Air prices in August

Debs1963

Mouseketeer
We are booked for 8/19-8/26. We live in CT and I have been searching around for air. I am finding this very depressing. Do people think that I can get better deals as the time gets closer or will they go up? I actually got an yahoo alert for flights out of providence RI for $135rt but there was little selection with crazy dates. The good thing about living in CT is that I can go to LGA, JFK,NWK, PVD. Albany is also a possibility. Does anyone think I will be able ti get air for less than $200pp? If I can't get a good price on air I will need to consider cancelling trip.

Debs1963 said:
We are booked for 8/19-8/26. We live in CT and I have been searching around for air. I am finding this very depressing. Do people think that I can get better deals as the time gets closer or will they go up? I actually got an yahoo alert for flights out of providence RI for $135rt but there was little selection with crazy dates. The good thing about living in CT is that I can go to LGA, JFK,NWK, PVD. Albany is also a possibility. Does anyone think I will be able ti get air for less than $200pp? If I can't get a good price on air I will need to consider cancelling trip.

Try jet blue out of NY. Also- AirTran flies out of White Plains diect to Orlando. We have tickets for the end of Sept for 185 pp direc from WP. Southwest might be a good bet too, if the ever release the dates :sad2:

Spirit is sometimes cheap out of lga.

Do people think that I can get better deals as the time gets closer or will they go up?

Normally prices go up the closer it is to flight time.

I recently travelled roundtrip from Boston to Amsterdam via Northwest. My ticket was around $500 2 months before the flight. The day before I left, the price had increased to $2,700 for the same flight, same class.

Debs1963 said:

Going for almost the same dates 8/19 - 8/27 from MA. We are waiting for Southwest to open up for these dates, it should be this week. Even if some airlines have sales, it will be hard to get Saturday fares, it's easier to get sale fares for Tuesdays and Wednesdays. ;)

Plus with the prices of gas/ fuel these days, it is a bit higher than it normally would be. I say keep searching. I Am sure they will normalize out soon hopefully!!! Belle

we are august 9th theu the 19th
DH doesnt wanna pay 800 bucks to fly i keep telling him jetblues not gonna go down adn we really dont like southwests
cattle call seating, no tvs also i dont think that sw is gonna be that much cheaper

Did you check out Jetblue? Looks like they are $89 each way from JFK. We are getting that rate going to JFK this summer. Was right under $200 pp round trip.

Just keep checking. My friends just booked for $277 in November today. Just last week the same flights were showing over $400 per person. (this was the 1st time in months that it was this low.)

Also, with the tentative agreement with the Delta pilots there may be some good rates out there very shortly. However, oil just reach $70 per barrel so I don't know if the rates will come down that much due to the high fuel cost.

good luck!!

We also live in CT and are going at almost the same time - 8/21-8/27. We booked our flight on Allegiant flying out of Stewart in Newburgh, NY. We were able to get flights at $79.00 each way. It's a non-stop flight, but I believe they only have 1 flight per day. For an extra $10.00 per ticket you can choose which seat you want. It's a no-frills airline, but for a 2 hr flight I think we'll be OK (no snacks or beverages, so I'll just pack our own). I've heard a lot of good things about the airline but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! The airport is about 30-40min away from us in the Western part of the state. The only thing is they fly into Sanford and not MCO, making us unable to use the Magical Express portion of our package. We had planned on renting a car anyways so as not to be totally dependent on Disney transportation.

Have a great trip! pixiedust:

BibbidiBobbidiBOO said:
Did you check out Jetblue? Looks like they are $89 each way from JFK. We are getting that rate going to JFK this summer. Was right under $200 pp round trip.
not if you want to fly near on or a weekend!!! I have Jet Blue, which does have service out of three airports I am close to and I havent had the opportunity to take them as of yet. Either their fares were higher than other airlines for the same dates or the time frame offered by JetBlue wasnt as good as the other airlines for a minimally higher cost ( not more than $20-25 bucks) I am looking foward to Jet Blue becoming more competitive with other airlines that are more in line with my schedule!!!! Belle

I'm flying out of Albany 8/16-23, and the best price I can get is over $250 pp with taxes. Ouch! I'm holding out for SW, but hubby doesn't like the non-assigned seating. If I can get SW much cheaper, I don't care if the 4 of us sit together-as long as it's 2 and 2.

We are also looking to fly down in August. I keep hoping that JetBlue will come down in price. DH wants to fly on them but I just can't justify paying $328 pp.

Can't help you on ticket prices out of CT. However, I noticed the ticket prices dropped for the month of Aug.If you do want the peace of mind and buy the ticket now, book an airline that you can get credit from if the price does drop.

I booked our flight last week with JetBlue. LGA to MCO for $197 each...not too bad. That was the best price I could find for my dates (Aug 10th to the 18th). From NYC, the days of flying for $150 rt might be over.

We are flying those exact dates from Rochester NY. I thought about waiting for Southwest to release their fares but it was just too long to wait. We went with Airtran for $198 RT since it was a nonstop flight. USAIR, AA & Delta were all cheaper but had awkward connections and really bad times. Keep checking. I think you will get under $200. Does Airtran fly to any airports nearby?

We're flying US Airways Aug 21- Sept 1st and were able to get fares for $179.00 Syracuse to Orlando with a very good schedule. We have a connection in Phillie but the timing works great-leaving Sryacuse at 7 am and will be into Orlando by noon! I watched the fares for about 3 or 4 weeks and jumped in when I saw this one. I booked about 2 months ago. Good luck with your flights!

The CT market is really all over the place on price these days. I used to fly from BDL a lot as it was cheaper than Boston and still had the non-stops to MCO from Delta and SWA for cheap competition. Right now, the best nonstop prices ($223 on AirTran) are from Westchester (HPN) to MCO for your dates. Try http://www.sidestep.com to search on alternatives. I bet SWA will be under $200 when they finally release post August 3rd. Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter