Airfare question

Rainandlattes

Earning My Ears
First off I'm not quite sure if this question belongs on this board, but I'll give it a shot...... So, I was wanting to book a cruise for my employees and their family as a Christmas gift this year. I would get them rooms with a balcony. Sooooooo if I purchase them the cruise am I also expected to pay for their airfare , excursions, and misc spending (bingo etc...) any feedback would be great. : )

You CAN purchase airfare through DCL, however in my experience that much more expensive than making my own travel reservations.

As for "gifting" a cruise ... I'd say that's entirely your call as to whether you include airfare and spending money (for excursions or bingo or anything). I'd suggest you price out some options to see what fits your "gift" budget. Would the gift of the cruise be "worthless" to any employees who might not otherwise be able to purchase airfare on their own? If so, you might want to budget for airfare, possibly doing oceanview or interior staterooms rather than verandah. As to spending money -- other than tips, it is entirely possible to cruise and have nothing else to pay for as all other expenses are entirely optional. I'd actually think excursion, bingo, spa, adult dining and such would be a more personal choice -- so you could provide a set amoun toward onboard account if you are so inclined but let each employee plan their own options how to spend it.

What a wonderful employer -- can I come work for you?!

I agree, sounds like you are an awesome boss! :thumbsup2

However, it could be considered kind of uncool to give someone a gift that puts them on the hook to spend money in order to use it. As someone else suggested, I think it would be better to provide an inside stateroom + airfare + enough onboard credit to cover tips. Then, any upgrades or excursions are totally optional for them. One exception would be if you talk to them ahead of time and find out they could get themselves to the port with airline miles/points.

Awesome boss!!

I actually did something similar for our Fantasy sailing. We paid for the cruise for my BFF and her husband and daughter. (We are each Godparents to the other's daughter). When offered, I did put them in charge of their own airfare,knowing flying from NJ is generally pretty inexpensive. (The worst case scenario was they would have driven down, a trip they've made a few times)

I would say if your employees know well in advance, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to put the airfare on them. However, if it's going to be a "surprise-you're going in 3 months!",it might be hard for them to book the airfare. As a family who doesn't have credit cards,I know we had to save specifically for the trip. Depending on where you are all flying in from, maybe consider airfare + a "regular" ocean view stateroom instead of a balcony? Maybe a $500 airfare gift card to help?

Lastly, I would say excursions and on boards would not be expected,however, perhaps you can book with an agent that will give them a nice on board credit, so in essence, you would help with that part too...

I agree with comments other PPs have mentioned , that you may need to think about including airfare, but not necessarily excursions or other obboard expenses. When I read your question, the first thing that popped into my head was, Will all of your employees be traveling at the same time? Do you know that this timing will work for their families? Perhaps an alternative that would alow them flexibility in travel dates and $$ planning if they need to buy their own airfare would be to give them a disney gift card with enough $$ for the cruise. :confused3

Well, you could pay for the cruise, but then tell them they have to provide their own airfare and incidentals. I would say airfare might make or break it for them, so you should think about including that if you are serious about giving your employees cruises, but you could make them responsible for their own incidentals (shore excursions, pictures, alcohol, bingo, etc). Still very generous and they have a choice about whether they wish to spend more on incidentals or not.

What about cruise tips that can easily amount to several hundred dollars?

You might want to considered recommended tips as part of cruise fare, and include prepaid tips.

-Paul

Sweet Boss!!!

I personally believe that you should not ask someone to decide if they can afford to spend several hundred dollars in order to enjoy their gift or bonus.

I suggest scaling back the veranda room to a less expensive inside or ocean view and using the $$ to include airfare/tips. Using a TA to get OBC is a great way to cover incidentals or a special treat for your guests without spending any extra $$ too

First off I'm not quite sure if this question belongs on this board, but I'll give it a shot...... So, I was wanting to book a cruise for my employees and their family as a Christmas gift this year. I would get them rooms with a balcony. Sooooooo if I purchase them the cruise am I also expected to pay for their airfare , excursions, and misc spending (bingo etc...) any feedback would be great. : )

I think the Cruise is very generous, especially since you are buying it for the entire family. You do not have to pay for excursions as there is plenty to do on the ship. Excursions are optional. What is not optional is getting to port to enjoy the cruise. Do you think the families would be able to afford the airfare to enjoy your generous gift? If the answer is definitely "no" I would include the airfare. But the airfare is your call.

I would not include anything other than the cost of the cruise. There are many ways to get to the port, fly, drive, train, etc. If my boss did that for me I, with the cost of the cruise, I wouldn't expect anything else. You are saving them thousands just covering the cost of the cruise. When I did my cruise in August of 2013 I only spent an additional $500 on travel to and from, excursions and a few things for memory, and if it is planned far enough out everyone should be able to do those things for themselves. Just my two cents!

:cool1:

Wow, I wish I had a boss as generous as you.

I think a gift of a cruise would have to include airfare. Otherwise if you have an employee who can't afford it they're just kind of out of luck and they have a cruise they can't take. That's not much of a bonus for them. Excursions and bingo money should be on their dime though. They can have a great time without that stuff.

Now let's get down to brass tacks and discuss you hiring me in return for my great advice. :thumbsup2

Thank you all for responding and opening my eyes to the airfare issue , that would be awful to receive a cruise only to not be able go because of airfare costs.

I think tips would also need to be included. Depending on the number of nights and number of travelers you are talking several hundred dollars. Again, you can't give them a cruise and expect them to pay several hundred dollars for tips that are for The most part considered standard in the industry. Depending on their situation, that may also be a hardship.

What a wonderful employer -- can I come work for you?!

Me too! And I would say you should probably make sure that you give it to them outside of the cancellation period or take out insurance just in case they can't go or something happens. But, I agree, it's up to you what you want to pay for and how realistic it is everyone can afford the other costs if you buy the cruise. If that makes sense.

How about chartering a bus(es) I guess it would depend how far away you are, but could be a nice per-cruise get to known you experience

You could get a nice on-board credit to cover tips and incidentals if you went through the right TA. I would budget for transportation.

Putting my business hat on. Not knowing what line of business you are in, can you afford to "close shop" and send all of your employees on a vacation at the same time? Also, how will you choose a date without consulting them? What if they have conflicting plans? Quite a risk having all of your employees on the same vacation at the same time (what if a casualty happened?)

Taking my business hat off, you are an AWESOME boss and I would be floored to receive such a generous gift!

I agree with everyone else---what a wonderful boss you must be.

Just curious--how many families would be going? I have such a hard time coordinating for just my family with adult DD and DS and families.:rotfl2:

Don't forget, if you pick up the airfare, everyone will need transfers to and from the airport to port and back following the cruise. I would not ever fly in the day of the cruise, so there might be expenses for hotel rooms, etc if you fly in the day prior.

Hope everything works for your group and you have a wonderful cruise.

I would not include anything other than the cost of the cruise. There are many ways to get to the port, fly, drive, train, etc. If my boss did that for me I, with the cost of the cruise, I wouldn't expect anything else. You are saving them thousands just covering the cost of the cruise. When I did my cruise in August of 2013 I only spent an additional $500 on travel to and from, excursions and a few things for memory, and if it is planned far enough out everyone should be able to do those things for themselves. Just my two cents!

:cool1:

It really depends on how far away from the port you are. For some people driving to the report could mean 24 hours of driving time. I know for us, it's 18 hours of straight drive time, and I'm only in the midwest.

I think you are giving an employee a vacation instead of a cash bonus, you should think about paying the cruise fare, airfare, and the tips. This way the employee doesn't have to pay out of his or her own pocket to go on the trip. Excursions, drinks, and specialty restaurants they can pay for themselves if they choose to do extras.

It would be really awkward to give the cruise gift only to have the employee say that they couldn't go. Airfare and tips are expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter