Afternoon nap for young children?

Past trips for DD
WDW... 2 1/2 and 4 1/2
US/IOA 3 1/2, 4 1/2, 6 1/2, 7 1/2.

Only once have we gone back to the hotel to nap and that was at US when she was 3 1/2. she actually said she wanted to go home and go to bed. She ended up not actuallly falling asleep, but needed some down time.
At WDW at 2 1/2 she slept when needed right in the stroller.

We had a similar experience to others here. The downtime was essential. My dd (3) did nap in the stroller one day, but when she woke up, she was still very crabby, so we had to head back for some swimming/relaxing time. I'm sure all kids are different. Like someone else said, be prepared for the possibility that the overstimulation of Disney may require a break for little ones.

Have fun!

We took 2.5 year old DD this last December and she would just nap in the stroller with no problem. But we also didn't do early mornings. We would let her sleep until she woke up and was ready to hit the parks which was usually by 8:00 am. We would just make sure we were ready to go when she woke up.

You have to take your cues from your kids. If they're getting overwhelmed and cranky, then its time for a break from the parks. If they're like my DD and can sleep in the stroller then just be flexible to that. When they doze off is a perfect time to shop.

I think that it depends on your children. If they are used to naps and will only sleep in a bed then you will probably need the break.

My DS needed naps until about age 5 but he could and did sleep anywhere, so we always had a reclining stroller and would find a cool place when he decided to crash, if we weren't ready for a break. My DD, on the other hand, was never much of a napper but until about age 3 you couldn't stand her if she wasn't in bed by 8:00. So with her we could go all day but needed to plan on being at the hotel for her regular bedtime.

We also are going March 3-8 with DD's 2 and 4. Naps are necessary for our kids - and I don't mean napping for a short while in a stroller. Our plan is to be at the gates of the theme parks when they open, stay until about 1p, then nap, swim, and eat dinner. While we don't cover every inch of the parks, everyone is happier if we stick to this toned down schedule. As they get older, we'll be able to experience more things in the parks.

Take the nap, take the nap, take the nap

Partyof12 said:
Just wondering if the folks with small children (1 and 3 years old) always take them back to the hotel for a nap in the afternoon. The guidebook says its a must - but the MK closes early when we will be there (March 4-7) and I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Joining the choir...never mess with the nap schedule! DD2 hasn't napped in the stroller in a year. I think, for her, going back to the room allows her to decompress from all the stimulation. One of us stays with her in the room and the other goes off and does bigger things with DD12.

First trip w/ ds age 2.5 we came back to the room and all napped each day easily and would then go back for a fun evening. Trip was in April and parks were open til 9pm. It was great.

Next trip dd was 1 and ds was 4. 1st day back for nap failed miserably. Ended up dh took her for a walk in the stroller around the hotel grounds to put her to sleep. ds rested, but couldn't nap.

Next day came back, seemed to waste more time. Dd finally down for about 30mins...and dh and ds went to swim.

Day 3, said skip the nap, let's see how we do. dd napped in her stroller, ds got to go on some extra rides, then he napped for a bit in a stroller and the day went great. This trip was in October. Parks closed earlier and got dark earlier. The day we did mnnshp we did go back to rest (no nap) and thencame out to MK around 5pm. The next day we took off as a full rest day and that worked great.

My kids are early risers at home but at Disney it's all diff't. We've never made it to an early Morning opening. Instead, we head to one of the other parks and open it at 9am and go later at night. Once home, they start waking at 6am again. :rotfl:

All our kids are grown up, but we still go back to the hotel and take a nap!

It is so much better my DS's are 14, 16, 21, 25.

But they were all 2 years younger last time we all went together but we still went back and took a nap. It gives you so much energy to finish the night off and you don't get tired again 'till you're back in your room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter