Airlines Bumping

danield

Earning My Ears
I am flying next week to MCO. Anybody had any experience with overbooked flights and being bumped? Did you get fair compensation from the airlines?

Thanks

Daniel

We're looking to be bumped (we read about the rules). we don't care if we have to take another flight or the flight the next morning as long as the compensation is sufficient (ticket refund, check, etc).

Our plane is already full according to the seating plan. We arrive at airport 2.5 hrs before departure. This is a flight between YUL (montreal) - LGA - MCO

Daniel

They usually will give you a voucher for a round trip ticket. The plane may show full on the seating plan but they have seats blocked off that only airport agents can assign so it may not be as full as you think.

When you get to the airport mention to the gate agent that you are volunteering to be bumped if the plane is full. How many of you are flying together? They may not bump all of you.

We're 4 of us. as long as arrive within a short time we can managed being bumped 2 x 2. I'm just wondering if any tickets offered would be YUL-LGA-MCO or just LGA-MCO?

This is a great web site.
Thanks a lot

This is my fear. Maybe I'm wrong. :confused3 But what are the conditions and criteria that an airlines uses to bump me instead of the person that booked last?

I am going to have a hard time trying to control myself if I get bumped. Since I booked when there was sufficient seating left I think that the last people to get seats should be bumped. Why should anyone have to give up their seats to some self important moron that booked late? I would gladly give my seat up if I booked late or if they needed the seat for a funeral trip or medical trip. But just because Joe Schmo Idiot comes along and demands a seat because he is a frequent flyer? I don't think so.

When they start to figure out who they need to bump they will ask for volunteers first. If no one volunteers they will start with those that don't have seat assignments first. Then they usually go to who booked last. But it is up to the agent to decide how to handle it.

Yes frequent flyers are not usually the ones bumped. Rightly it should be that way. This may be someones once in a lifetime trip but the frequent flyers are flying all the time. Especially if you are in the very top of their frequent flyer program they will 99.9% of the time get a seat.

Trying to break it up into 2 and 2 to get bumped is going to be hard. It is a round trip ticket so that would cover connections if you are flying on the same airline all the way through to Orlando.

safetymom said:
When they start to figure out who they need to bump they will ask for volunteers first. If no one volunteers they will start with those that don't have seat assignments first. Then they usually go to who booked last. But it is up to the agent to decide how to handle it.
Good. :) This is just a real worry for me. It doesn't help that I watched "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" on TV last night. :teeth:

Depending on which airline you travel but some offer a free round trip ticket OR a voucher usually for around 300.00 as compensation for giving up your seat. I learned my lesson to take the voucher NOT the free ticket. The airlines only allow so many seats for the free tickets and I couldnt use one once. I always take the money instead as I can use it anytime and on any fare I want to. Just a thought.

We also took a bump once and the next flight wasnt until the next day so they put us up in a hotel and gave us food vouchers for dinner and breakfast. But be ready to split as they may not need 4people and only 2 or 1. They should ask you first if you are first on the list if you will seperate but if not, they they will go to the next person.

Good luck! Have fun! :earboy2:

It's very rare for them to give a voucher for cash. You can ask but usually it is a free round trip ticket. If they are really desperate they may go for giving cash or something better to get someone to volunteer.

I would suggest visiting www.flyertalk.com under miles and points for your airline. They could give you better advice for your situation.

Lets hope 4 "Joe Schmo Idiots" comes along so we can save a bit of $. It's the last Delta flight out of LGA to MCO.

Anyways, we still look forward for our family vacation.

Daniel

Different airlines have different criteria to determine the order of involunatary bumping. Check your airlines website, look at the contract of carriage. SW bases in on the number on your boarding pass, as long as you get to the gate 10-15 minutes before your flight. Some airlines base it on the fare class.

G00fyDad said:
So far, getting to MCO doesnt look to be a problem. Yet.

Louisville, KY to Orlando, FL

But... getting from MCO back to SDF looks like a little problem may come up.

Orlando, FL to Louisville, KY

I wouldn't worry.
Check your airlines contract of carriage. Generally people with assigned seats, who get to the gate on time, are the last to be involuntarily bumped. The on line seating charts aren't worth much. Some airlines block out seats for gate assignment. The question isn't if every seat is sold but if the flight is overbooked.

Also if the flight is looking full at this time and you aren't flying for awhile they may change the equipment to something larger.

I would just keep an eye on your flights.

Depends on the airline. I normally fly Delta. They don't give roundtrip they give cash vouchers. They aren't as generous as they used to be however. Also, pay attention.. if you volunteer at $200 and they raise the offer go back and ask for the new offer. If they say no tell them you want your seat back. (If they are raising the offer they are probably desperate!)

SW gives you a refund for the price you paid and a free ticket (or something like that)

safetymom said:
Also if the flight is looking full at this time and you aren't flying for awhile they may change the equipment to something larger.

I would just keep an eye on your flights.
I check them daily. :rotfl2: Kinda neurotic huh? :) I wish they would change the plane to anything larger than the PGW we are going to be on. :goodvibes

Get there MORE then 15 mintues in advance if you are really worried. 30 minutes would be better. However, being the non panic type (there is always another flight I try to get there just as they start boarding (20 to 25 minutes)

CarolA said:
Get there MORE then 15 mintues in advance if you are really worried. 30 minutes would be better. However, being the non panic type (there is always another flight I try to get there just as they start boarding (20 to 25 minutes)
Honestly, we plan on leaving the house at 5:00am and getting to SDF at 5:15am. We are using curbside checkin so by the time we get through security and to the gate it should only be 5:45am. That will have us at the gate an hour before the flight at 6:45am. (you can laugh now :))

I think I feel an ulcer kicking in
puke.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter