Ahhh help me! Split stay worth it?

MissKristinaLianne

... I wish I was in WDW> RIGHT NOWWW!
So I'm on a special rate at Disney and just noticed today that the POLY is available towards the end of our stay (last 2 nts). Some other DXL resorts are available but I've either already stayed there or not interested ...i.e CR (been there, done that), WL (reminds me too much of any resort that we have here in Canada) or BC (been there don't care for the pool)

Let me shed some background...
- it's just DF and I (no kids... yet:lovestruc)
- I've been to WDW several times: anything from value/mod/deluxe/dvc
- Most important fact: DF's first time... ever! :wizard:
- We have a pretty jammed packed schedule for the 7 days that we're there
- We have been quite spoiled on previous vacations... even though I know what to expect DF does not. I keep reading Trip Advisor reviews from people who compare some of the deluxe resorts to other high end properties and claim they are not worth it :confused3 (don't want DF to think the same)
...did I mention I want DF to lovee Disney as much as I do? :rolleyes1

We are staying at POR arriving around 7pm-ish on a Friday evening and doing dinner in DTD that night. We will be hopping the parks SAT/SUN/MON. We will only be using the hotel to nap/sleep... probably not going to swim much either. On Tuesday DF has a special day "surprise" day planned for us (anniversary trip) I know it involves a rental car that we will be picking up Tuesday morning. We will be out for the majority of the day.

So now that the POLY is available Tues/Wed night... I'm contemplating checking out of POR on Tuesday morning before we pick up the rental car (have Disney transfer our stuff to POLY) and we'll come back to POLY later on Tuesday evening (probably pretty late). On our final two days we have nothing planned so we can hang out around there (return flight home leaves at 8pm Thursday night)... what do we think? Worth it or too much work? DF says do it "I know best".

I would love some expert DIS advice! :flower3:

Hi! Congrats on your upcoming trip! Sounds like a blast! As you know, split stays are very subjective.. some people like to unpack and know they will be in one spot the whole time, other's don't mind doing the split stay so they can see experience more. Have you personally stayed at the Poly before? I'd prefer to split my stay in the middle OR do the first 2 nights of my vacation rather than the last 2, but I know that's not an option to you due to availability, I say do it!!! Poly is my absolute favorite resort..love the shopping, restaurants, location, and ambiance. To me, it's a must do even if it is only 2 nights. I think you're going to love it!

We enjoy split stays and don't find them to a hassle at all. However, we are the type who travel frequently, live from a carry on suitcase, never unpack.

As for whether it's worth it, I'm in the camp of those people on Trip Advisor who feel that Disney deluxes are a far cry from a luxury resort. If you are used to staying at places like the Four Seasons, you will be disappointed. Disney deluxes have more to do with location than amenities. We stay deluxe at Disney but I've learned not to have high expectations and we still have a grand time. For luxury, we go somewhere other than WDW.

Hi! Congrats on your upcoming trip! Sounds like a blast! As you know, split stays are very subjective.. some people like to unpack and know they will be in one spot the whole time, other's don't mind doing the split stay so they can see experience more. Have you personally stayed at the Poly before? I'd prefer to split my stay in the middle OR do the first 2 nights of my vacation rather than the last 2, but I know that's not an option to you due to availability, I say do it!!! Poly is my absolute favorite resort..love the shopping, restaurants, location, and ambiance. To me, it's a must do even if it is only 2 nights. I think you're going to love it!

I stayed at the Poly last in 2003... I love the monorail resorts- but Poly is def one of my faves! I don't really mind the packing since it's just the two of us and there won't be much too much to pack up.

I just got off the phone with Air Canada to see the cost of moving my return flight up a day (and tacking on an extra night at Poly). Hmmmm...

We enjoy split stays and don't find them to a hassle at all. However, we are the type who travel frequently, live from a carry on suitcase, never unpack.

As for whether it's worth it, I'm in the camp of those people on Trip Advisor who feel that Disney deluxes are a far cry from a luxury resort. If you are used to staying at places like the Four Seasons, you will be disappointed. Disney deluxes have more to do with location than amenities. We stay deluxe at Disney but I've learned not to have high expectations and we still have a grand time. For luxury, we go somewhere other than WDW.

The packing issue won't be a problem... since it's just the two of us. I imagine packing would be an issue with little ones. We always live out of our suitcases as well... except for when we cruise.

Ah :headache: see thats what scares me! I agree that Disney is not the place for luxury... so now I'm really second guessing even DF's reaction to POR. He liked the pictures and basically is staying out of this planning since he knows I've been there so many times. We were talking about it over a rainy day this past weekend and he mentioned how he can't wait just to lie out on our balcony and order a bottle of wine to the room. Wine delivery? Balcony? ...should be interesting! popcorn::

The packing issue won't be a problem... since it's just the two of us. I imagine packing would be an issue with little ones. We always live out of our suitcases as well... except for when we cruise.

Ah :headache: see thats what scares me! I agree that Disney is not the place for luxury... so now I'm really second guessing even DF's reaction to POR. He liked the pictures and basically is staying out of this planning since he knows I've been there so many times. We were talking about it over a rainy day this past weekend and he mentioned how he can't wait just to lie out on our balcony and order a bottle of wine to the room. Wine delivery? Balcony? ...should be interesting! popcorn::

:rotfl: You might want to prepare him just a little.

I'm sitting in my office laughing out loud picturing the wine delivery.

:rotfl: You might want to prepare him just a little.

I'm sitting in my office laughing out loud picturing the wine delivery.

LOL ohh I warned him... he doesnt understand the "exterior corridor" concept. Nor that extent of room service is pizza (is it still like that? LOL)

I say go ahead and book the Poly for the last 2 nights. It might be fun to stay at a monorail resort and since you have a little more time, you can enjoy the resort more. Have a great time regardless of what you decide! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter