Afternoon High Tea at GF

Our Ratings of Afternoon Tea at GF: (*rev 02/09/14*)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: D
. . . seating comfort: A
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... British Cheese Plate
. . . entree:.. Prince Edward's Tea
. . . dessert:. Lemon Pound Cake

NOTE1: The "Tea" is in a gracious atmosphere overlooking the pool and gardens of the
Grand Floridian. A relaxing way to put a civilized break into your hectic park day. A
negative for the true tea aficionado, is they serve only Pekoe (OP)grade for non-green
tea. Reservations are almost a must. Casual "park attire" is fine, or you can "dress up".
You order packages. Anyone can order any package; exception being no alcohol for the
underage drinkers. Plan upon 1½-2 hours if you do it right and enjoy a relaxing respite.
It may sound "stuffy" or "uppity", but not really. It's just people in a quite and sedate
atmosphere. Hours: 2:00pm-5:00pm, except December when hours are 1:00pm-5:00pm.
Now, you guys don't get discouraged or feel out of place (well, at least not TOO much).
There are other gents that get-roped-into-going (I mean join their spouses). Actually,
it is a pleasant experience for us dudes. After all, look at all the Englishmen that do it.
OK so not the best example, but you WILL enjoy it.

NOTE2: This is not up to the par of either High Tea or the Afternoon Tea at The Savoy,
or the Drake in Chicago, so our Brit friends might be slightly disappointed, but it is a
good way to spend an afternoon. (As an FYI, High Tea and Afternoon Tea are different.
"High Tea" is a later-afternoon event with more food, including meats.)

NOTE3: No longer can you order ala carte. You MUST order a package. With package,
you may add ala carte items. It seems lots of folks came and did not spend a lot of
money. They would just do ala carte. In fact, some simply ordered tea and nothing to
eat, or just a few pastries. Disney is in the biz of big revenue, hence the change.
Dollars-per-chair-per-hour. The Afternoon Tea is not on the Disney Dining Plan. No
sharing of plates to reduce the price per-person

CAVEAT/WARNING/NOTICE: 6/30/2014-thru-8/29/2014.
During the rehab of the Garden View, the Afternoon Tea is held at Citricos.

My DH and I went last October and loved it. We went on a Saturday, non-park day. I have only been to proper Tea Time once in my life, many years ago, so I can't speak for authenticity. It was authentic enough for us to enjoy ourselves.

We ordered the Buckingham Tea: First Course: Assorted Tea Sandwiches. Second Course: Buttery Scone and Jam Tart. Finale: choice of Two delicate House-made Pastries, Strawberries and Crème, or English Trifle. Accompanied by your choice of Tea and the Prince Edward Tea: First Course: Assorted Pâté and Cheeses served with Cumberland Sauce. Second Course: Butter Scone and Jam Tart. Accompanied by a glass of Fonseca Bin 27 Character Port and your choice of Tea.

The only picture that I have is of the English Trifle. In general, though, we liked the food. The port was great! The food is definitely over-priced, but that's true for everything at Disney. You don't go for Tea at the Grand Floridian looking for value. You go for the experience, and I can honestly say that DH and I had a great time. So much so that we both want to go back for tea next year. (So yes, dudes like it too.) Hope that helps!

We love it and do it every trip. I like the tea (mango oolong, lavender Earl Gray and the princess breakfast teas, especially) so much I now order it from www.tealeaves.com (although a CM told me they would probably soon be switching to Twinings). It's one of my 11-year-old's favorite things to do (even DH likes it!). It's relaxing, although it can screw up dinner plans because you're just not hungry. We have it scheduled for 3:30 on our upcoming trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter