• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airfare update

I am reading that a lot of you found good fares on Air Tran and wonder is that before baggage fees? I also know they charge for seat selection, which is the norm. However, my cousin recently (January) flew from Buffalo to Orlando on Air Trans and didn't pay for seat selection. Her whole family of 4 was seated separately, including the 2 and half year old. Since most others had paid for their seat selection, the airline staff couldn't switch anyone's seats. NO ONE was willing to voluntarily move their seats and my cousin giving up her seat or switching didn't work as they needed 2 seats side by side. Her 2 year old sat with 2 strangers all the way there. They obviously paid and selected seats on the way home.
To be honest, I fly with my daughter an average of 4 return flights per year, so 8 flights. I rarely do advance seat selection and haven't been seated separately from my daughter, except once. At that time, my daughter was also 2 (she's almost 4 now) and Westjet was very apologetic and moved people so we could be together. Air Canada always seats us together. Mind you, I do go in and check in online 24 hours in advance and can see our seats.
Isn't there online check-in with Air Trans? I know of people being wary to fly Southwest but can't you just check in online the day before as well and then not worry too much about your seats?
The best airline seems to be Jet Blue? It is pricier too right?

I am reading that a lot of you found good fares on Air Tran and wonder is that before baggage fees? I also know they charge for seat selection, which is the norm. However, my cousin recently (January) flew from Buffalo to Orlando on Air Trans and didn't pay for seat selection. Her whole family of 4 was seated separately, including the 2 and half year old. Since most others had paid for their seat selection, the airline staff couldn't switch anyone's seats. NO ONE was willing to voluntarily move their seats and my cousin giving up her seat or switching didn't work as they needed 2 seats side by side. Her 2 year old sat with 2 strangers all the way there. They obviously paid and selected seats on the way home.
To be honest, I fly with my daughter an average of 4 return flights per year, so 8 flights. I rarely do advance seat selection and haven't been seated separately from my daughter, except once. At that time, my daughter was also 2 (she's almost 4 now) and Westjet was very apologetic and moved people so we could be together. Air Canada always seats us together. Mind you, I do go in and check in online 24 hours in advance and can see our seats.
Isn't there online check-in with Air Trans? I know of people being wary to fly Southwest but can't you just check in online the day before as well and then not worry too much about your seats?

In my case I paid for seats for the 3 of the 4 of us, but instead they gave us 2 and 2 seats. When I asked why they said because other families were separated. My guess is those customers did NOT pay. Either way they credited me back, but that was my experience. Too bad about your sister.

When we booked our August flight through AT at $199 per person rt we also paid $6 each for our seats. So that is $48 total. We also bring two pieces of luggage total for the four of us. That is another $100. The total with all extra fees for the four of us equals $944.

It would have cost us $1000 to book through SW for the same flights in August. However, we would be able to bring more luggage for free. But there would be no guarantee of sitting with your children. This is the deal breaker for us.

You just have to crunch the numbers and see what would work best for your family.

We paid $700 USD for AirTran (3 people) including advance seat selection, only extra will be baggage fees. Still a better deal over Toronto IMHO.

We almost always fly out of Syracuse. We always get a park and fly hotel the night before or the night after our return - doesn't matter when our flight leaves. Last time (January of this year), it was $119.00 for the park and fly and our truck stayed safe and sound at the hotel and we took their free airport shuttle to and from. I get Best Western gift cards ($100) from airmiles so that helps with the cost.
We love flying from Syracuse because it's less than 2 hours from where we live. You cross the border and there's no other customs holdups at any airport with a domestic flight. You don't have to get there hours before your flight because Syracuse is a small airport and again - domestic flight.

Wanted to share that we booked flights from SYR to MCO today for $90 per person in November. This is our 5th Disney vacation in as many years and it will be our first Syracuse experience. I hear nothing but good things! We will be driving down and flying out on the same day so I think our only option for parking is at the airport for $8/day. Anyone know If the parking lot is secured?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter