Airline change fees... seriously?

Lvsdisney

DIS Veteran
I was debating to add an extra day to our trip and wanted to see what American would charge to change the flight. $200 PER ticket! It's literally cheaper to buy a one way for everyone ($90 each). I don't get it.
Oh well. It's not a big deal, just was a little shocked at the cost and I felt this board would appreciate my shock! Still debating about adding the extra day...

If you were to buy that one way ticket and use it, your ticket home would be cancelled since you didn't use the flight on that ticket to get there. Don't try it.

If you were to buy that one way ticket and use it, your ticket home would be cancelled since you didn't use the flight on that ticket to get there. Don't try it.
The ticket I want would be gking home. I want to add a day to our trip on the end!

Why would you care if they cancel your original ticket home?

Why would you care if they cancel your original ticket home?
If you purchase a round trip ticket and don't use the first leg, then the cancel the return. That could leave you stranded without a ticket home. Obviously, there's no risk if you're skipping the return flight, but that wasn't clear initially.

The ticket I want would be gking home. I want to add a day to our trip on the end!

That might work then. Thanks for clarifying.....I was thinking you were adding to the beginning of your trip; it wasn't clear in your OP.

If you purchase a round trip ticket and don't use the first leg, then the cancel the return. That could leave you stranded without a ticket home. Obviously, there's no risk if you're skipping the return flight, but that wasn't clear initially.
They would use the original ticket to get to disney then use the one way a day later to get home.

I did that when I had to hurry home from Africa. My return wasn't for two more months but my dad's heart was failing so I just bought a one way out of there and ate the expense of the first one. It's already paid for so you're not going to miss the money on THAT one.

I love southwest bit the flight times offered for my trip didn't work for me. :( I usually fly with them.

Same for us, we loved our experiences with Southwest but their scheduled flights to Orlando have become more and more limited - less nonstop flights to Orlando and at a higher price tag.

Last edited:
I'm another one who owns Southwest stock and flies Southwest instead of anyone else all other things being equal for that very reason. // We'll be sacrificing some Delta and United tickets to NYC too -- looks like we need to change our days. Tickets were freebie or under $100 and change fee of $200 means goodbye tickets. I went ahead and booked alternative flights for the new days that I think we'll need to do. And because I booked those on Southwest, if the original days work out, I can with no penalty apply the Southwest funds to a summer trip when we are flying to Colorado next August (They have a good schedule with direct flights to Denver from our home town). Southwest is such a breath of fresh air. They are our best bet for flying to Orlando too. Even with them, though, last minute changes don't work well. If you are 14 days or more out though you are usually in luck.

I am with you OP. Those high change fees are so irritating.

I'll only fly delta and they have the same fee's. I've never even considered changing plans for a trip but not on account of the fairs.
I guess it's a good incentive for you to follow your previous scheduled plans lol

This is also why we almost always fly SW. Also the fact that you can get credits if your $ goes down. What other airline does that!

This is also why we almost always fly SW. Also the fact that you can get credits if your $ goes down. What other airline does that!
We have the SW visa and earn a free one way seat to MCO almost every month-1.5 months. If the price drops when you're booked with points, the "refund" goes back into your points bank. It's awesome!

Try changing an international ticket! It runs about $400. I'm not shocked; they've been charging this for years.

what airline? The Airline i fly only charges $100 for cancelled ticket. First Flight must be set in date, return flight can be changed.
Non-US Airline though.

FWIW, JetBlue will NOT cancel the second leg of your trip if you don't show for the first leg. (I k ow you're not flying JetBlue but we recently had this issue aNd I did the same - bought a new one way ticket instead)

I usually fly United. Until theses boards, I had no idea that other airlines didn't charge these fees. I have to change an international flight - $300.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter