• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

after knee replacement surgery

diberry

DIS Veteran
Last September I had knee replacement surgery which has been a really wonderful improvement. I can walk for miles. The only problems I have are coming down stairs, getting in the car when someone parks too close (!) and some rides where I have to bend my knee further than it will go! Has anyone discovered a way of getting round this? Riding Snow White, BTM etc were painful on my last visit (3 months after surgery) because there wasn't enough room between the seat I was on and the one in front. It might be better in August because it'll nearly be a year since the operation but I was just wondering if there's a trick to sitting comfortably in a confined space?

My DH had his left knee replaced 3 years ago (and his right knee just 2 weeks ago) and has the same problem still. Some attractions have more leg room in the front row of the car vs. the back.

Also, ask if there is an accessible car. The "companion" seat(s) usually has a lot of leg room.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713
That is the board's FAQs and please read it as it is very informative.

GAC: Get the GAC for no stairs and the CM will send you on a path that avoids stairs. It is good for up to 5 guests and the GAC holder.

Ask the CM on rides like Snow White if you can sit alone. Sit sideways so that your leg gets a bit more room. I was on Pooh at DLR and my knees were wedged against the seat in front of me. I am short legged and short so for me that was something strange as I would hate to be 6 feet tall on that ride.

Some rides may have sample cars where people take pictures and you can see if you fit comfortably.

Last September I had knee replacement surgery which has been a really wonderful improvement. I can walk for miles. The only problems I have are coming down stairs, getting in the car when someone parks too close (!) and some rides where I have to bend my knee further than it will go! Has anyone discovered a way of getting round this? Riding Snow White, BTM etc were painful on my last visit (3 months after surgery) because there wasn't enough room between the seat I was on and the one in front. It might be better in August because it'll nearly be a year since the operation but I was just wondering if there's a trick to sitting comfortably in a confined space?

DM is going with us in Oct and she will be 4 months from surgery. She is nervous that she won't make it. Do you have any suggestions. :goodvibes

DM is going with us in Oct and she will be 4 months from surgery. She is nervous that she won't make it. Do you have any suggestions. :goodvibes
Rent an ECV or wheelchair.
Plan for her to rest in the nurse's station or do half days and rest in her room or the resort.
Not sure what type of surgery but if it is knees and ankles she should be fine if she follows doctor's orders, rests, and uses a mobility aid.

I had my left knee replaced Feb. 08 and went to WDW Aug. 08. I worked extremely hard post op in PT to get as much bend as possible. I used an ECV since the right knee is still bad. I did not have a problem fitting into anything I wanted to do, but my left knee bend matches my right. I would think that a year since TKR you will do much better than 3 months post TKR.

Have fun and take it easy!
Debby

I had my left knee replaced Feb. 08 and went to WDW Aug. 08. I worked extremely hard post op in PT to get as much bend as possible. I used an ECV since the right knee is still bad. I did not have a problem fitting into anything I wanted to do, but my left knee bend matches my right. I would think that a year since TKR you will do much better than 3 months post TKR.

Have fun and take it easy!
Debby
Oh that's really encouraging Debby, thank you very much. I also worked hard on my exercises but it 's not as flexible as I'd hoped. Still, I'm so grateful to be able to walk without pain!! Thank you also mechurchlady for your idea about trying the sample cars and clkelley for your suggestions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter