Airbnb Reviews

I look at price, pictures, various reviews, location on map, back to reviews, back to amenities, back to reviews... but, I look at various reviews to see if there were issues, if the issues were repeated or just once, and if there were issues how they were resolved.

No, I look at mostly 4 and 5 star reviews.

I've read reviews that have given the host a 3 or 4 star for the stay because of the weather! (It rained! It was too cold! Really??)
Another gave a 4 star because they didn't like the restaurant that was recommended! (What? Just, what!)

The reviews are supposed to be of the accommodations and the host....yet many other factors seem to come into play in these reviews. And most have nothing to do with the afore mentioned.

As mentioned above, it's usually worth while to read the reviews to see what the issue was. Some people are just flat-out unreasonable. One of my deal breakers though is record of the host canceling the reservation. That happened to me the first time I tried to use this site, and it was a hassle to deal with. I also read reviews to see if there are people trying to phrase something that might be inconvenient in a polite way- something I did once when a driveway was difficult to get in and out of. Under the right circumstances I would probably give a first-time host a chance too- as long as they were verified by social media.

I do look at 4 & 5 but I do also look at 1& 2 reviews. I like to see the tenor on ones that bring a rating down. You can usually tell from the post if they were legit concerns or just difficult renters. I have seen some beauties blaming owners for the weather or a local restaurant didn't have their favorite foods.

As mentioned above, it's usually worth while to read the reviews to see what the issue was. Some people are just flat-out unreasonable. One of my deal breakers though is record of the host canceling the reservation. That happened to me the first time I tried to use this site, and it was a hassle to deal with. I also read reviews to see if there are people trying to phrase something that might be inconvenient in a polite way- something I did once when a driveway was difficult to get in and out of. Under the right circumstances I would probably give a first-time host a chance too- as long as they were verified by social media.

For me, cleanliness is the most important aspect of picking the place. So if it was a first time host, I'm not sure how I'd get around that concern.

For me, cleanliness is the most important aspect of picking the place. So if it was a first time host, I'm not sure how I'd get around that concern.
It's a gamble for sure. I think the one advantage is some nicer places will start out priced lower in order to get customers/good reviews.

It's a gamble for sure. I think the one advantage is some nicer places will start out priced lower in order to get customers/good reviews.

This past July we needed accommodations in Montreal for 6 people for 5 nights. We needed space and in Montreal space in the middle of July was Expensive!!!! We took a chance on new listing with no reviews. Four bedrooms, prime downtown location, two bathrooms, secure building with 24 hour doorman, top floor of the building with fantastic views and 3 balconies. The apartment was huge! It was less then $250 a night which was basically a steal. I would give it 3/5 for cleanliness. Not immaculate but it was "good enough". That was the only thing I didn't give the owner five stars for. I think it was worth the risk for us.

We stick with places that have many reviews and mostly 4 and 5 stars. If there is a random low rating, but lots of high marks, I chalk it up to a cranky customer. More than one or two, though, and I pass.

Cleanliness, reliability of the owner, number of beds / bedrooms, and lication are our other criteria.

We rent a ton from HomeAway/VRBO. I prefer places with lots of 4 and 5 star reviews, and I also prefer to rent properties that are managed by management companies rather than individuals.

I'll look at any place that fits budget and location, but I definitely read the reviews (and house info) very closely. I also read the reviews that the host leaves for past guests.

We rent a ton from HomeAway/VRBO. I prefer places with lots of 4 and 5 star reviews, and I also prefer to rent properties that are managed by management companies rather than individuals.

I actually prefer the exact opposite. I like to deal with individual owners. We've made repeat visits due to such wonderful/attentive owners.
I equate it to a boutique experience versus a Walmart experience.
The agent of the management company may never have stepped foot in the unit/home that you're renting. How can they answer any specific questions you may have about the place? What type of filters does the coffee maker use, or when the mattress was last replaced?

I actually prefer the exact opposite. I like to deal with individual owners. We've made repeat visits due to such wonderful/attentive owners.
I equate it to a boutique experience versus a Walmart experience.
The agent of the management company may never have stepped foot in the unit/home that you're renting. How can they answer any specific questions you may have about the place? What type of filters does the coffee maker use, or when the mattress was last replaced?

I can see where you're coming from, but I have also had experiences where individual owners are difficult to deal with. Plus, if you have a major issue with the place where you're staying, an individual owner usually won't have the option to move you somewhere else. For example, we rented a home through VRBO on Maui for our vacation this August; 3 weeks before the trip I got a message from the owner saying that the house had flooded because of a water leak, the floors were ruined, and we would no longer be able to stay there. Of course he refunded our payment fully, but he had no other houses on the island to rent to us, and by the time I found out there was nothing left in our price range. We had to switch islands, cancel a flight, find a new house, and reserve at the last minute.

In another instance we rented a home in Hilton Head, this time through a property management company. When we got there, we found that the HOA had hired contractors to replace all the balconies in the cul de sac we were staying on, and all the balconies had been torn off of the house the day before we arrived and would be reconstructed during our stay. I called the management company and we were immediately moved to another one of their properties at no expense to us.

I can see where you're coming from, but I have also had experiences where individual owners are difficult to deal with. Plus, if you have a major issue with the place where you're staying, an individual owner usually won't have the option to move you somewhere else. For example, we rented a home through VRBO on Maui for our vacation this August; 3 weeks before the trip I got a message from the owner saying that the house had flooded because of a water leak, the floors were ruined, and we would no longer be able to stay there. Of course he refunded our payment fully, but he had no other houses on the island to rent to us, and by the time I found out there was nothing left in our price range. We had to switch islands, cancel a flight, find a new house, and reserve at the last minute.

In another instance we rented a home in Hilton Head, this time through a property management company. When we got there, we found that the HOA had hired contractors to replace all the balconies in the cul de sac we were staying on, and all the balconies had been torn off of the house the day before we arrived and would be reconstructed during our stay. I called the management company and we were immediately moved to another one of their properties at no expense to us.

Good point! Sorry that happened to you!
(We've been fortunate in our experiences, fingers crossed...)

Has anyone stayed at an airbnb or homeaway near Disney? This is something we are looking to do for this trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter