• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Happy Mother's Day
"So mom what would you like for Mother's Day"!
Me: One shopping trip to Rexall "alone" no limits on my spending!
Hugs everyone
Mel

f04976a00776c39b6de5fdaf0034a929.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Mother's Day everyone!

I am a little gleeful - we just had our first AM-specific shopping trip this weekend! And actually earned some points! FINALLY the silly Safeway flyer with the Frequent Purchase coupons came... so we were able to use the "spend $130 on groceries, get 50 bonus miles" coupon. And there were a bunch of random items in-store that were "buy 2, get bonus AM" so in the cart they went... Then DH looked at what I had bought, realized I forgot some things, and went back again... so we managed to get 176 AM out of the day. YAY!

I don't think there's going to be anything in the MegaMiles flyer for us, there is nothing my DH hates more than crazy couponers and the people who drive all over town to "get a deal", only to empty the store shelves. I have actually had the conversation with him about not driving across the city to a store because the item's on sale. He's like, "time is money, being on the road is a liability, you're burning fuel... do the real math and realize that saving $10 is not worth spending two hours to do so!" :D

Experts -can u check my math?

1. Go to Shell to buy Foodland GCs for 7x the air miles (70 AM for every $100 GC)
2. Use Scotiabank Amex to pay for the GC with 4% back in travel for gas, groceries, dining, entertainment. ($4 in travel for $100 spend)
3. Go to Foodland to buy 40 boxes of $2.50/box Nature Valley granola bars - buy 10 boxes, get 150 AM. (600 AM for $100 spend)
4. Use Mega Miles coupon (60 AM for a$100 spend)
Total: 730 AM - $77 worth of cashback Air Miles or Dream Miles for my Disney ticket for $100 spend + $4 in travel for a grand total of $81 back for a $100 spend.

Is my math right?

1. Go to Shell to buy Foodland GCs for 7x the air miles (70 AM for every $100 GC)
2. Use Scotiabank Amex to pay for the GC with 4% back in travel for gas, groceries, dining, entertainment. ($4 in travel for $100 spend)
3. Go to Foodland to buy 40 boxes of $2.50/box Nature Valley granola bars - buy 10 boxes, get 150 AM. (600 AM for $100 spend)
Total: 730 AM - $77 worth of cashback Air Miles or Dream Miles for my Disney ticket for $100 spend + $4 in travel for a grand total of $81 back for a $100 spend.

Is my math right?

Somebody a few posts ago said the Shell gift card deal wasn't on anymore. You might want to check that first.

I picked up 9 of the 3/$5 granola bars and 1 of the $2.45 bars at the Sobeys nearest my Mom's house. Of course the AM didn't post.
The supervisor said that they were "backloaded" and would credit within a month. I don't believe them, but she was adamant that they were NOT allowed to credit the miles.
I love my "local" Sobeys and Foodland. Both of them are always so apologetic when the miles don't credit and use their "make it right" card to credit them right away.

I picked up 9 of the 3/$5 granola bars and 1 of the $2.45 bars at the Sobeys nearest my Mom's house. Of course the AM didn't post.
The supervisor said that they were "backloaded" and would credit within a month. I don't believe them, but she was adamant that they were NOT allowed to credit the miles.
I love my "local" Sobeys and Foodland. Both of them are always so apologetic when the miles don't credit and use their "make it right" card to credit them right away.

I don't believe them either. Those things always post right away if they are going to post at all.

Waiting for Rexall cash miles to post then will use the MM Sobey's coupon on Friday. This will be my last MM coupon to use. I wonder whether I should go one more round to Rexall and use the load to go coupon tomorrow. Then use another MM coupon at Sobey Urban Fresh just in case. Am I worried too much?

Is my math right?
Your math looks good to me. Great stacking! Though that's a lot of granola bars, lol.
I bought gift cards at Shell yesterday and today. Both days the 7x worked.

Your math looks good to me. Great stacking! Though that's a lot of granola bars, lol.
I bought gift cards at Shell yesterday and today. Both days the 7x worked.
That's awesome. Still thinking about it. My DH pointed out that $2.50 is not the absolute best price for those granola bars. And that it would be too much to eat. If we did it - we would likely do it to donate to our local food banks.

Thank goodness for this thread! If I hadn't read this, I wouldn't have known to check my receipt to make sure the Sobey's granola bars offer went through. It didn't show up at all and I bought 30 boxes of granola bars/pizza pops/cereal. They credited me at the courtesy desk.

Also, I bought $200 worth of gift cards at Shell today (2 different transactions) and their system wasn't working. The clerk said the gift cards were part of the 7X deal. The receipt said the airmiles would be credited but it was unable to show the airmiles on the receipt at that time. Has anyone had this happen? I'm REALLY hoping they go through and I get 7X the airmiles.

Thank goodness for this thread! If I hadn't read this, I wouldn't have known to check my receipt to make sure the Sobey's granola bars offer went through. It didn't show up at all and I bought 30 boxes of granola bars/pizza pops/cereal. They credited me at the courtesy desk.

Also, I bought $200 worth of gift cards at Shell today (2 different transactions) and their system wasn't working. The clerk said the gift cards were part of the 7X deal. The receipt said the airmiles would be credited but it was unable to show the airmiles on the receipt at that time. Has anyone had this happen? I'm REALLY hoping they go through and I get 7X the airmiles.

It happened to me once with the Costa Coffee. The system was suddenly down and it was later posted as 10 AM instead of 50 AM. I had to contact AM via live chat to get that fixed. You should check to make sure the correct amount of AM is posted.

It happened to me once with the Costa Coffee. The system was suddenly down and it was later posted as 10 AM instead of 50 AM. I had to contact AM via live chat to get that fixed. You should check to make sure the correct amount of AM is posted.

Did you have to wait 120 days?

Thank you! I was able to get a spot.

Me too. Reading the details, just wondering what "stand-alone" means? One of the Shell stations I use is also a Mac's milk location and has good gift cards. If the gift cards count, I could load up at the beginning of June with the 7X promo and qualify for the Amex offer at the same time.

Me too. Reading the details, just wondering what "stand-alone" means? One of the Shell stations I use is also a Mac's milk location and has good gift cards. If the gift cards count, I could load up at the beginning of June with the 7X promo and qualify for the Amex offer at the same time.

My take (but I'm just guessing, so take it for what it's worth), is that "standalone" is meant to exclude places like Costco that run a gas bar as part of their larger business. Of course you can't use Amex at Costco anyway, so maybe that's moot. Canadian Tire? They say: "Merchants are typically assigned codes and categorized based on what they sell". I've never used a credit card that gives "4% back on gas, 3% on restaurants, and 2% on space suits for intergalactic travel", but I think that's what they're getting at here. If one of those targeted reward cards would work on gift cards at Shell, then presumably this would too. Most likely you'll be okay.

If anyone has one of those multi-discount reward cards and can confirm that gift card purchases at Shell qualify as "gas" purchases, I'd really like to know the answer too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter