After Hours Event - Affect On Daytime Crowds?

TinkSassy

DIS Veteran
I'm planning for MLK weekend and we were thinking of ending our trip at MK on Monday. There is an After Hours Event that night and I have never been to the parks on a day that had these before. Is there any affect on the daytime crowd levels? What about the Fireworks crowd level? I have 15 days to my FP+ day so I still have time to juggle park days.

I have gone to the MK one eveing, just before 4pm, one time, not knowing about the after hours paid event.
The crowds were lined up enmass at the entrance to be let in early at 4pm! Their event didn't start til 7pm!!!
That is what bothers me. Us regular park goers get cut off at 4 pm. I know, I know, we can stay there until 7pm In Theory!
However, the reality is that when the floodgates open for early entry, it gets unbearably crowded. All the lines were extra long. It was so crowded that we had to literally fight our way out of the MK. No kidding, we had shoulder to shoulder trying to get out of the crowds. I would never, ever do that again.
WHY do they let event goers in this early? It interferes with the regular paying day guests enjoyment, as has been mentioned time and time again on these boards. I guess the "why" boils down to what matters most lately: Money!
If that's the only time you can go to MK, then you have to realize that the crowds are awful and you will have long waits on attractions.

We are there 3 days - Sat, Sun, Mon. Thinking we will do DHS all day Saturday and either stay/return for the Star Wars fireworks that night (if mid-day crowds are heavy here - we may take a boat trip to Epcot to catch the new Canada Movie and B&B Sing-a-long and return for evening).

Sunday and Monday can be swapped - one day we are planning all day at MK the other we will hop between HS and Epcot for sure (we will have dinner at Rose and Crown and watch Epcot forever on this night). However, we are not locked in which day these have to be. MK is closing at 8pm on both days and DHS has EMH on Sunday if that makes any difference on recommendations.

I have gone to the MK one eveing, just before 4pm, one time, not knowing about the after hours paid event.
The crowds were lined up enmass at the entrance to be let in early at 4pm! Their event didn't start til 7pm!!!
That is what bothers me. Us regular park goers get cut off at 4 pm. I know, I know, we can stay there until 7pm In Theory!
However, the reality is that when the floodgates open for early entry, it gets unbearably crowded. All the lines were extra long. It was so crowded that we had to literally fight our way out of the MK. No kidding, we had shoulder to shoulder trying to get out of the crowds. I would never, ever do that again.
WHY do they let event goers in this early? It interferes with the regular paying day guests enjoyment, as has been mentioned time and time again on these boards. I guess the "why" boils down to what matters most lately: Money!
If that's the only time you can go to MK, then you have to realize that the crowds are awful and you will have long waits on attractions.
I have never heard of people being cut off at 4 for an after hours event when the park isn't closing. I am assuming you are talking about a MVMCP or MNSSHP, when parks close at 6pm. They let party goers in early because it spreads out their entry. Everyone headed to the party entering just as every day guest is trying to get out produces a logistics nightmare. Once upon a time they used to give an hour between park close adn the start of the party to 100% clear the parks. I wish they would go back to this because it would me no one trying to sneak into the party and no pre-party congestion.

The after hours event happening MLK week is totally different. Disney After hours starts after fireworks and regular park close, and the earliest you can get in on a DAH ticket is 6-7pm, depending on the night. It has much less of an impact on daytime traffic because 1. the park isn't closing early, and 2. the number of tickets sold is much lower than a party.

Are we talking AH or Halloween or Christmas parties?
AH is a very limited number event, no where close to Halloween or Christmas Party crowds. AH guest are allowed in at 7PM, not at 4PM and it officially doesn't begin until the park closes.
I've been to 7 or so AH events and I highly doubt the small amount of people that allow walk on's for 7DMT, FOP and SDD affect anything. Ha

Was there last MLK weekend and we attended the After Hours, it is so few people I don't think it had any impact to attendance or fireworks. I think the parties are a completely different story. It did get extremely crowded on saturday and sunday of that weekend but Friday was great.

Perfect - we will stick with our original plan. It is an AH event - not a holiday party.

Perfect - we will stick with our original plan. It is an AH event - not a holiday party.
Agree that DAH event will not impact crowds for you at all. If it's in the budget - consider doing the event. The 8-11pm events are great because I am too stinking old to go until 1AM. We did it this past February and it was well worth the cost for unlimited snacks with teenagers, walk on rides, and that empty park feel.
If you don't do the event, you might consider flipping your days because Disney certainly won't extend MK hours when there is an AH event. However, the other day they might extend park hours. Just something to think about if you prefer later/extended evenings in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter