1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Age old question Virgin Australia OR Qantas A380

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aussiefamof5, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Aussiefamof5

Aussiefamof5 Mouseketeer

Minniemum thankyou for your insight thats great!!! Qantas definitely lack on the frequent flyer membership for families!!!
    I have now got velocity membership for kiddies, and set up the family pooling........ BTW all for free :) Qantas sting you $89 for each one.
    So looks like we will be building up those velocity points... as much to my partners cringing looks and shudders im planning our next trip to WDW before we leave for this one lol ;)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. battymum

battymum DIS Veteran

You can sign your kids up to qantas ff for free through woolworths everyday rewards,,you can transfer their points to one account. I don't think status credits are pooled though,

4. MsMinne

MsMinne Mouseketeer

Does this mean each kid gets their own everyday rewards card? I thought you may have to be a minimum age to do this.

5. battymum

battymum DIS Veteran

Yes they do, I don't think there was min age, my kids were 13. I don't think they have ever used their cards, but it's sorta cool to have a card with your name on it,

6. MsMinne

MsMinne Mouseketeer

Thanks for confirming. I will get both of my boys one.

You are right my six yr old thinks his velocity card is pretty cool because it is his!

7. BecBennett

BecBennett Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Between virgin and qantas it completely comes down to price and flight times. :thumbsup2

8. ame

ame Addicted to travel

We are Virgin FF members. Between our travel and DHs work travel (which he can receive status credits for) we have 3 gold members. This means for our family of 6 we can get into lounges!! We tweak the pooling as to who needs the status credits. We have been flying Virgin (& partners) for 4 years now and have had very few problems.

Flying onwards in the US is easy with Delta in the same terminal that you arrive in at LAX, or a 5 minute walk across to the Virgin America terminal.

I have flown on an A380 before (Emirates) and while it was quieter with more toilets, not noticeably so to sway me from the airline that looks after me :)

9. mareeld86

mareeld86 DIS Veteran

I have the exact same issue its ridiculously expensive for the trip from Tassie to Melbourne.

I have flow both and i like them both equally.

I am not very much help sorry.

The last time we flew united and loved it other than the fact they dont have in back of seat entertainment.

But we dont have children so its not so much of an issue for us.

Hope you have a great Holiday.

Lauren

10. Aussiefamof5

Aussiefamof5 Mouseketeer

It definitely appears to pay off in terms of frequent flyer mileage, being able to pool all your credits, im keen to build that up with our family of 5 so virgin wins that hands down!!!
    I dont have an everyday rewards card, so to sign my family up to qantas frequent flyers id need to pay $89.50 per person:mad:

11. Aussiefamof5

Aussiefamof5 Mouseketeer

Thanks Lauren, yes ive seen United are way cheaper, but unfortunately no in back seat entertainment :scared1::scared1: im afraid it would send my family bonkers lol not a good start to our trip

At the end of the day price is gonna be the deciding factor for sure :thumbsup2

12. Marlea98

Marlea98 DIS Veteran

Price and timings are the big thing for us. We flew Virgin last time and loved it. Next time we are flying Qantas. I've got nothing to compare V to yet.

13. Ms. Shuttergirl

Ms. Shuttergirl DIS Veteran

May I ask why your husband won't even consider Delta as an option?

My family has flown to the US with them twice and found them great.

Just wondering if he has had a bad experience with them or heard something?

14. Aussiefamof5

Aussiefamof5 Mouseketeer

Let's just say he is very set in his ways, and once he has made his mind up about something he usually doesn't change it lol I think he has heard bad things about delta, from a while ago..... It appears their reputation has improved tenfold over the years, however it's not worth me trying to change his mind, much easier to keep him happy :hug:

15. gogo65

gogo65 Cheering for Disney

I've known 4 people that have flown delta, two have absolutely loved them and two have been the complete opposite and say they will never fly them again. I think it depends on the crew!

We just flew over with virgin last week and were again quite happy, we did fly premium economy so it was obviously different, one thing that I found lacking with virgin (even in prem econ) was the lack of snacks on the flight. We got a main meal after taking off then breakfast prior to landing, they did have a bar with some chips but that was it. I much prefer the snack on Q bags that qantas give out with a bag full of a variety of goodies.qantas also come round with icecreams etc which is great(granted you have to be careful they don't freeze your tongue off they're so cold:lmao:).

16. Ms. Shuttergirl

Fair enough.

17. Ms. Shuttergirl

I always pack a snack/lolly bag for each member of the family with cookies, chocolates, lollipops, shapes, etc so that if they need a nibble throughout the flight they can get something if need be.