Age for Tower of Terror?

I think the ride mechanism would be find for my 7 yo, as he'll ride anything. I'm concerned about whether they are actively trying to scare before you are on the ride mechanism. Last year at 6 we did haunted mansion, and another rider was adding the screaming effects which terrified him. Also didn't care for the black during the stitch attraction.

Is the ride mechanism jarring, or are the drops and change in direction fairly smooth?

I don't think anyone responded to this yet, so I'll try. The drops are very smooth in my opinion. Definitely you go from standing still, to shooting downward, but its not exactly a jerk as far as I'm concerned.

As far as scaring you before hand, yes, they do things to make it freaky - loud noises, scary sequences with ghosts and darkness. Honestly, my daughter finds that stuff to be more scary than the drop sequence. She's always excited to get to the drops!

I rode it for the first time when I was 8, the year it opened at DCA. I was super excited to ride it... and then I was traumatized by the pre-show. I still remember it; I was terrified. The actual dropping didn't scare me, but it was the supernatural aspect that I didn't like.
Then again, I was a bit of a chicken. Now it's one of my favourite rides!

My 7 year old nephew loved it, but my 10 year old niece was scared - she hates anything spooky/halloween themed. So I guess it really depends on the person...

How young were your kids when they enjoyed or didn't enjoy TOT? My daughter didn't ride it last time, well none of us did but she loves the roller coasters. BTM, EE and Mine train. She did not like Dinosaur but she was 5 about to turn 6 in a month. This next trip she will be well over 7 years old and my son if he's tall enough to ride the 40'' rides will be 4. Would they freak out? Is it mean for me to have them ride it? I've watched videos and it doesnt seem to bad. But I honestly can't really tell. Do they drop you all the way down at any point or is it gradual the whole time? Thanks!

They were 4. They all rode again. One child no longer rides it. He isn't freaked out. Just doesn't like the fall sensation. He opts to skip Splash mountain as well after trying it for the same reason.

Drops are quite random and that is part of the thrill. Yes there will likely be a drop "all the way down". Once in the tower, you have no idea if you will go up first or down first.

Videos would not do it justice. It lacks the falling feeling and associated fear with that. I think the way videos are done (by virtue of their technology) make it seem tamer than it is.

I don't regret taking any of my kids. My one kid who loves it the most--looked terrified her first time. But she was there on her own accord, not forced. And she was just unsure. But when it was done, she wanted to go again. And looked the same when she did. Lol. And then wanted to go again. And again.

No telling if your child will freak out. there is a chicken exit. The basement makes it seem like it's gonna get real and feels intimidating when waiting for the elevators. So there is an out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter