Agonizing over a window

Donathius

Mouseketeer
So we're booked on the Jan 15, 2012 7-day MR cruise on the Wonder. Right now we've got stateroom 7067 which is a standard inside stateroom (11A). We got a killer price for this at just under $2k for me and my DW. My TA has told me that we can upgrade to a 9C with the large porthole for about $400. My question to the masses is this - is it worth it? I'm just agonizing over whether it's worth spending another $400 to be able to look outside.

Help me make up my mind! :confused3

we have done 2 med 7 night cruises and have had a cat 10c on deck 2 both times. Cabin was for sleeping and getting ready not for chilling that s what the pool area or the sunbeds on deck for are for. Love watching the ocean but can spend 400 bucks on plenty of other things.

Have fun and hope you do whats best for you :)

I know $400 is a lot of money, but seven days is a lot of time to not have any natural light. If it were me, I'd pay it. I like to spend some time in my cabin relaxing, and being able to see out is important to me.

On our first cruise years ago, we signed up for an inside stateroom, and were put into one of the "secret porthole" staterooms on the Wonder. I couldn't believe how much we enjoyed having that view. There was no going back for me after that.

For me it was a space issue. With three of us, we had extra room is worth the cost. Four would be even more so. The layout was nicer. Take a look at the rooms from the website and you can see the difference. I like having the living area near the window. Having the natural light is nice too.

I know $400 is a lot of money, but seven days is a lot of time to not have any natural light. If it were me, I'd pay it. I like to spend some time in my cabin relaxing, and being able to see out is important to me.

On our first cruise years ago, we signed up for an inside stateroom, and were put into one of the "secret porthole" staterooms on the Wonder. I couldn't believe how much we enjoyed having that view. There was no going back for me after that.

It's a matter of what you're used to, and how much $$$$ you feel comfortable about spending. My sister and her DH just got back from their first cruise -- their kids gave it to them for their 40th wedding anniversary. It was an inside room and they loved how dark it was for taking long naps. She also has a pic of her DH asleep up on deck. Yes, they're older, and they work hard for their money so it was a good time for them to get away and relax.

Meanwhilst, my DH and I are so spoiled by verandas that even an ocean view seems cramped. We love the fresh air and being able to walk/sit outside in our jammies.

Depending on how booked your cruise gets, you could see if there are any upgrades at the port and perhaps save some money.

That's what we're hoping to do in December. We booked an inside stateroom, but if there's available ocean view rooms, we'll see how much the upgrade could possibly be.

We sailed our first 3 cruises in an inside room and then our last cruise to MR this past march we splurged and got a window on deck 2. We loved it! And felt it was such an upgrade for us (who always go with the cheapest room). Now it will be hard for us to cruise without a window.

I did a 7-day on the Magic (just hubby and me) without a window, and my shorter cruises have been split up evenly between view and no view (cost being the major decider). We had no problems with not having a window... in fact, my hubby likes it more because he says it is easier to sleep (and sleep in if you want to). Like others have said, you will be out of the room for most of the time, so I have never found it to be a major deal. We did a 3-day on the Wonder in an inside stateroom with my hubby's 2 teenage sisters in the room as well... slightly uncomfortable, but we managed. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be with four people on a longer cruise though... so as others have said, it all depends on your situation and how important it is to have a view.

Not only will you get the window, but you will also get the split bath in the cat 9. Of course, you could move up to a cat 10 to get the split bath too. The split bath will make it easier to get ready. For example, you can shower while she is in the other part of the bathroom doing hair and makeup. Not easy doing those things with the mirror fogging up, lol. But there are other mirrors, such as the one by the desk and a full length mirror in the main room too.

We cruised in an 11A on the PC cruise and I will never do that again unless it was a very short cruise. I would at least get a 10 to get the split bath. I've done the porthole on deck 2 and loved it!

I have black out blind's since my Deck A cabin on the Magic and can only sleep properly in total darkness, the sun rising wakes me up.
So for me it would be inside and spend the extra on excursions or activities or just not spend it.

As other's have said to some it's just a place to sleep and change, and for other's a place to relax, read a book, watch tv etc.

So I guess it depend's on whether the $400 porthole would improve your cruise if you plan to spend time in your Stateroom or not?

Ex Techie :)

Keep in mind if you choose the cheapest category room, you may receive a free room upgrade by DCL trying to fill up rooms. This just happened for us, our first time booking an inside room and we got upgraded to a window view room for free! The good news is, either way you choose I bet you will have a great cruise!! enjoy!

We have stayed in insides, o/v's and verandahs.....we do most of our cruises in an o/v. The one time we did have an inside cabin I was not happy. I never use an alarm clock..ever...and wake to natural light....I hated not being able to tell what time it was or what the weather was like (yes I know I could have put the TV to the channel that shows the bow of the ship) but not when your hubby is trying to sleep in and you like to be up early.

We do verandahs when possible but I prefer an O/V to be able to cruise more often. OP you have to decide what is important to you. I do the like the idea of holding off until you get to the port to see if you can get an O/V for less than the $400.00.

MJ

Not only will you get the window, but you will also get the split bath in the cat 9. Of course, you could move up to a cat 10 to get the split bath too. The split bath will make it easier to get ready. For example, you can shower while she is in the other part of the bathroom doing hair and makeup. Not easy doing those things with the mirror fogging up, lol. But there are other mirrors, such as the one by the desk and a full length mirror in the main room too.

We cruised in an 11A on the PC cruise and I will never do that again unless it was a very short cruise. I would at least get a 10 to get the split bath. I've done the porthole on deck 2 and loved it!

I did not know this.

Thanks for this information:)

My first Disney cruise was in a HA balcony cabin with a HUGE balcony. (I cruised with my mom, and she wanted the balcony.) The second cruise we were upgraded to an OV from an inside guarantee. (I don't care for the split bath for only two people.) On my 3rd Disney cruise, we got exactly what we booked - an inside.

I usually book the least expensive cabin, and I would not spend $400 more for a window. For that much money - I'd get my butt to an outside deck when I want a view! :lmao:

I believe it is worth the extra cost, if it does not break the bank. When DW and DS are busy getting ready for the day, dinner, etc. I like being able to watch out the port hole and seeing what's going on outside. I also like the morning light coming in each sunrise.

Our very first cruise was on the Wonder in this very same room, 7067!

We loved it so much that we keep going back for more, even to the point of joining the Disney Vacation Club to keep cruising.

We have three main reasons for liking the inside staterooms:

1) we are extremely frugal
2) we feel that the window would make us lazy, whereas not having one forces us to get up and out each morning
3) we LOVE the nice, dark room at night -- honestly, we're all good sleepers but we sleep like absolute BABIES in those inside staterooms; I honestly believe if we were upgraded to a window room we would turn it down

Hope this helps in your decision process!

Personally I have to have a window and I don't think $400 is all that much because in addition to the window you will also get the larger split bath.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think we've decided to upgrade to a deluxe inside stateroom. It's only another $80. So instead of going whole hog for a porthole window we're going to spend the money on a nice excursion in Cabo.

Five cruises now, 4 with inside (one of them a 15 night repo) and 1 with porthole, and soon to take number 6 and 7 both inside.

Honestly, the one time I had a window I didn't think it was worth the extra money. We actually preferred the inside cabin.

Besides, there a lot you can do with $400, but it's all a matter of personal preferences.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think we've decided to upgrade to a deluxe inside stateroom. It's only another $80. So instead of going whole hog for a porthole window we're going to spend the money on a nice excursion in Cabo.

That's a good compromise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter