We waited on the jet bridge for about 15 minutes after everyone else got off the plane, and finally the first officer got her a chair to at least wait in the terminal. He and the gate agent spent the next 45 minutes repeatedly calling to have a wheelchair sent. Finally I put her on my back, grabbed our backpacks, and walked for as long as I could manage. Then she got down and walked slowly until she couldn’t stand the pain anymore. We did this 2-3 times until we finally made it to where my husband could meet us. Not a single other airport worker offered to help us.

Hi all - please be aware that your experience may vary when it comes to airport assistance. My daughter (10) hurt her knee when we were at Disney in December. We were able to get a wheelchair in Orlando no problem and the airline requested one for when we arrived in Newark. We waited on the jet bridge for about 15 minutes after everyone else got off the plane, and finally the first officer got her a chair to at least wait in the terminal. He and the gate agent spent the next 45 minutes repeatedly calling to have a wheelchair sent. Finally I put her on my back, grabbed our backpacks, and walked for as long as I could manage. Then she got down and walked slowly until she couldn’t stand the pain anymore. We did this 2-3 times until we finally made it to where my husband could meet us. Not a single other airport worker offered to help us.
Getting a pusher may be an issue. Getting someone to deliver it may be an issue
Getting a wheelchair shouldn't. Have your daughter sit. You should find available wheelchairs by a gate, if not keep walking. There should be some by the ticket counter.

Getting a pusher may be an issue. Getting someone to deliver it may be an issue
Getting a wheelchair shouldn't. Have your daughter sit. You should find available wheelchairs by a gate, if not keep walking. There should be some by the ticket counter.
I could push but was told that the chairs by the gates are for the jet bridges only and can’t be taken by customers. We could only wait for an airport worker to come. Maybe it’s different in Newark?

I thought about grabbing one anyway but I don’t want to fool around with airport rules.

I could push but was told that the chairs by the gates are for the jet bridges only and can’t be taken by customers. We could only wait for an airport worker to come. Maybe it’s different in Newark?

I thought about grabbing one anyway but I don’t want to fool around with airport rules.
In Orlando there were lots of wheelchairs that could just be taken by customers. That’s how I got her to the gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter