Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Yay to Sobeys ON Blue Friday! Thought I'd never see one!

• Schneiders or Maple Leaf hams - 9.99 ea + 75AM when you buy 2
  • Smartfood delight kettle corn or organic Tostitos or Doritos (doesn't show the price but I'm sure these aren't more than $5 ea) + 75AM when you buy 3
  • Cadbury / Maynards - spend $10 get 50AM
  • Delverde pasta - 2.49 ea + 50AM when you buy 3
  • Nestle frozen - 5.49 ea + 40AM when you buy 2
  • Tia Rosa taco or fajita kits 4.99 + 25AM each
  • Selected K-cups 8.99 ea + 35AM when you buy 3
  • Selected Pepsi (various prices) + 60AM when you buy 3
  • Boost drinks - 8.99 ea + 40AM when you buy 2

Anyone else find the Shell Road To Rewards useless? I logged in to see how we did in August and it says we were at 37L but only updated August 10!? That would only be one fill-up for our car.

We went to Shell at least 8 times that month and most would have been 30+ litres.

thanks to everyone doing the work to make sense of the newly-posted WDW tickets. It sounds like they're in line with the actual ticket cost, but still...ouch! Earlier this year, 2 adult 7-day tickets cost me 6500 miles--it hurts to see that the same purchase would be over 10K miles now!

Trying to continue the positive streak: hopefully there'll be no problem adding hoppers for a reasonable price with these new tickets? That's my only complaint with the discounted tickets, and even as people who have always hopped in the past, we managed just fine with single day admission tix (and some extra cash in our pockets, since the tickets came from air miles). Maybe not a 4000 mile complaint...

Yay to Sobeys ON Blue Friday! Thought I'd never see one!

• Schneiders or Maple Leaf hams - 9.99 ea + 75AM when you buy 2
  • Smartfood delight kettle corn or organic Tostitos or Doritos (doesn't show the price but I'm sure these aren't more than $5 ea) + 75AM when you buy 3
  • Cadbury / Maynards - spend $10 get 50AM
  • Delverde pasta - 2.49 ea + 50AM when you buy 3
  • Nestle frozen - 5.49 ea + 40AM when you buy 2
  • Tia Rosa taco or fajita kits 4.99 + 25AM each
  • Selected K-cups 8.99 ea + 35AM when you buy 3
  • Selected Pepsi (various prices) + 60AM when you buy 3
  • Boost drinks - 8.99 ea + 40AM when you buy 2
:yay::yay::yay::yay:
Yes Yes Yes!
Thanks for posting
Hugs Mel
giphy.gif

images

200+%2824%29.gif

Last edited:
Airmiles math time.

WDW 7 Day base ticket (incl tax) $436.65.

5200AM = 5200/95*10=$547.37 Cdn

$547.37Cdn/1.2584 (today's rate a an exchange office)= $434.97 US

Looks like they are charging us the exact value they are getting on the tickets (assumes they can't purchase them at a discount from Disney) Now if the exchange rate changes we could be getting a deal again.

Ottawamom, I borrowed your math for the Airmiles for Disney Facebook page. There were some people commenting on what a big jump in Air Miles the passes are, but using your example, it makes sense. Thank you!

I look at it this way too. If this means our next trip is $1000 less for the 2 of us I consider that a good deal no matter how many AM. USD to CAD could get worse again anyhow!!

Me too! For our trip in February I've "bought" five of the WDW five day Canadian pricing passes, one regular WDW five day pass, and six Universal Orlando 2day passes. By using air miles for the passes, I've saved over $5K CAD.

heads up for anyone with Onyx in the Halifax area: 1 mile will get you a pair of tickets to the NSLC Festival of Wines. It says that the tickets have to be claimed by tomorrow (the 7th) so don't delay if it's something you're interested in.

The reward is listed under "Air Miles Event Exclusives." I hope someone gets to take advantage of this 1 mile reward!

Last edited:
Well Safeway is a bust this week. I noticed they actually have decent prices on things in this week's flyer. Which is probably why there are very few bonus am.
And I'm wondering if switching to cash miles for groceries and using that grocery money for my trip fund is a better plan than tickets. This way could use towards a package. 5200x4 is $2180 that could be put on a FD package. Ahhh...where is that crystal ball when we need it! If they still had the option to purchase GCs at shell with AM I'd do that in a heartbeat. Way more options to use up the cash miles.

So disappointed in the increase in miles for Disney tickets. I finally had enough to buy 2 tickets to WDW for 5 days and now they are gone up.

So my dilemma is that there is a promo on PC points this weekend. Spend $100 get 15,000 points. I guess I will have to see the Sobeys flyer to see what I might want to buy.

Does anyone think it would be worthwhile to buy the Visa gift cards from Sobeys using my Amex to pay? I realize that there is a $6 fee per card. I would need 2 cards(maybe 3)so I would get the 40 bonus, 20 for using my Amex and then it counts towards the Amex spend $400. My daughter needs to get her books for uni this weekend and the stupid school payment site won't take any of my credit cards so I could give her the gift cards. The only down side to her not paying with the school card is that she won't earn the 10% bookstore rewards.

One other question...

Any thoughts on redeeming for the discounted child WDW tickets and then paying to change them to adult tickets? I've done it before with regular tickets and was just charged the difference between the child and adult price. I'm wondering what I could possibly be charged on these discounted tickets? Could it still be worthwhile considering the increase in AM?

One other question...

Any thoughts on redeeming for the discounted child WDW tickets and then paying to change them to adult tickets? I've done it before with regular tickets and was just charged the difference between the child and adult price. I'm wondering what I could possibly be charged on these discounted tickets? Could it still be worthwhile considering the increase in AM?
That's what I was wondering about too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter