• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Air Con in the parks - any updates?

wrighter

DIS Veteran
After our Memorial Day WDW trip, I posted about how uncomfortable Spaceship Earth was. It was so warm in there I felt faint. There seemed to be a general concensus that WDW was lowering the air conditioning (and thus raising the temps) on some of the rides and in some of the stores in order to save a buck. Or to "be green." Whatever. :-)

I was wondering if any recent visitors had any experiences to share about the temperatures on the rides and in stores. We are taking our first summer trip next month, and will be so disappointed if they continue to up those temps.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Just there for 4th of July. The entire 10 days were 95, sunny, little breeze. Did not ride Spaceship Earth, but all rides/shops were air conditioned. Also, amazed that all had doors wide open to the heat. If the area surrounding the entry was hot it was b/c of open doors, not lack of AC.

I was there in May (Memorial Day week) and last week (till wednesday) and I noticed no difference in the a/c levels. Spaceship Earth has always been warm to me, espically as you get closer to the top, its just kinda stuffy. I didn't notice any other places that were warm, the nice ice cold a/c seemed to be blowing as usual in all the shops and attractions.

People's perceptions of hot, cold, warm, etc. are so different that I don't think there's a useful answer that can be gleaned from reading a few dozen other's reports. My DMiL would be cold in the middle of the Mojave in August, for instance.

I expect that when I go inside a building in the summer it will be cooler, or if I go outside a building in winter it will be colder. If that's not the case, then something's probably wrong. Otherwise, I just don't think you can figure this out by asking strangers on a message board. Just my opinion--good luck anyway. :goodvibes

We were at WDW 7/3-7/12 I noticed the shops and attractions having nice cold AC as they usually have had in the past. Spaceship Earth did feel a bit warmer than other attractions but that was the only one, and it was not uncomfortable just not cold.

When we went on a trip in 2010 during the same time of year it appeared that Disney had reduced the AC to coolish temperatures but not cold. I remember because it didn't seem to matter what shop or attraction you entered. Here on the Dis there were posts about it so I was not the only one to notice.

Enjoy your trip :)

Having taken KTTK twice, I learned that they keep the doors open to the shops because it's welcoming and inviting to customers.

I went over Memorial Day weekend, and then again the weekend following Independence Day. I felt the a/c situation improved on the most recent trip for the most part. Over Memorial Day weekend, everywhere was warmish and stuffy all day long to me. Particularly SE. This most recent trip the a/c was going strong in the stores and attractions in the morning, but I felt in the afternoon places were more stuffy. That of course could have to do with more people coming in and out, and it being so hot and humid that is just becomes difficult for a/c to deal with it. SE I felt was improved at the beginning at the ride, but by the further we went along it got stuffier. Not as bad as over Memorial Day weekend, but still it was noticeably more stuffy than previous trips.

I rode Spaceship Earth. I think it was July 6. It wasn't hot but it wasn't freezing cold in there either.

We were there last week fo June and all the shops that we went into were quite cold. Spaceship Earth seemed to be cool but not overly cold when we rode it. :wizard:

I'm thinking there must have been a problem with the A/c when you were on Spaceship Earth. We rode it a few times last week in 90+ mid-afternoon heat and it was quite cool.

We've been at the parks every other week all summer, and haven't noticed any AC issues, at all. In fact most restaurants are still kept at about 30 degrees F. :laughing:

I keep seeing the title of this thread and thinking of this guy:

cageCameronPoe.jpg

When we were there in mid-June I was prepared to complain based on what I read here pre-trip.

I was mostly happy with the temperature levels in the rides, shops, and restaurants.

Spaceship Earth was a little warmer than I remembered from last year, but not enough to warrant a complaint. Tusker House wasn't quite comfortable when we had lunch there too, but again, not terrible enough for me to complain, but I don't think we'll eat there again.

I'm definitely someone who has my vacation carbon footprint at the absolute bottom of my care list, so if it had been really uncomfortable, I would have said something, both at the parks and after the trip.

I don't think there was a noticeable problem with the temperatures.

To the OP, I completely agree on Spaceship Earth. We go in January and found it so stuffy! I've noticed it on other rides as well. Also, the last two years we've ridden Nemo in January, it was so warm & stuffy....and we rode all these at night.

The only two other rides I noticed it on was Soarin & Star Tours, but I chalk that up to getting a little bit motion sick on those rides.

This was our first trip were there was a min and max room temp at the resort. If I recall correctly 68-74 was the range. I remember thinking 68 is not very cold on such oppressive days. We go as a family in Aug. DH will not be happy if the next stay has such restrictions.

I don't think Disney would do anything with its air conditioning that would be noticeable- their number one concern is safety, and turning down the air conditioning on really hot days on purpose would definitely see a spike in heat-related accidents- I don't think they want that at all. So it must have been either an accident or just a different perception.

Since there have been so many record breaking high tempatures across the country, one thing to consider is the outside conditions. There is only so much that A/C can do, and if outside temps are very high, inside temps are going to be higher than usual

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter