Age old question Virgin Australia OR Qantas A380

Aussiefamof5 - Others have already spoken about the difference in service and seating dimensions, I think a slight edge to Virgin but they're really much of a muchness. The big difference for us is their respective Frequent Flyer programs, particularly with a family in tow. Velocity (Virgin) has a function called family pooling. We have nominated DH to receive each family members points (earned for flights) and status credits (determines your FF membership level).

To give you a bit of an idea how this works, a MEL-LAX (one way) is 40 status credits each. From Tassie I imagine it would be at least 50 points or 250 for your family of 5. 250 points would get you a Silver membership. The most useful Silver entitlements are:
1 extra bag for the primary account holder (it's an excuse to shop more!),
50% points bonus for the primary account holder,
Priority check-in for the primary account holder and family (if on same booking),
Lounge access for 2 adults and children of account holder.

All this (and more) for tel
We were Qantas snobs until last year and now we can't ever imagine going back.

P.S. They are also consistently cheaper than Qantas which is a huge bonus with a family.

Minniemum thankyou for your insight thats great!!! Qantas definitely lack on the frequent flyer membership for families!!!
I have now got velocity membership for kiddies, and set up the family pooling........ BTW all for free :) Qantas sting you $89 for each one.
So looks like we will be building up those velocity points... as much to my partners cringing looks and shudders im planning our next trip to WDW before we leave for this one lol ;)

You can sign your kids up to qantas ff for free through woolworths everyday rewards,,you can transfer their points to one account. I don't think status credits are pooled though,

battymum said:
You can sign your kids up to qantas ff for free through woolworths everyday rewards,,you can transfer their points to one account. I don't think status credits are pooled though,

Does this mean each kid gets their own everyday rewards card? I thought you may have to be a minimum age to do this.

Yes they do, I don't think there was min age, my kids were 13. I don't think they have ever used their cards, but it's sorta cool to have a card with your name on it,

battymum said:
Yes they do, I don't think there was min age, my kids were 13. I don't think they have ever used their cards, but it's sorta cool to have a card with your name on it,

Thanks for confirming. I will get both of my boys one.

You are right my six yr old thinks his velocity card is pretty cool because it is his!

Between virgin and qantas it completely comes down to price and flight times. :thumbsup2

We are Virgin FF members. Between our travel and DHs work travel (which he can receive status credits for) we have 3 gold members. This means for our family of 6 we can get into lounges!! We tweak the pooling as to who needs the status credits. We have been flying Virgin (& partners) for 4 years now and have had very few problems.

Flying onwards in the US is easy with Delta in the same terminal that you arrive in at LAX, or a 5 minute walk across to the Virgin America terminal.

I have flown on an A380 before (Emirates) and while it was quieter with more toilets, not noticeably so to sway me from the airline that looks after me :)

Hi Guys

I know most of you have heard this all before, but Im torn between flying with Virgin Australia and Qantas. We will be flying economy as a family of five... 3 adults and two kidlets..... and cant decide between the both. Not to mention that we are departing from Tassie, so we have to factor in a phenomenal price just to leave the state.... we could fly to bali just for that sector alone LOL:sad2:

Im looking for pros and cons for anyone who has flown with either recently.

Your help would be greatly appreciated:thumbsup2

I have the exact same issue its ridiculously expensive for the trip from Tassie to Melbourne.

I have flow both and i like them both equally.

I am not very much help sorry.

The last time we flew united and loved it other than the fact they dont have in back of seat entertainment.

But we dont have children so its not so much of an issue for us.

Hope you have a great Holiday.

Lauren

We are Virgin FF members. Between our travel and DHs work travel (which he can receive status credits for) we have 3 gold members. This means for our family of 6 we can get into lounges!! We tweak the pooling as to who needs the status credits. We have been flying Virgin (& partners) for 4 years now and have had very few problems.

Flying onwards in the US is easy with Delta in the same terminal that you arrive in at LAX, or a 5 minute walk across to the Virgin America terminal.

I have flown on an A380 before (Emirates) and while it was quieter with more toilets, not noticeably so to sway me from the airline that looks after me :)

It definitely appears to pay off in terms of frequent flyer mileage, being able to pool all your credits, im keen to build that up with our family of 5 so virgin wins that hands down!!!
I dont have an everyday rewards card, so to sign my family up to qantas frequent flyers id need to pay $89.50 per person:mad:

I have the exact same issue its ridiculously expensive for the trip from Tassie to Melbourne.

I have flow both and i like them both equally.

I am not very much help sorry.

The last time we flew united and loved it other than the fact they dont have in back of seat entertainment.

But we dont have children so its not so much of an issue for us.

Hope you have a great Holiday.

Lauren

Thanks Lauren, yes ive seen United are way cheaper, but unfortunately no in back seat entertainment :scared1::scared1: im afraid it would send my family bonkers lol not a good start to our trip

At the end of the day price is gonna be the deciding factor for sure :thumbsup2

Price and timings are the big thing for us. We flew Virgin last time and loved it. Next time we are flying Qantas. I've got nothing to compare V to yet.

May I ask why your husband won't even consider Delta as an option?

My family has flown to the US with them twice and found them great.

Just wondering if he has had a bad experience with them or heard something?

May I ask why your husband won't even consider Delta as an option?

My family has flown to the US with them twice and found them great.

Just wondering if he has had a bad experience with them or heard something?

Let's just say he is very set in his ways, and once he has made his mind up about something he usually doesn't change it lol I think he has heard bad things about delta, from a while ago..... It appears their reputation has improved tenfold over the years, however it's not worth me trying to change his mind, much easier to keep him happy :hug:

I've known 4 people that have flown delta, two have absolutely loved them and two have been the complete opposite and say they will never fly them again. I think it depends on the crew!

We just flew over with virgin last week and were again quite happy, we did fly premium economy so it was obviously different, one thing that I found lacking with virgin (even in prem econ) was the lack of snacks on the flight. We got a main meal after taking off then breakfast prior to landing, they did have a bar with some chips but that was it. I much prefer the snack on Q bags that qantas give out with a bag full of a variety of goodies.qantas also come round with icecreams etc which is great(granted you have to be careful they don't freeze your tongue off they're so cold:lmao:).

Let's just say he is very set in his ways, and once he has made his mind up about something he usually doesn't change it lol I think he has heard bad things about delta, from a while ago..... It appears their reputation has improved tenfold over the years, however it's not worth me trying to change his mind, much easier to keep him happy :hug:

Fair enough.

I've known 4 people that have flown delta, two have absolutely loved them and two have been the complete opposite and say they will never fly them again. I think it depends on the crew!

We just flew over with virgin last week and were again quite happy, we did fly premium economy so it was obviously different, one thing that I found lacking with virgin (even in prem econ) was the lack of snacks on the flight. We got a main meal after taking off then breakfast prior to landing, they did have a bar with some chips but that was it. I much prefer the snack on Q bags that qantas give out with a bag full of a variety of goodies.qantas also come round with icecreams etc which is great(granted you have to be careful they don't freeze your tongue off they're so cold:lmao:).

I always pack a snack/lolly bag for each member of the family with cookies, chocolates, lollipops, shapes, etc so that if they need a nibble throughout the flight they can get something if need be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter