• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airlines forcing you to sign your child's passport?

That is nuts...we have driven into the states a number of times with our passports...never been questioned that our son's is not signed. We intend to use our passports to board the planes for our upcoming trip...although we are driving into the States, so the flights are domestic. My son cannot sign his passport, nor can I sign it for him...I am not voiding the thing...it is a pain to renew as I will not send his ID in the mail, so I have to drive to another city...I work so...not easy to do...to get it a new one. Children's passports cannot be renewed, you have to reapply.

I renewed 2 adult and 2 kids passports this morning and interestingly the agent in Halifax said, "don't have your kids sign their passports until they turn 11"

If i were in the US and TSB or border patrol staff said "sign it" ... I probably would ... even though it would cost me renewal fees

I just did passports for 5 kids last friday and I had them all sign the application. When I got to the passport office the application for the 1 child under 11 the agent crossed out the signature block and said I wasn't supposed to have her sign it. It was supposed to be blank so according to the people issuing the passports that space is supposed to be blank if the child is under 11. I'd be pretty upset if someone denied my family access to a plane unless I agreed to let a child sign the passport causing it to be voided.

I chatted with Delta via twitter and they said that a desk agent should not have asked for a signature on a kids passport, as it is not required even in the USA.

I want to make sure that I am understanding this correctly...

When we applied for passports last year prior to our February vacation our daughter was only 10 and therefore didn't sign her passport. She is now 11. We will be going on holidays again this winter. So she could be required to sign her passport this time? And if she does, the passport will still be valid since she is now 11?

Yes, when she turns 11, she should sign her passport. Yes, it will remain valid when she signs it.

but the picture page will say signature not required in the box where a signature would be. so if you had the child sign the facing page would that not void the passport regardless of the age of the child?

I want to make sure that I am understanding this correctly...

When we applied for passports last year prior to our February vacation our daughter was only 10 and therefore didn't sign her passport. She is now 11. We will be going on holidays again this winter. So she could be required to sign her passport this time? And if she does, the passport will still be valid since she is now 11?

That's a tricky one. She will have to sign when you renew but I'm not sure if she's supposed to sign her current passport. I would call them http://www.ppt.gc.ca/service/contact.aspx

Yes, when she turns 11, she should sign her passport. Yes, it will remain valid when she signs it.

I'm not sure she should sign it, all of the signatures are digital now and printed on the passport, I would call Passport Canada to verify.

I was there in person yesterday (at the passport office)... when they I renewed my 10 year olds passport, I was told (without asking) to make sure my son signs his passport as soon as he turns 11. Simple as that ...

See http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc155.pdf This is CHILD GENERAL PASSPORT APPLICATION.

Section L states:
"SIGNATURE
Children 11 years of age or over must sign their usual signature. The child's signature in section 1 will appear in the passport. Therefore, the signature must not exceed the inner limits of the signature box
."

I believe the answer to this question is no - do not have her sign her passport. From the canadian passport site frequently asked question list it states:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?lang=eng&id=q1301

Frequently asked questions
Does my child need to sign his or her passport?

The signature block above the photograph for the passport of a child
under 11 must be left blank and should not be signed by either parent.

Children who are 11 years of age or over are required to sign their
passport only if their signature appears on page 2 of the passport.
Otherwise, the signature block should be left blank on page 3.

Therefore; only have her sign if there is a signature on page 2. My daughters passport does not have a signature on page 2. Instead it says "signature not required".

Reading the above ... I think the answer is clearly No ... I'm still confused

This is what I received from a query I put into the passport office

Thank you for your message of December 2, 2011.

When a passport is issued to a child under 11 years of age, a signature is not required and the signature space above the photograph must be left blank and the passport should not be signed by anyone.

Please note that the passport should not be signed once the child reaches 11 years of age. Otherwise, you might experience delays at border crossings of other countries.

We trust this information is of assistance to you.

It looks like they are saying NO also ....

This is where I put the question in at https://www.pptc.gc.ca/service/contact/general.aspx?lang=eng

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter