• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ages for Sorcerers of the MK

Duckiedee

Every Day is Better at Disney
I will be with a 5-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl. Are those good ages?

I'm not 100% what this is about. I know they are missions of 20-30 mins and you earn cards.

Can someone give me a more specific rundown?

Would it be better to do 2 different missions with teams of one parent/one child? Or to complete as a family?

Thanks!

If your kids get along well, let them play together. You can hold multiple cards up at one time. Go to the fire station in the town center and they will give you a tutorial.

I could give you the name of a Facebook group that can give you much information but I don't think it is allowed. I find all ages love it and you can get a free pack of cards for your entire party everyday you play. It has been addictive for our family of 5. We have 4 almost complete sets.

I've seen some really, really young kids playing - sometimes with mom or dad's help. As long as they aren't super scared of the villains, and can understand simple instructions, they're probably fine. It's a really fun game. Playing a full game takes a lot of time and a lot of running around - I played one full game the night I started playing and it took about five or six hours. Now I usually just do one round each time I visit MK to pick up new cards. (You don't really 'earn' the cards - you can get a free pack each day. You do get an extra pack after defeating Hades at the end of a full game.)

Basic gameplay is pretty simple: You find your portal on the map you get with your cards. At the very beginning, the CMs at the Firehouse tell you where you'll be starting. Once you arrive at the portal, you unlock it by touching your MagicBand, park ticket, or key card to the lock that will be close by. Then your sorcerer stands on the metal circle in the ground and watches the story unfold. Once a villain, or one of his/her henchmen, appears, the sorcerer will hold up a spell card (or multiple spell cards) to cast at the villain. Sometimes Merlin will instruct the sorcerer to use the Sorcerer's Crest, which is the back of a spell card. Once the villain or henchman is defeated, you'll be shown where your next portal is.

If your kids get really into it, they'll want a binder or at least some plastic card holder sheets to organize and protect their cards. Don't buy the huge overpriced one Disney sells, go to a comic book store or someplace similar and buy a nicer, smaller one for less money.

Sometimes, folks like me hang out in Tortuga Tavern to trade cards. I tend to give away all my common/uncommon spares to kids.

It's hard to play different missions at the same time unless you are going to split up or play at different times of the day as you will be sent to different locations. We have had the kids take turns "playing" a card every other portal and that has worked out. We have played a portal or two in between attractions and often in the afternoon or evening.

My kids have their own set of cards that is "theirs". We also bought smallish (maybe 5x7) photo albums to keep the cards in instead of the Disney ones and sometimes carry those in the parks. Other times in the parks, the kids just have on them a handful or stack of the new cards for the day in their fanny pack. I think you can still get a pack of new cards each day in the park.

Have fun!

My 2 year old loves it - we can typically do 1 villain per visit. I started out having to trigger all of the windows myself because she doesn't have a park ticket, but now I just let her wear my magic band so she can do it herself. She doesn't hold the cards very well, so I stand behind her and hold a pair of cards too. As far as she knows, she's casting the spells.

I agree with the previous posters. It is a fun game and I do suggest that you play it as a family. On our last trip my three grandchildren each played their own game. We had to split up, and go to different areas of the park. It was not bad, it was just much more time consuming. Each child will get their own set of cards each day. It doesn't matter it you want to team up or play individual games.

My 6yo had a blast playing, and DH and I played as well so we could all get new cards each day. When the lines were too long midday and we had time to kill, or the toddler was napping, we ran around playing portals. It was a lot of fun!

My kids 15 and 12 played last Christmas and enjoyed it. Me and DH are going to play on adult only trip this October.

Does everyone in the group have to play a separate game to get a new set of cards each day? Or can you play as a family and each person still get a new pack?

Does everyone in the group have to play a separate game to get a new set of cards each day? Or can you play as a family and each person still get a new pack?

You can play together, they will link you all in the game and then you can get new packs each day. Or, once you complete so many you can go back the same day for a new pack too. I know we did that one day too.

We just had to be present and were given a pack each day per person in our party. 4 people and most of the time we had one game going but got 4 card packs each day we stopped at MK.

It is so much easier to play as a family, and yes each person on the "team" gets a pack of cards each day

Even if only the kids are playing, everyone should sign up and you can all get more cards for the kids every day (and to start with). you don't actually have to play with them.

also if you happen to be at MK during a party (at the party) don't forget to pick up the extra card everyone gets that's exclusive to the party. You don't need to play, it's just a giveaway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter