Airfare for WB TransAtlantic 2011

cynjam

Vacation Planner
For those of you that will be cruising westbound on the transatlantic in Sept. 2011, did you book airfare thru DCL or on your own?
Or are you waiting in hopes prices go down?
If you've already booked on your own, what airline, arrival time, price, etc...

I'd really like to be on this cruise, but the airfare is more than the cruise if I book w/ DCL. I'm a little afraid to book on my own, but if that's the only way we can afford it...

If DCL books your airfare, you'll arrive in Barcelona the day the ship sails. There's no way I would fly all the way to Europe and NOT spend a few days in Barcelona before boarding the ship.

Yes, I know that, thank you. I was just asking 'orlandothebeagle' what dates she had booked with Aer Lingus for the WBTA as she said she had already booked them, but I am unable to. :confused3

Looking at her past posts, my guess is she just returned from the WB Transatlantic cruise.

If DCL books your airfare, you'll arrive in Barcelona the day the ship sails. There's no way I would fly all the way to Europe and NOT spend a few days in Barcelona before boarding the ship.

OK, that makes sense, but we have only flown twice, both to Florida, I'm the one that makes all the travel plans, my DH is not the take charge type*, and to be honest, I'm just scared. :scared1:

What would we do, where would we stay, how would we get there, how would we know if we were lost????

Besides, that would mean our DKs would miss even more school. They have 3 days off during the cruise, but would already be missing 7-8 days.

* I think this is why he likes cruising. There's no deciding where or when to eat, no driving the wrong way trying to find something, no waiting in line. :cloud9:

Is everyone that booked on their own flying in a few days early? What hotels should I check out?
I found a flight from CMH to BCN via JFK for $621pp. I couldn't check retun flights from MCO, yet, but that's not the flight I'm worrying about.

What dates did you book? I can't book anything past Sept 17th 2011 for Orlando to Manchester via Dublin :confused3

That was for last this september, if you are having more than 2 nights book an apartment, pm if you want links, we had an amazing apartment with washing machine etc and it was ovelooking harbour, we seen the magic the night before we left from balcony.

OK, that makes sense, but we have only flown twice, both to Florida, I'm the one that makes all the travel plans, my DH is not the take charge type*, and to be honest, I'm just scared. :scared1:

What would we do, where would we stay, how would we get there, how would we know if we were lost????

Besides, that would mean our DKs would miss even more school. They have 3 days off during the cruise, but would already be missing 7-8 days.

* I think this is why he likes cruising. There's no deciding where or when to eat, no driving the wrong way trying to find something, no waiting in line. :cloud9:

I would read guide books about Europe in general/Barcelona in particular. I especially like anything written by Rick Steves, such as Europe Through the Back Door (great for general travel skills in Europe) and Rick Steves' Spain - which has a chapter about Barcelona.

Thanks for the advice. It's the classic " Fear of the Unknown". I guess that's why I like going to Disney. It's sad when my DKs can get around MK better than their own hometown!
Actually, after checking out some Barcelona hotels mentioned in another post, I don't think I could afford staying even 1 night!! $430 per room/night!!! Of course, with 2 kids, for 2 nights, that's $1720!!! Have I missed something? I can't imagine spending more than $100/night for a room for all 4 of us.

Thanks for the advice. It's the classic " Fear of the Unknown". I guess that's why I like going to Disney. It's sad when my DKs can get around MK better than their own hometown!
Actually, after checking out some Barcelona hotels mentioned in another post, I don't think I could afford staying even 1 night!! $430 per room/night!!! Of course, with 2 kids, for 2 nights, that's $1720!!! Have I missed something? I can't imagine spending more than $100/night for a room for all 4 of us.

My 2 bedroom apartment, which was amazing was 600 euros for 3 nights, think you will be looking at a bit more than 100 dollars a nght.

Anyone looking for a hotel I can highly recommend Praktik Rambla ( check it out on Trip Advisor ). We got this for 90 euros per night last September and the hotel was taken over by Disney Magic pre-cruisers. Brilliant location and a lovely hotel.

We booked our flights to Barcelona on air miles. Need to book those out very early or you will be out of luck. We are doing a 7 day med before getting on the Magic so that means we will be in Barcelona 8 days prior to the Magic sailing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter