Aggh! Need help deciding on property or off?

StephCT

Mouseketeer
First, thanks so much to everyone who has been answering all of my questions!

Ok, here's what I need help with...dh, dd (age 2) and I are going to Disney the first week of May. Dd goes to bed very early and still naps, so we want her in a different room. I originally booked a suite at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes. I thought I was all set until I started reading this board and a couple of books and became convinced we need to stay on property.

There are no suites available in the hotels that I want to stay in on our dates so my only option is to take the risk of requesting a connecting room (I've gotten a lot of info on this here and spoken to two Disney ppl today, we will absolutely not be guaranteed connecting rooms.)

If we get there and end up w/out connecting rooms then basically we'd all have to sleep in one room and I'd be paying for 2.

So here's my dilemna...do I keep my suite at the JW Marriott ($479/night) or risk the connecting room thing at either the Poly ($770/night) or the AKL ($670/night). I'm thinking we'd probably go w/the AKL at that point to save $100/night which then of course means we won't be on the monorail which was really one of my main objectives in staying on property.

I'm not sure I'm being realistic, but I'm imagining that we'll go to Disney in the morning, then back to the hotel for dd's nap, then hang out at the pool. I'm not really sure that we'll do fireworks, etc. this trip since dd's normal bedtime is 6:30 and we probably won't mess w/this too much.

I sort of feel like we might be fine off property, but I'm so afraid I'm going to get there, get sucked in crazy Disney-ness and be so sad we're not on property!

Any advice? Thanks!

I would stay on Disney property - no doubt about it ! I have been to Grande Lakes too. It is a little bit of a drive. I'd be afraid that by the time you get to your car and get out of the parking and drive back to your room, your 2 year olds nap would be over ! Nothing would have been accomplished ! There is no beating the convenience of Disney transportation either ! That being said, I personally am looking into the Villas at Grand Cypress. That might be an even better alternative for you. It is much closer and you could get a one bedroom, with living room, dining room, kitchen and have no problems with space !! They are beautiful ! But still think on site is best bet but Villa at Grand Cypress would probably be cheaper than any places you mentioned at Disney !!

NO question....stay on site. For what you are paying at the Marriott, you could be in a suite at WL or AKL. Ain't nothin' (as my High school English teacher rolls over in her grave) better than staying on site !!!!!

NO question....stay on site. For what you are paying at the Marriott, you could be in a suite at WL or AKL. Ain't nothin' (as my High school English teacher rolls over in her grave) better than staying on site !!!!!

Unfortunately there are no suites available at the Poly, GF, Cont. or AKL for our dates. The WL doesn't appeal to me at all so I didn't ask, but I'm pretty sure she said she didn't have any suites available there either.

Villas of GrandCypress is $245 for one bedroom and $350 for 2 bedroom at Expedia.com. May want to look into it. You get full access to activities at Hyatt Grand Cypress as well.

I won't bather to ask why the WL doesn't appeal to you as everyone has a right to their opinion, however, I will say that WL is my favorite. What about BCV, BWV, SSR or OKW. These are all Disney Vacation Club resorts and have 1 and 2 bedroom units available. Check out the prices from Disney at OKW and SSR first as they will probably have availability. Then you can check out the DVc rent/trade board right here on this website. OKW or SSR would again probably be you best bet for availability. A one bedroom will cost you about $2000 for the week at OKW in May if you rent for $10 per point. Good Luck!

What about Boardwalk Villas ? Or ANY of the DVC properties than you can rent? (OKW etc)

Would you mind sharing your dates? We could do some digging for you that way.

J

What about Boardwalk Villas ? Or ANY of the DVC properties than you can rent? (OKW etc)

Would you mind sharing your dates? We could do some digging for you that way.

J

Sure! Checking in May 2, checking out May 6. I definitely want a deluxe hotel. My dd is 2 so everyone here said my best bet was to be on the monorail, but I did look into AKL also b/c I thought it sounded nice.

I won't bather to ask why the WL doesn't appeal to you as everyone has a right to their opinion, however, I will say that WL is my favorite. What about BCV, BWV, SSR or OKW. These are all Disney Vacation Club resorts and have 1 and 2 bedroom units available. Check out the prices from Disney at OKW and SSR first as they will probably have availability. Then you can check out the DVc rent/trade board right here on this website. OKW or SSR would again probably be you best bet for availability. A one bedroom will cost you about $2000 for the week at OKW in May if you rent for $10 per point. Good Luck!

Oh my gosh! I hope I didn't offend...it just seemed so "woodsy" :) to me, but I guess that's the point! I had read some not great reviews here of the WL Villas.

Just checked on Disneyworld.com (not the cheapest place) and you could get Old Key West one bedroom villa for $473 per night, Boardwalk Villa 1 bedroom for $540 per night, or The Villas at Wilderness lodge for $528.76.

Old Key West is very near Epcot and therefore the Epcot Monorail. . .JMHI but that appeals to me. Its actually cheaper than the room you currently have. . .

Just remembered why she didn't offer me the WL Villas, they only had 2 bedrooms available. Just checked online and it's still cheaper than doing 2 rooms somewhere else...maybe I should look into it.

No offense taken. ;) Just do me one favor - when you go in May stop by and eat at the Whispering Canyon Cafe - the food is good and its a real hoot and then check out the lodge. I think you'll be very surprised - there are many of us who love deluxe resorts and once we've stayed there won't stay anywhere else. I have stayed at CSR, OKW, SSR, and WL so far and absolutely love the lodge. Check out renting points as it can save you some cash. If you're not set on a specific resort SSR is brand new and OKW has Key West kind of feel with pink and blue condo set on a golf course. Good Luck.

Just remembered why she didn't offer me the WL Villas, they only had 2 bedrooms available. Just checked online and it's still cheaper than doing 2 rooms somewhere else...maybe I should look into it.

oops, I've been doing this for too long...it's not less expensive (I was looking at the +$ number, but not adding it to the original number!). Ok, so that eliminates the WL for a suite...they only have studios and 2 beds available.

Just checked on Disneyworld.com (not the cheapest place) and you could get Old Key West one bedroom villa for $473 per night, Boardwalk Villa 1 bedroom for $540 per night, or The Villas at Wilderness lodge for $528.76.

Old Key West is very near Epcot and therefore the Epcot Monorail. . .JMHI but that appeals to me. Its actually cheaper than the room you currently have. . .

Did you find the WL villa on disney.com? I'm on right now and it's only showing a studio and 2 bedrooms, no one bedrooms. The woman I spoke w/today also said there were no one bedrooms.

Thanks so much for your help!

You should look into the Boardwalk Villa. It's a gorgeous area over there. Beach Club villa would be ideal if it is available because of the sandy bottom pool. From that area, you can walk to Epcot for dinner and Illuminations every night if you want. You have the Boardwalk for entertainment. And you can walk or boat to MGM too. You can rent a surrey bike and ride around the lake and on the Boardwalk (it's beautiful to do this at night when the fireworks are going on).

I am in the same situation as you. I am planning our first trip and we have three children - 5, 3, infant. Plus my sister is going with so we have 3 adults. My ultimate scenario is to stay on site near MK since we will be there 2 of our 4 days and we would also be taking nap breaks. I couldn't believe the prices when I checked and have debating what to do but now I think the dates I really wanted are taken. I was looking at the Wilderness Lodge.
I don't know if you will have a rent a car or not but I have looked into some off site places and have found some great rates at nearby places. I liked the Sheraton Vistana and the Cypress Pointe Grand Villas. If staying on site doesn't work for us I have narrowed it down to the Sheraton Vistana. It looks very nice - 7 pools, play areas, dining and a message from a board member says it takes 30 minutes door to entrance of MK which is very doable for going back for naps. I was quoted a rate for a 2 bedroom villa for four nights $149.00 a night. This was the no housekeeping rate.
I know that people say that nothing beats the magical feeling of staying on site but for me if I'm not at a resort near MK and still spending 20-30 minutes traveling time to get to the parks then I can't see spending three times as much for lodging.
I am also looking into renting DVC points for our stay. I'm hoping this will help us get the WLV for the time we want for a much reasonable price. That is also something you could look into if you change your mind to stay at the WL.
I don't know if any of this helped but I thought I'd give you some ideas on what we're doing to plan our trip. I think this is the first time I've posted without having asked a question!
This board had been great and helpful and hopefully everything works out for your trip!
If you have any other questions you can email me at hzachary@warwick.net
Heather

May 02 to May 06

Boardwalk Villas - One Bedroom = 2160$ (room only)
Old Key West Villas - One bedrm = 1890$ (room only)

First, thanks so much to everyone who has been answering all of my questions!
If we get there and end up w/out connecting rooms then basically we'd all have to sleep in one room and I'd be paying for 2.

Any advice? Thanks!

Just an FYI

If we get there and end up w/out connecting rooms you may opt for 1 room until connecting rooms become availible. Disney will not make you pay for the 2ed room if your family can fit into one standard room and they were unable to meet your request of connecting rooms.

Good Luck and have fun at Disney!pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter