• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

After park closes at 8pm, are off-site restaurants packed?

CardinalsFan

First Time to DLR in Dec 2007
We (DW, DD7, DD4, and I) are going in December value season, when DL closes at 8pm nightly during the week. We're staying at the HoJo, and I figure we'll be eating a late dinner at Mimi's/Millie's/TonyRoma's/etc each night before going back to the hotel. Or maybe a DTD restaurant one night.

But, is that what everyone else does, too? Will we be waiting long for a table, and then getting to bed much too late?

Maybe we should phone-in an order to go, and eat at the hotel? I'd really rather not...

Is it possible to phone any of these restaurants and "put your name in" for a table, telling them you're on your way over?

Looking for advice from others who tried the same thing I'm planning on doing (showing up at a nearby off-site restaurant immediately after closing).

Thanks in advance!

During our October trip last year, we ate once at Bucca de Beppa in Garden Grove (appx 1-2 miles from DL). While it *was* crowded, we only waited about 15 minutes for a party of six. Great food - but the "artwork" was a little risque.

My only other experience is with DTD, and YES the restaurants are absolute MAYHEM in DTD within 1-2 hours prior to DL closing each night. We did not realize how hard it would be to actually have a nice sit-down dinner after a long day at DL. We were frustrated many times with the wait for food (kids crying because of exhaustion/hunger/long lines and our own poor planning!). SOOOO, this year we are making a DTD dinner reservation for *every night* so that we will have a guaranteed place to sit, relax & eat without standing in line (part of our vacation splurge!).

If you want a DTD restaurant, call in your Priority Seating reservations well in advance of your trip.

I love the DTD restaurants - call and make reservations prior to though - and most don't reserve through Disney, but you have to call them direct. Rainforest Cafe is a neat experience for kids, we do that and the food is decent and a close walk for you.

YES!!!, the restaurants on Harbor and DTD get PACKED after the parks close.:crowded: ::yes::

We always leave the park at least 30-40 minutes before closing if we plan on eating at a restaurant on Harbor or in DTD before the masses arrive.

The only time we stay until closing is if there's fireworks. No fireworks, leave a little early for dinner.:thumbsup2

It is complete bonkers. If we could not make a PS onsite or a reservation offsite we just did not eat there. Do as 4bugzinarug suggests and make a PS/ressie for every evening.

I have called Mimi's cafe as we were leaving (with everyone else) and put our names on the waiting list. By the time we got there we only had to wait a few minutes before being seated.

Yes!!
DTD restaurants are packed. We went at the end of Sept last year.
I made ps ressies for every night and was soooo glad I did.
The first night was a Monday night and Rainforest Cafe had a 45 minute wait at 8pm.
We had priority seating for 8pm and walked right past the long line and to our table.
I made ressies for every night for this year's trip too.
If we don't want to sit down at a restaurant we can always cancel.

Think you have your answer...yes!! I was really shocked with how quiet the parks were when we there last (Nov 05) and yet, how crowded the restaurants were...but obviously the parks are huge and DTD is not!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter