Airlline changes our departing flight time - Can we make it?

Tiggerish

DIS Veteran
We are booked on the 4 day Wonder returning on May 18th. Our airfare was booked back in August. Yesterday I got an email saying the airline had changed our schedule.

The departure time is now 11:53 AM which is almost two hours earlier than the scheduled time when we bought the tickets. Originally was 1:40 PM

We do have first seating on the ship so we will be in the first group to disembark and are planning on using a towncar service van for transportation.

I checked the airline's site and there is only one other non-stop flight and that does not depart until after 6 PM. Since my brother has a four drive to get home after the airport, that presents other issues but does show having available seats.

Should I call the airline and ask for the later flight or can we make the earlier flight. Making the earlier flight is my preference since we won't have to hang in the airport all day and it will allow my brother and family a good schedule for the drive home from the airport. On the other hand, I do not want to miss the plane!
:confused3

Similar thing has happend to us for our upcomming trip. While it's cutting it a bit close, I think you should be OK. You just gotta "love" these last minute schedule changes by the airlines . . . .

You should be fine making a 11:53 flight. DCL does not recommend anything before noon, & you are very close to that.

You can disembark at any time, does not matter if you have early/late seating which determines what time your sit-down breakfast is on the last day. You can skip this & go to the buffet if you desire.

We were at the airport by around 10:30. While it's cutting it close I agree I think you can make it.

Our flights were booked through Disney and they have us on an 11:30 am flight to go home. While we have the later breakfast seating I think will be eating at the buffet and getting off the ship ASAP. We have Disney transportation as well to MCO. We plan on checking in with the airline at the Port. We sail on the 2/19. I'll post how it went. :)

The ship is usually cleared by 7:30 am, if there are no delays or special circumstances. That should get you to the airport in time. :)

Mom323 said:
Amlee, What time did you leave the ship?

Our ship didn't clear until 7:45. We were in line at the buffet before it opened at 6:30. They DID NOT make the announcment in the buffet that that ship had cleared. It just so happened one of my brothers had gone out side and heard the announcment and came to tell us. But we were off the ship by 8:00. Through customs, checked in at Delta, and on the DCL bus by 8:30. We had a very bad DCL driver. He stayed on his cellphone for 35 minutes during the drive. 3 DCL buses that left after us passed us, before my mother got up and got on to him. We should have got to MCO sooner than the 10:30

I would push the flight back based on my experience. Disney does not recommend flights before 12:30, and we barely made our flight.
There was no delay in the ship being cleared, but face it, it takes a while to get 2700 people off the ship.
After 7 cruises, 6 on other lines, I have made it clear that I consider Disney's lack of a system to get off the ship to be a disaster. We waited in line 45 minutes to get off the ship. Most cruise lines have passengers disembark based on when their flight leaves....not Disney.
The system INSIDE the terminal to claim luggage is another story, that was great, only 10 minutes to get our luggage, clear customs/immigration, check bags at the port, board the Disney bus, and be on our way.
Next problem, 90 minute wait to clear security at the airport.

tvguy said:
I would push the flight back based on my experience. Disney does not recommend flights before 12:30, and we barely made our flight.
There was no delay in the ship being cleared, but face it, it takes a while to get 2700 people off the ship.
After 7 cruises, 6 on other lines, I have made it clear that I consider Disney's lack of a system to get off the ship to be a disaster. We waited in line 45 minutes to get off the ship. Most cruise lines have passengers disembark based on when their flight leaves....not Disney.
The system INSIDE the terminal to claim luggage is another story, that was great, only 10 minutes to get our luggage, clear customs/immigration, check bags at the port, board the Disney bus, and be on our way.

OH don't forget those NON-US cititzens that forget to take part in the customs meeting that morning! I was on a ship once we were delayed 2 hours while they hunted two girls up. They paged them and paged them. It was to the point we over guest were like what cabin are they in???

tvguy said:

It must have been bad timing, your the only one I have heard say anything negative about disembarking DCL. We had no waiting... :thumbsup2

We've been on 4 prior Disney cruises and the latest we ever got to the airport was 10:00 am. We have a 12:00 noon flight for our 5th Disney cruise later this month. I think you will make it, with plenty of time to spare. While there is always the possibility that something could go wrong and cause a significant delay, that would be an exception, and not the norm.

Have a great trip.

tvguy said:

He mentions this on several other posts. Quite the pet peeve. It seems to me that only people who want to get off as soon as they open the gang way ever have much of a wait. We've always had second seating for breakfast and walk easily off the ship. And I don't think we've ever gotten to the air port past 10 AM.

allears said:
He mentions this on several other posts. Quite the pet peeve. It seems to me that only people who want to get off as soon as they open the gang way ever have much of a wait. We've always had second seating for breakfast and walk easily off the ship. And I don't think we've ever gotten to the air port past 10 AM.

We had second seating too, and when we came down to wait to eat about 7:45 was amazed by the line. It was even worse by 8:30 am when we finished eating and were ready to leave. The line went all the way to Parrot Cay, and circled several times inside . Even with a system, it would still take some time to get 2700 people off the ship. My posts are just a warning to those that have cruised before on other lines, that they may be wary of this and plan extra time in the final day schedule to depart the ship.
There were only three things I found less than perfect on Disney. The other two were no hours for those under 18 in the gym, and having the show before late seating, instead of after.
I was pleased however, with the Golden Mickeys, that they did offer a third, late showing for those who didn't want to go to the early showing, or those that wanted to see the show a second time. THAT, was good thinking.
At least I'm not complaining about not having my favorite brand of (ketchup, beer, soda, margarine, donut,mustard, mayonaise, artificial sweetner, fill in the blank) on board the ship like some do. :rotfl2:

We got up, left our cabin about 7:45, had breakfast in Topsiders and then strolled off the ship around 8:45 - 9:00 since we weren't in any rush. We were through customs, on a bus and at the Coronado Springs resort by 10:30 or 11:00.

The line TVGUY spoke of could be caused if Border Security failed to clear the ship at the normal time or if the ship got into port late because of weather or some other reason. If they normally clear the ship for debarkation at 7:30 but this time it was held up till 8:30 then all the folks who would have strolled off the ship between 7:30 and 8:30 are caught waiting in line just like when there's a wreck on the freeway that creates a bottleneck. Not NORMAL at all.

Tiggerish said:
We are booked on the 4 day Wonder returning on May 18th. Our airfare was booked back in August. Yesterday I got an email saying the airline had changed our schedule.

The departure time is now 11:53 AM which is almost two hours earlier than the scheduled time when we bought the tickets. Originally was 1:40 PM

You'll probably make it just fine but why risk it because of the airline's business changes? The airline isn't going to give you it's best offer up front, it's going to give you it's easiest (i.e. change your flight).

I'd check to see if there are cheaper flights on another airline or perhaps the next day.

If so, I'd call the airline and explain to them that you are returning from a cruise and that the earliest flight you can make is 12:30. Ask for either a full refund or a flight the next day with compensation for hotel.

At least I'm not complaining about not having my favorite brand of (ketchup, beer, soda, margarine, donut,mustard, mayonaise, artificial sweetner, fill in the blank) on board the ship like some do.

That was so funny! :rotfl2:

Thanks CM Mom for the explanation, we've also never experienced a line after late breakfast.

We grab a donut at the buffet and line up early, usually one of the first to get off the ship and we make it to magic kingdom in time for the 9am opening! You should have no problem with a noon flight as long as you dont sit around having late breakfast and wait till its late to get on line to get off the ship.

Thanks for all the insights and opinions. My brother (and his wife) and I talked it over and decided to accept the facts that:

(1) Some of us are worriers (who will remain nameless :rolleyes1 ) so that it would be a back of the mind, nagging concern detracting from the relaxing cruise experience;

(2) we are meeting our parents (in their late 70's) for the cruise and would want to make sure that they get off the ship and back into their car before we took off for airport :grouphug: and,

(3) some of us (who shall also remain nameless :rolleyes1 ) have a harder time than others getting organized and moving early in the morning.

Sooooo - calls to the airline were made and with much thanks to American Airlines customer service reps. We are now all booked on the 6:22 PM flight instead without any fees or increased costs. I also went ahead and booked a day room at the Hyatt for us to hang out at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter