• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

After WDW, is DL a disappointment?

JJsmama

WDW addict
Moderators: sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Is DisneyLand still very Magical and Wonderful and Exciting if you are used to going to WDW? I have heard it is so much smaller. I've been to Tokyo DL too and loved it, but it is a 2 hour flight for me. The USA is a long trip for me, so If I come back to US for a Disney trip (possible mother-daughter next year) I would want to stay a few days. Is DL a one day park? I wonder if we would really miss Epcot for dinners...? However, we've never been to DL.

How about the resorts? Are they as great as the Deluxe at WDW?

I grew up going to Disney World and I've been there many many times. I've been to Disneyland 2x and it's definitely a different feel. Disneyland isn't isolated like the Disney World parks. It's located not too far from a major highway and right off a major road. You can see a lot of the larger attractions from the road. I suppose it feels a bit like a traditional amusement park...until you get inside. Once inside the park, it begins feeling like Disney and it doesn't take long to forget you're in an urban area.

There are several attractions that are unique to Disneyland (The Matterhorn, Indiana Jones Adventure, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, and several others). You'll also notice some neat differences in a few popular attractions (i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean). You also have Disney's California Adventure right across the plaza. California Adventure feels kind of like Disney Hollywood Studios with a little Epcot thrown in.

I'd recommend at least 2 days to cover both parks.

The nice thing about Disneyland is that the other properties (California Adventure and Downtown Disney) are both right next door and within walking distance. You can easily park hop and/or head to Downtown Disney for some eating/shopping.

I haven't stayed on-site at Disneyland. However, there are a lot of hotels just down the road and most have shuttles running to the park.

I enjoyed my visits to Disneyland, but I prefer Disney World.

No, they are both wonderful, but in slightly different ways.

We love WDW with the multiple parks and the variety of hotels with their great theming and the wider variety of activities. The experience at Disneyland is different, but once you are at the parks they compare very favorably to WDW. Disneyland is great for 2-3 days, whereas you could spend 7-10 days or more at WDW easily without running out of things to do.

No way! I love DL! The park is smaller but there are more rides put into a smaller space. I actually like the DL version of alot of the rides better. Such as POTC, Space Mountain, they have an Indiana Jones ride which is awesome! When people ask me if I like WDW or DL better, I tell them I like them both the same but for different reasons.

Nice thread, I was always wondering that too as we have never been to DL only WDW. We may try to go some day. How do the crowds compare?

I have not been lucky enough to go to DL, but my DD chats with a girl who works there and loves it..I think a HUGE difference is the amount of Face characters at DL...which is awesome to me. I belive SM gets the nod at DL as well:thumbsup2

We much prefer WDW to DL because there is so much more to do for so
many days at the Florida parks,

BUT...

Many of the attractions shared with WDW are a bit
"better" at DL.

Pirates, Fantasmic!, Space Mtn., just to name a few.

Indiana Jones ride is one of the best Disney creations
in the US parks (with, by far, the best queue.)

And the fireworks show ("Remember Dreams Come True")
at DL may be the BEST, most elaborate and creative
fireworks show ever designed.

And yes, DL can be crowded most any day of the year.

One more thing. WALT spent a lot of time there.
He loved that park.
DL is special for that reason alone!

Lots more, but that's a thumbnail from me.

DLR for WDW Veterans by HydroGuy
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

WDW for DLR Veterans by HydroGuy
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636

Have to agree with PP's that DL has it's own special feel and unique differences in some of the rides. I remember how disappointed I was when I found out there wasn't a restaurant in PotC at WDW like there is at DL. And the submarine ride! Oooooo...I was not happy when they announced they were removing that from WDW. :mad:

While there is much more to do at WDW, DL is perfect for 2-4 days (I could probably spend a whole day just riding SM).

I like DW better. DL is much smaller and has a more urban feel than DW. Being from the midwest I was shocked to see what appeared to be gang members hanging out in the parks and some graffiti painted on some of the buildings. Of course the last time I was there was in 2003.

Best way I know how to answer your question is to share my experience with both parks, so here goes.

Only been to the World once. Have been to DL numerous times. Love the intimate feel of DL but also love the wide open feel of the MK.

Getting to the parks at DL is so easy! I love that there are so many "affordable" hotels right outside the park's gates. We always stay at a crosswalk hotel on Harbor Blvd. and love that it's only a 5 minute walk to the security check points. I've never stayed at the Disney Hotels, but have read that they're quite nice. Paradise Pier has direct access to DCA so if you stayed there you would never have to see the outside world unless you wanted to.

We park hop every day at DL. We start the mornings out at DL, then when the crowds begin to arrive around 11 AM, we hop over to DCA to spend the afternoon, then back to DL for the evening using FPs that we had collected during the morning. Much harder to do this at WDW.

I prefer POTC, SM & California Screamin' in CA over their counter parts at WDW.

Indiana Jones is a wonderfully themed attraction. Although it's a bit rough for me, I always ride it at least once every time we go to the parks.

I prefer TOT in WDW over the DCA version, but both are fun. Big Thunder and Splash @ WDW are a little better than DL's versions.

Love Fantasmic at DL although I prefer the seating at WDW. We just happened to be at DL on the night that Murphy made his debut appearance at DL's Fantasmic last summer. What a special treat that was! And I love the Pirate ship with Peter Pan and Hook battling it out up in the mast.

I haven't been on Kilimanjaro Rapids at AK, so can't compare, but love Grizzly Rapids in DCA.

WDW: We have so many wonderful memories of our trip to Florida in 2005. The boat ride from Epcot to DHS was beautiful on the night we went to see the Osbourne Lights.

Seeing Cinderella's castle come into view from the ferry took my breath away. Watching the fireworks from the ferry at the MK was another special memory.

And all the entertainment at WDW! I love live shows and am in "musical heaven" at the World.

And what can I say about the World Showcase? I'm determined to spend a full day there this time. I will never have the chance to tour the world any other way so intend to take full advantage of our time there.

I didn't get to spend very much time in Future World in 2005 so hope to be able to this time. We did catch Soarin' and Test Track, but that was all I saw on our last trip.

I was so impressed with the way Disney themed AK! It felt like we were in Africa itself. We never did make it to Asia but intend to spend an entire day in the park this time so am anxious to see that area of the park.

There were so many things we missed during our last trip to WDW, that we decided we just had to go back again. We're not looking forward to the 5 1/2 hour flight, but I know we will feel it's worth it once we get there.

some graffiti painted on some of the buildings. Of course the last time I was there was in 2003.

:scared1: Graffiti? At DisneyLand? Wow. :sad1:

DisneyLand was beautiful but crowded the last (and only) time I was there. But of course that was the mid-1970s. :rotfl:

They each have ups and downs. DL is smaller, but they don't have closed attractions all over the place. Especially recently, they have a better track record of maintenance and upkeep along with spending money where needed. Also, DL has alot more hidden little things to find that I have ever found at WDW. As Robo said, many attractions that are cloned, have a different feel at each park. Whole scenes are either missing or added from one to the other.

What are you looking for in a park to make it a good day? Both WDW and DLR have many unique attractions that are world class and better than most other theme parks. DLR is a bit more of an experience since it was the original, and their local fan base doesn't let them forget that. Their AP holders are much more rabid than those at WDW, so they can't get away with things like dropping the Lights of Winter without a massive uproar. But WDW has more parks to visit, more resorts to stay at, and is also an experience as you can be completely isolated from the real world and not have to worry about it at all.

DL park is an amazing experience. It has so much more to offer than the MK, the Matterhorn is super fun, the POTC is way better than WDW's version, Blue Bayou is also a wonderful restaurant experience inside POTC that cannot be missed. I have never seen Fanstasmic at WDW, but at DL it is one of the best shows I have seen in my life on the Rivers of America. DCA is so neat as well, California Screamin is one of my favorite coasters and World of Color is opening soon. It is nice to have to jump on a bus or monorail and just stroll between the two parks. We stayed at the DL Hotel in December and it was pure magic. Now I love WDW too, with AK and Epcot being my favorite, but I DL resort is my all time favorite.

I have had the same feelings as the OP has. We too are planning on going to DL for the first time next September. I am very excited to see the first original Disney park and to be and see where Walt himself was. We are planning on going for 7nights/8days and have read (been reading up on DL a lot lately) and they said that staying at DL for 5 nights is like staying at WDW for 10 nights due to how much smaller and less things to do there. Now, we are WDW vets, we have gone many times and within the last couple of years have started going twice a year, therefore we know WDW like the back of our hands (kids included)....basically anyone can ask me anything about WDW and I will answer then with no problems, but give me a question about DL, then that person will get a look of confusion coming from my face :rotfl: I have read many ups and downs about the differences between DL and WDW therefore I am going to go there with my expectations a lot lower because I know once I get there I will be pleasantly surprised....I mean it's Disney!

We LOVE WDW and have been going forever, but also LOVED Disneyland. I had always wanted to see the "first" park. It really is a magical place. A lot of the rides are better than WDW. Comparing Magic Kingdom to DL park IMHO Disneyland wins hands down. For the overall experience you can't bet WDW. As for the resorts, we've stayed in most of WDW resorts and only in the Grand Californian at DL. It was wonderful and would stay there again. For a true Disney fan you have to do both parks and see for yourself.

Enjoy The Magic!!

We have been to Disneyland before California Adventure opened and again after. Each time we enjoyed it but it seemed to be a teaser for Disneyworld. We were at Disney, but many of the attractions we liked among the 4 Florida parks were not there. It was a nice change, but left us "hungry" for more.
The castle is a big disappointment--nothing on the scale of the Orlando version. I know many here talk about the ease of walking between the CA parks, but Fla was built to build excitment as you see the MK from the TTC area and I kind of like that perspective.
To me Disneyland is like going to Florida and going to MK and then a park with carnival rides that do not fit any Disney theme but then Soarin, Bugs' Life, and Tower of Terror are thrown in. There is also an Aladdin show which is set up like the Beauty and the Beast show in FL. You will not find anything like the World Showcase or Animal Kingdom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter