• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airlines upgrades question for you ....

:goodvibes
as a purchaser of UC tickets it does annoy me when people are literally asking for free upgrades at the desk as I've paid alot of cash so why should they just swan in for free??!!

I understand the upgrade procedure with overbooked seating - but it still rankles me to see people rushing forwards into UC from PE with a huge grin on their face and me thinking about the thousands I've spent to sit where he is for less than half price!

so the question is .... much as you may really really want a free upgrade, how would you honestly feel if you'd paid for your ticket and suddenly down next to you plops the family from down the road who've been upgraded and are grinning like cheshire cats?

I understand what you mean but many people, myself included. Could never afford to fly UC at that price. So obviously if they got a free upgrade they wouldnt say no. And if they have had the nerve to ask for it, fair play to them. If you dont ask you dont get!

I wouldnt feel put out if someone had been upgraded for free, maybe a little envious but nothing more.

Its the same as when you book flights, i booked mine for Sept ages ago as i wanted to guarantee i would get on that flight, friends who have now decided to go several months after i booked my flight have now got the same flight over !£150 cheaper! Yes im bit jealous but its their good luck!

Another here who got upgraded for free with two children in tow (similar ages to yours now Jo, and I have no Dr Miffy2003 either :teeth: )

This was from Economy to PE in August 02.

As to the question, I guess I can see why it might be annoying to have paid full price and then have someone bumped up who paid far less. Still, you have a guaranteed seat in the class you want which is what you paid for.

I would like to think I would be pleased for their good fortune :goodvibes

A word of advice NEVER ask. I once heard the couple in front of us at check in ask if they could get an upgrade as it was some special occasion or other. To say it amused the staff was something of an understatement word spread down the desks instantly and all the staff were laughing and pointing. It was really embarrassing. It made my toes curl and I wasn't the one who had asked.

I have never been upgraded but in April I went to New York and on both out and inbound flights the plane was less than half full. Due to regulations on the spread of passengers for take off we were all put at the back of the plane but were told we could move as soon as we were in the air. We all did and had a whole row of 4 each to lie down on .... bliss. I heard some PE passengers complaining to cabin crew that they weren't offered the option of spreading out first. :)

But you have the choice yourself, nobody forces you to pay for UC. You have the right to book economy and ask yourself. Strong chances are you wont get an upgrade.
Its not the travellers fault, if the system allows for upgrades then you cant blame the traveller.
Personally I would be happy for whoever got the upgrade but annoyed with the airline.
Its exactly the same if I pay for a package holiday down to Europe and pay say £750pp then I get there and someone booked last minute and paid £250pp. I would say "wow great price but I couldn't take the risk of not getting exactly what I want"
I don't think you can blame the traveller IMHO only the system.
I would never even dare ask for an upgrade, just accept whichever class I paid for.

I'm with Wayneg on this one - btw I've enever been upgraded, don't expect to be, but certainly wouldn't turn it down if offered!

Ah! the "Holy Grail" The Operation Upgrade (op-up)

nine times out of ten, the check in staff have no control over these upgrades.
the check in staff mostly these days are outsourced and have no authority to upgrade, hence the upgrades at the gate, where for oerational reasons, i.e overbooking, an airline member will carry out the manual upgrade.

The airline will have decided before you check in either on-line, at twilight or normal check in who will be op-upped, based on a series of items
1) the ticket class (full fare tix over discounted tix)
2) Highest level of Frequent Flyer (i.e. for Virgin the 50, then Gold Card then silver then red, but also allied to the type of fare class you have paid, if you are a Gold Card holder but are flying discounted economy ticket, then you aint gonna be first in line for UC!)
3) no special meal against your booking as these are one-offs, they caost more than the normal fayre, so if they op-up you they won't serve a econ special meal in UC so have to throw it away, cost!
4) in most cases, a group of people (family will be at the bottom, no airline wants to upgrade children into the buisness class cabin for fear of the effect it has on the full fare paying buisnessmen)
5) single passenger flying alone, easier to op-up than a couple or family
6) any errr.. "notes" on your flying record with the airline. I am sure you know what I mean!

6) any errr.. "notes" on your flying record with the airline. I am sure you know what I mean!

:confused3 Got no idea they did this - but thinking about some behavior I've read about I can understand it.

As for me, never been upgraded :sad2: but would say yes if offered :banana:

If I could afford to, or should I say WHEN I can afford to, I WILL be booking and paying full cost for a better quality of flight in an upgraded cabin.

I think that's the main point, for those who can travel UC or PE you have paid for those seats. You know you will not be travelling in E. For those of us who book E we have the very removed chance that one day we might be upgraded. I akin it to winning the lottery......

I've never expected to be upgraded though I would love it to happen :love: but I can wait until the time when my three daughters are out of university and I can afford it :woohoo:

I'd never have ill feelings towards anyone who was upgraded. Good for them. For a lot of people going to Orlando from the UK (or where ever) is expensive enough going via E. Let them enjoy the luxury if they have the chance to.

A word of advice NEVER ask. I once heard the couple in front of us at check in ask if they could get an upgrade as it was some special occasion or other. To say it amused the staff was something of an understatement word spread down the desks instantly and all the staff were laughing and pointing. It was really embarrassing. It made my toes curl and I wasn't the one who had asked.

I have never been upgraded but in April I went to New York and on both out and inbound flights the plane was less than half full. Due to regulations on the spread of passengers for take off we were all put at the back of the plane but were told we could move as soon as we were in the air. We all did and had a whole row of 4 each to lie down on .... bliss. I heard some PE passengers complaining to cabin crew that they weren't offered the option of spreading out first. :)

when we went on honeymoon we flew BA to the Bahamas, Club World. At the Economy check-in their was a couple (also on honeymoon, as were loads more because it was a "Sandals resort" weekl flight at that time) and they asked for an upgrade as they were honeymooners, then again at the gate, then again at the resort AND on the way home they were at it again!!!

it was cringingly embarrassing, they seemed to think that honeymoon = upgrades despite the fact probably half the flight was honeymooners.

Did they get any upgrades ..... err no! and I seem to recall when we did venture back into economy to be nosey and see where they were sitting - lets just say they were the worst seats in the house!

i have never been ug on a flight but the last hollidays i have been on have been girl hollidays and familey lol chances are i wasn't gonna get it
but ...
my boyf booked me tickets 4 my fave band in milton keans (greenday)
and thought we could just "wing it" :confused3 well all the hotel's were booked up in mk so and there was no transport to liverpool that late so we thought hey what about london well make a weekend out of it there both south :rotfl2: anyway we got the mega bus down to london ( classy lol)
then we started looking 4 a hotel in london and we found lastminute.com michael was like no we'll end up with some scatty hotel and i was like so its some were to sleep he was all like hannah lets just go there i was like try last minute first and were not stingy or anything i was perfectly awear of london hotel prices but every1 likes a bargin lol so we went to last minute and got a fantastic hotel 5* for £100 a night !!!! which is a brilliant price but for london we got to the hotel and it was a £600 a night hotel we got breakfast inc and then we got a late check out and i had a fab late birtday weekend :cheer2:

That is how it is "supposed" to happen, but generally not how it does happen.... Predominantly because airlines don't know how many people they need to upgrade before check-in: all airlines "oversell" seats and don't know who s going to turn up or not. Airlines tend not to upgrade unless they have to, so most upgrades are done either towards the end of check-in or after cjeck-in closes (and they know that they HAVE to upgrade people). In general it is easier for airlines to upgrade people infront of them (who look half human/presentable) rather than go through their computer systems selecting the people who should be upgraded...

The most important thing is to be the right person, in the right place at the right time...

When I have been upgraded:
1) We have NEVER been on full fare/expensive ticket (always discount economy or discount business class)
2) Have not been a very frequent flyer on any of the airlines I have been upgraded by.
3) Have been upgraded mostly as a couple and have been upgraded with my parents (when I was a teen).

I have never been upgraded before check-in - twice at check-in, the rest of the times at the gate. They can upgrade you at check-in, but it take a supervisor to upgrade passengers: so if a supervisor checks you in or the check-in agent gets a supervisor to approve the upgrade, you are fine.

Even "dress code" is not hugely important - have been upgraded quite a few times wearing jeans...

We NEVER ask for upgrades, just have a reasonably good record of being "the right people in the right place at the right time"... :cool1: . But - to be honest - nowdays we mostly pay for Business Class anyway.

Alice

Ah! the "Holy Grail" The Operation Upgrade (op-up)

nine times out of ten, the check in staff have no control over these upgrades.
the check in staff mostly these days are outsourced and have no authority to upgrade, hence the upgrades at the gate, where for oerational reasons, i.e overbooking, an airline member will carry out the manual upgrade.

The airline will have decided before you check in either on-line, at twilight or normal check in who will be op-upped, based on a series of items
1) the ticket class (full fare tix over discounted tix)
2) Highest level of Frequent Flyer (i.e. for Virgin the 50, then Gold Card then silver then red, but also allied to the type of fare class you have paid, if you are a Gold Card holder but are flying discounted economy ticket, then you aint gonna be first in line for UC!)
3) no special meal against your booking as these are one-offs, they caost more than the normal fayre, so if they op-up you they won't serve a econ special meal in UC so have to throw it away, cost!
4) in most cases, a group of people (family will be at the bottom, no airline wants to upgrade children into the buisness class cabin for fear of the effect it has on the full fare paying buisnessmen)
5) single passenger flying alone, easier to op-up than a couple or family

Sorry Alice,
but the majority of upgrades are decided by Revenue management before everybody starts to check in.
Only when they have no room at the back do they then start to do op-ups at the gate.
I cannot comment as to why you have been so lucky its one of those things, but you can be and I have been, upgraded by various airlines whilst cheking in on line

The only time i have been upgraded is when I was a child - 9 years old travelling to Geneva from London with my mother and two grandmothers. We were late and rushing for the flight and met at the gate by apologetic staff asking if we minded sitting in first class! We were booked in economy but of course we didn't mind! I have to say we were all smartly dressed but at that stage I suspect it was a case of, economy is full so anyone else will go where there is a space.

Mel
x

We will have to disagree on this - since I believe that the vast majority of upgrades happen towards the end of check-in (and onwards). There is little point in airlines doing the majority of upgrades before anyone checks-in (since, at that point, there is little indication regarding "no shows"). Airlines tend to only upgrade people because they have to, not because "there is a good chance that they will have to"...

It doesn't mean that airlines don't upgrade people before online check-in - as you yourself have experienced - but it is rarer than airport upgrades.

Alice

Sorry Alice,
but the majority of upgrades are decided by Revenue management before everybody starts to check in.
Only when they have no room at the back do they then start to do op-ups at the gate.
I cannot comment as to why you have been so lucky its one of those things, but you can be and I have been, upgraded by various airlines whilst cheking in on line

We will have to disagree on this - since I believe that the vast majority of upgrades happen towards the end of check-in (and onwards). There is little point in airlines doing the majority of upgrades before anyone checks-in (since, at that point, there is little indication regarding "no shows"). Airlines tend to only upgrade people because they have to, not because "there is a good chance that they will have to"...

It doesn't mean that airlines don't upgrade people before online check-in - as you yourself have experienced - but it is rarer than airport upgrades.

Alice

Alice,
Difference of opinion here :goodvibes
Revenue management control the amount of meals in each cabin, the cost of providing services etc and this is done some 24-48 hours before a flight.
This is the main reason why op-ups are rare as they cost the airline and the bean counters running them these days don't like it. :rotfl:

my colleague used to work in 'space control' for virgin and was responsible for sorting upgrades, and did so many times at the check in desk. i have been upgraded for free, i have also paid for upgrades, i have also asked and been upgraded too, it never hurts to ask, if you're polite and friendly.
If i paid for business and someone got upgraded for free, I'd just think 'good for them' resenting that would be like resenting the guy who works in the Aston garage who gets to try out the cars, its just the luck of the draw

Alice,
Difference of opinion here :goodvibes

Indeed :goodvibes

This is the main reason why op-ups are rare as they cost the airline and the bean counters running them these days don't like it. :rotfl:

Not sure that they are that rare... I have had quite a few, but have also witnessed quite a lot. I was once on a Virgin flight at least a dozen of us were upgraded (economy to UC). Have been on United flights where at least half a dozen or more people have been upgraded at the same time. Have witnessed many others too.

Of course, it depends when you travel, where you travel from and how full the flight is. I would be VERY suprised if many full (or virtually full) flights go out without any operational upgrades. You only have to listen out for announcements made from the Gate podium to witness many op-ups (most of the names called will be op-ups, some will be "stand-by" fliers).

I agree with Carol - it is never a good thing to resent other people's good fortune... :)

Alice

You got me wondering about this....

Do you mean any negative issues on previous flights or do you mean a positive note, i.e. "BIL of Richard Branson" etc?

About 5 years ago we had an incident on a VA flight that ended up with me having my fingers bandaged for the first week of our holiday. This was through no fault of our own. Negotiations started and resulted in me receiving a single return flight to any location. Would this be recorded as a negative on my notes?

hmmm...also, forgot to mention, I have never been upgraded either.... but would jump at the chance. :Pinkbounc :bounce:

You got me wondering about this....

Do you mean any negative issues on previous flights or do you mean a positive note, i.e. "BIL of Richard Branson" etc?

About 5 years ago we had an incident on a VA flight that ended up with me having my fingers bandaged for the first week of our holiday. This was through no fault of our own. Negotiations started and resulted in me receiving a single return flight to any location. Would this be recorded as a negative on my notes?

Both types of note. More often the former.
I wouldn't think that your notes would be marked as a negative, you wern't a disruptive passenger were you? The fingers wern't damaged by you dancing on the bar? or trying to play with one of the FA's?? :rotfl:

I am surprised that after the incident you did not get an upgrade??

Indeed :goodvibes

Not sure that they are that rare... I have had quite a few, but have also witnessed quite a lot. I was once on a Virgin flight at least a dozen of us were upgraded (economy to UC). Have been on United flights where at least half a dozen or more people have been upgraded at the same time. Have witnessed many others too.

Of course, it depends when you travel, where you travel from and how full the flight is. I would be VERY suprised if many full (or virtually full) flights go out without any operational upgrades. You only have to listen out for announcements made from the Gate podium to witness many op-ups (most of the names called will be op-ups, some will be "stand-by" fliers).

I agree with Carol - it is never a good thing to resent other people's good fortune... :)

Alice

Alice
it can happen if there has been a change of plane configuration, such as a Heathrow configured 747 instead of a gatwick 747 for instance, a lot more UC seats and much less PE seats, or even a complete change of aircraft type.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter