• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Air Trans Seat Fees

rlrodri

Earning My Ears
I booked 6 tickets for AirTrans in December but didnt pay the extra charge to pick seats. I have 3 children and 3 adults traveling. Does anyone know what ATA does in this type of case?

Basically your group will get whatever is left at check-in (24 hours in advance of the flight). Air Tran will not require other passengers who have paid for their seat assignment to move in order to accommodate your group. You may end up with 6 seats scattered all over the plane or even 6 middle seats. Of course you may luck out and manage to get six seats close together as well.

Unless your children are old enough to sit by themselves I highly recommend that you pay the seat reservation fee for them and at least one adult so someone can be near them.

And, as a sidebar, AirTran flights to Orlaando are usually full.

David

I was able to log in just a few days ago and pick my seat and pay for them. I didn't do it when we bought the tickets.

i asked this exact question at the checkin counter and the lady told me that they actually hold a # of seats for this exact reason. They wont put a kid who isnt old enough to sit alone by themself.

even with that said..i think the small fee is worth the peace of mind to assure your family will be together..after all..it is a family vacation :)

My 2 cents worth: If everyone refused to pay the fee then the problem would be solved...

However this is moot since the SW news release they indicate the seat fee (along with pre selection) would likely disappear once the dust settles.

i asked this exact question at the checkin counter and the lady told me that they actually hold a # of seats for this exact reason. They wont put a kid who isnt old enough to sit alone by themself.

even with that said..i think the small fee is worth the peace of mind to assure your family will be together..after all..it is a family vacation :)

I've read many different accounts where this hasn't happened. Children have been seperated from their parents, flight attendants will not make people who have paid for their seats move to accomodate those who did not pay for advance seating.

Emily

I've read many different accounts where this hasn't happened. Children have been seperated from their parents, flight attendants will not make people who have paid for their seats move to accomodate those who did not pay for advance seating.

Emily

I worked as a ticket and gate agent for the airlines and can tell you from personal experience that you do take a major risk of not getting to sit together. #1: There's NEVER a guarentee... However, by purchasing your seat, you are saving your seat numbers from preassignment or assignment once online check-in begins. With online check-in nowadays it is a huge risk and I highly doubt you will get seated together. They could even possibly deny you boarding until there is a flight where you can sit with your young children. They can really do any of this and get away with it. I've seen it. And I've experienced it.

#2Over-crowded flights are a nightmare. Yes, some seats are selected at check-in and you don't see that on any customer screen when purchasing or any other time. These seats are assigned "that day only" some only available to ticket agents. Many of these are exit rows and you can't sit there anyway with small children.

#3: Although the attendants may try to move you around on the plane-- coordination of this is a nightmare and will definately hold things up. Especially if they are full.

I personally know that paying more for the "seat" is ugh... not fun! I have 5 kids myself and had to recently pay the hefty fee for 6 people.

My 2 cents worth: If everyone refused to pay the fee then the problem would be solved...

However this is moot since the SW news release they indicate the seat fee (along with pre selection) would likely disappear once the dust settles.
However, since the plans were just announced and could take a year or eighteen months to complete, and since the OP was able to purchase tickets already, whatever Southwest does won't affect her specific AirTran (not ATA) flight :)

I'm booking my flight right now and it's only $6 each to pick a seat. $30 to know that we are all sitting in a row is absolutely worth it. I would never risk it with kids.

I booked 6 tickets for AirTrans in December but didnt pay the extra charge to pick seats. I have 3 children and 3 adults traveling. Does anyone know what ATA does in this type of case?

Please, if it is important that you all sit together PAY FOR THE SEATS! If you don't care if your family is split up save the $36 each way. As others said you will get what is left and those will probably not be 6 seats or even 3 seats near each other.

Flights are overbooked these days and there are rarely any empty seats like there used to be. Do you honestly think someone who paid for their family to sit together would move for your party to sit together. NO! My kids are 15 and 13 and I still pay for us to sit together. Flight attendants will ask but they can't force people to move for you. The "oh have fun babysitting my child" will not get much sympathy. I know we would certainly not move for anyone...we sit 3 and the aisle across. On our next trip in the spring I have booked the 4 aisle seats since my boys are so tall I figure they will want the extra leg room. Will we move ...no! I didn't pay for the seats BUT I selected them 6 months out.

Please consider how important it is....and pay for the seats. The airline will try to help but they are under no obligation and there is no rule saying kids HAVE to be seated with an adult.

You have it backwards. You told AT you don't care where you sit on the plane. You basically said you don't care if the 6 of you are in middle seats scattered throughout the plane.

Flights to Orlando are filled with famlies who want to sit together. Filled with leisure passengers who want to pay the lowest possible price.

Passengers who wait until checking in to get assigned seats are competeting with other famlies who want to sit together but don't want to pay for assigned seats. Some will get lucky and some won't.

Seats held for gate assignment may wind up going to famlies who have kids younger then your kids (3 or 4 years old) or may wind up going to famlies who get to the gate before you get to the gate.

AT lets you make a choice. Pay for assigned seats or accept "leftover" seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter