age up into tween club on dream

fcrouch

Mouseketeer
Any thoughts or experience on the likelihood of a 10 year old - two months shy of 11 being allowed into the "Edge" (the 11-13 tween club) - she's very tall for her age so certainly "looks" to be the apporiate age - I don't think she'll want to spend a lot of time there - but thought she might want to check it out (could we as her parents accompany her - would that help?). I am guessing it is just something to discuss with the youth counselors once on board.

I think it depends on the ship and how crowded they are, but I have read quite a few reports of kids that age being able to go to the Edge. I'm in the same situation, my DD will be 3 months shy of being 11 when we go on our cruise in 2 weeks. She's young for her grade. We will just see what she feels like once on board and talk to the youth counselors.

On our last cruise (a couple weeks ago) we bumped my 13 yr old (3 months short of 14) son up to the Vibe. We kept my 11 yr old daughter down in the lab (she likes the activities). As long as the request is not extreme, DCL is very accomodating.

Jess

It's really up to the CMs, and has a lot to do with the "mix" of kids on the cruise that week. The standard rule is that within 30 days of the move-up birthday, a child is allowed to move up.

They tend to be more strict in the teen area than elsewhere, and the teens don't like younger kids in there! Tweens seems a little more flexible. However, think carefully--do you want your 10 year old in the 13 year old group? I can see both sides of it. On the one hand, you are discussing kids who are 2 or 3 months "too young." On the other hand, that is too young for the minimum age; there are other kids who are significantly older than the minimum.

This is really a junior high or middle school aged group. If your child is still in elementary school, the Lab might be a better fit.

Keep in mind that if your daughter does age up, she will no longer be able to go to the oceaneer club/lab. Our daughter was 2 months shy of 11 on our cruise in Feb. She went up to check out the tween club, and they would have let her in, but she didn't want to give up all of the scheduled activities in the oceaneers club/lab. She had a ball, and on our next cruise when she's 12 the tween club will be a better fit. Alot will also depend on the ages on board, it seemed that most of the kids in the tween club on our cruise were closer to 13 than 11, but that will be different for each cruise. Your daughter will have a ball whatever you choose.

I also view the Edge as a middle school group. My dd is 10, we sail in May. She will be right at 10.5. I am keeping her in the Club/Lab and I hope there are other 10 yr olds in there for her to play with. She is finishing up 4th grade and I don't feel she belongs with middle schoolers despite the fact that she would enjoy the atmosphere/activities. I also have a 6th and 7th grader (boys) that will be in the Edge- there really is a big difference. My 13 yr old is the size of an adult and even though he is good with young kids, I just wouldn't think the average 4th/5th grader should hang out with kids this old......

I do know it varies per child; but just thought I'd share my perspective...

Also keep in mind that there will be kids such as my son, whose currently 13 and going in highschool in the fall. He will be in the tween club and I'm quite sure there's a huge difference in him, and in 10 year olds.

Also keep in mind that there will be kids such as my son, whose currently 13 and going in highschool in the fall. He will be in the tween club and I'm quite sure there's a huge difference in him, and in 10 year olds.

Yep, same here. Are you ready for high school?

Keep in mind that if your daughter does age up, she will no longer be able to go to the oceaneer club/lab. Our daughter was 2 months shy of 11 on our cruise in Feb. She went up to check out the tween club, and they would have let her in, but she didn't want to give up all of the scheduled activities in the oceaneers club/lab. She had a ball, and on our next cruise when she's 12 the tween club will be a better fit. Alot will also depend on the ages on board, it seemed that most of the kids in the tween club on our cruise were closer to 13 than 11, but that will be different for each cruise. Your daughter will have a ball whatever you choose.

That isn't the case. Anyone can go into any of the clubs as a "visitor". On our last cruise, my 10 year old was bumped into Edge, and her sister was in the Oceaneer Lab. Any time the girls wanted to do something together, they would just give my older DD a visitor badge for the time she was there.

Also, they told us that if you child was within 3 months of the age, you could request the bump up to the next club level. If they weren't full, the request was accomodated. She LOVED Edge and probably would have been bored in the Oceaneer Lab. Both of my kids are very impressed with the photos of the new kids' clubs on the Dream and can't wait to visit them!

That isn't the case. Anyone can go into any of the clubs as a "visitor". On our last cruise, my 10 year old was bumped into Edge, and her sister was in the Oceaneer Lab. Any time the girls wanted to do something together, they would just give my older DD a visitor badge for the time she was there.

Also, they told us that if you child was within 3 months of the age, you could request the bump up to the next club level. If they weren't full, the request was accomodated. She LOVED Edge and probably would have been bored in the Oceaneer Lab. Both of my kids are very impressed with the photos of the new kids' clubs on the Dream and can't wait to visit them!

Yep. When my 11 yr old DD said she wanted to stay down in the Lab, the councelors suggested that she stay registered in the Edge. They said if she stayed in the Edge she could come and go into the Lab/Club anytime she wanted...as a visitor. On the other hand, if we registered her in the Lab, she would lose the ability to go into the Edge. Even though that made perfect sense, we still went ahead and registered DD for the Lab...she was sure that was where she wanted to be. She knew some of the councelors from a previous cruise. She had a 10 yr old friend onboard. She loves the Lab activities and she wanted to be able to spend some time with her younger twin sisters.

My 12 yr old DD was registered in the Edge and my 13 yr old son was in the Vibe. Both of them popped into the club/Lab as visitors a few times, to play with their 3 yr old sisters.

Jess

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter