After being smoked out of Cat. 6, I'm glad I have 9 for reposition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL....a little slow here.....I just got that "wasn't the first butt I saw".......too funny. Putting a tip in the jar for the entertainment!!

We travel with a handicapped friend who has MD and is on a respirator. We CANNOT be around smoke. (We've had verandah rooms twice & have never had a problem with smoke, thank God! We also have three rooms right next to other, which really helps.) If Disney is going to allow smoking on verandahs, there should be a smoking section of rooms like they do in the resorts. People paying for a verandah should not have to breathe in others' disgusting tar & nicotine. It's just common courtesy & also a matter of life & death for some people. That's just my 2 cents! Cathie & The Gang:wave2:

I don't think smokers have any clue how irritating and foul their habit is. Yesterday at work a man came in to ask me a question; he was near me for about 30 seconds, and he was not smoking at the time but he obviously had been smoking recently. The stench remained in my area for a good five minutes -- and this was just from him and his clothes, not an actual cigarette!

The point: Your cigarette invades MY life too! You cannot "keep your smoke to yourself" -- it's impossible.

Back to the subject: I think it'd be wise to assign all smokers to verandahs on the port side of the ship and all non-smokers to the verandahs on the starboard side of the ship. That way people could be guaranteed that they'd be smoke-free on their own verandahs.

Should have known I would get the smokers up in arms again! My point was a warning to those (like me) who are not frequently around people who smoke and are thus very sensitive to the smell- do not pay the extra money for a verandah if it is going to bother you to have smokers out on it. That said, I DO think it should be an option to request a verandah in an area where you are guaranteed smokers will not spoil your enjoyment of what you paid for- just like they can enjoy smoking on the verandah they paid for. We were on a three night cruise, so the ship actually moves very little during waking hours, and I found that when we were sitting still there was not all that much breeze. As for whether or not that would be enough to make thing stinky, smokers have to realize that their sense of smoke smell is dulled by smoking, and that nonsmokers smell it much more accutely when smokers believe no smell is there. I can't tell you how many people I know who honestly believe no one knows they smoke when everyone around them can clearly smell they do! We are not talking about seperate porches on different levels of an apartment complex- we are talking about basically one long verandah seperated only by a piece of sheet metal.

Anyway- my real purpose was in letting those debating room type know that as long as DCL keeps smokers and nonsmokers next to one another, there is no guarantee that your verandah will be a retreat to enjoy the fresh sea air, as it may be 6 inches away from someone else's smoking porch.

Finally, I think the alcohol argument is a little lame. I have no objection to my children (or me) SEEING someone smoking, even though I find the habit a little foul. My problem is that I don't just have to see it, I am forced to passively participate when I have to smell and breathe it. If the drinkers were going around misting our mouths with alcohol, that argument might hold a little water. Since DCL got rid of the Segway demonstration, I hardly think drunk driving is relevant on a cruise ship.

Some of us have asthma and need to avoid smoke.

And regarding no children in the clubs after nine.......on the April 24 cruise, a couple brought their baby, in a stroller, into the club and sat there, no one asked them to leave. They sat in the "smoking" section.

Carnival Cruise Lines had a ship called the Paradise that was completely smoke free....it seemed like a good idea but very recently they have changed it to allow smoking because it was just not financially feasible.

As far as banning drinking from the cruise...that is ridiculous!!! Impressionable teens are going to see more drunks at middle school/high school parties than they will ever see on the ship and if you don't think they will...than you are living in a bubble. I am not trying to sound harsh, but just because some people don't enjoy alcohol at all...does not mean that it should be banned from the cruise. The vast majority of drinkers drink responsibly. Out of 10 DCL cruises we have only encountered one drunk and he was taken care of promptly by DCL security.

If someone encounters a drunk onboard it would be an excellent learning lesson that could be shown to children on how not to act when drinking. I am not saying children should be subjected to drunks...but to think that children should never see someone smoking or drinking is not facing reality.

Just my .02.

MJ

I was kidding about the drinking thing!
To some extent.....drunk drivers kill more innocent people than smokers do. You could smoke a carton of cigarettes, get in your car, and drive home safely. Drink a case of beer, get in a car, and take a chance of killing someone. That was the ONLY serious part of my response.

Most of what everyone else has said is true, sometimes you can smell it on the verandah, sometimes you can't. I think it would be a stretch to say that it could get into your clothing, if they were out there drying on one of your chairs.
I also think that if your door is open, and the person next to you is smoking on their verandah, it could come into your room. Maybe they should have separate sides of the ship.....but most people who have cruised before have a "favorite" side, so then that would start a debate also. As far as putting smokers in the back of the ship.....that sort of reminds me of sending people to the back of the bus.
PizzieDuster had a cigarette butt fly down from up above....does that mean all smokers are pigs?? No, it means that the person who flicked it is a pig, and probably in more ways than one. But you'll find that with smokers & non-smokers. It's been said before...ban the smoke, then ban the heavy perfume (which makes me gag) then ban the people we don't bathe frequently enough or use deodorant......where do you draw the line?
And yes, I realize the point for some is the 2nd hand health concern....but for most it's just the yukky smell. There are lots of yukky smells, and any of the above can send an asthmatic running. So, where do you draw the line?

Originally posted by epjenk
Anyway- my real purpose was in letting those debating room type know that as long as DCL keeps smokers and nonsmokers next to one another, there is no guarantee that your verandah will be a retreat to enjoy the fresh sea air, as it may be 6 inches away from someone else's smoking porch.

I'm glad you posted your experience.

That's the very reason we decided to switch from a cat. 6 to a cat. 8.
We decided the extra money would be better spent on excursions than on a balcony that we may or may not be able to fully enjoy.

The little old lady went to the doctor for a check up. While talking to the doctor she mentioned that she farted a lot but no one knew because they were silent and didn’t smell. At the end of the appointment the doctor gave her some pills to take over the next two weeks and then she was to return for a follow up appointment.

When she returned for the second appointment she was steaming mad. “Doctor, I don’t know what those pills were for but now my farts really stink!” The doctor just smiled and said “Now that we have your sinus infection cleared up, we’ll work on your hearing”:jester: :jester:

--------
Like a prior poster commented, smokers don’t know how much they really reek after smoking (even outside in a breeze). They are used to the smell. Heck, most even like the smell. The problem is that the rest of us don’t and many folk are allergic to the smoke (or left over toxins).

I used to be a smoker and THANK GOD I quit! I have an Uncle who is dying of lung cancer both lungs. I have another Uncle who had to be put on a venilator for the last few months he lived. My Mother in Law has emphezema. All 3 of these people saw nothing wrong with smoking. My Mother in law still chooses to smoke even though she knows it is killing her. I am not preaching, just stating facts. I used to really love smoking and it was very enjoyable to me. By the grace of God I quit and can breathe for the first time in my life. I realize smokers have rights, I do too!! I just want to BREATHE!!!! Put smokers on one side and non- smokers on the other.

Teri

When you encounter a problem of smoking from a next door verandah, do you let teh occupant know that is is disturbing you? If not, then you have no reason to gripe at smokers. If you do ask, does the smoker put it out and try to comply with your request? If not, then you have a right to complain. Does it happen every time you are on your verandah? It's hard for me to believe that the smoker in the other room is smoking constantly or only when a non-smoker enters their cabin specifically to enjoy their verandah. Some take each one of these posts to continually gripe instead of doing something about it. Please write DCL and enter it on your comment cards and hopefully something will change in the future. I certainly agree that both should be accomodated in some way and in a way that is least obtrusive to the other. Certainly smoking in closed rooms such as bars and lounges should be prevented IMO. As far as cabins as concerned, it really makes sense to separate them to opposite sides of the ship but this would be a reservation nightmare as they have no idea how many smokers will be on one ship to the other. Would that mean that if there were only a few smokers, some non-smokers who wanted to cruise would be bumped to the smoking side - people would complain about this as well (I certainly agree that those people with respiratory problems should be placed at the front of the ship so there is less likely a chance to be wafted with smoke -Hmmm - maybe the front of the ship should be non-smoking)- . Oh well just some thoughts. Most of the smokers I have run into are very considerate but I have seen first hand the impression of a discouteous smoker has had on the non-smoking public. - Mike

Camickey~ you make some good points in your post. It would be a ressie nightmare for DCL. If one side was designated smoking, that would create a problem. If it was designated Starboard for example, non smokers would complain that they couldn't have a view of CC, or whatever, or vice versa. Someone always wants what they can't have...

You make a great point. If the non smoker balconies were located forward to midship, that would give people options if they don't want to be bothered by smoke as they are up wind, not down wind from the smokers. But i'm sure some will complain that they love the Aft, so it's not fair... no pleasing everyone, that's the problem.

We had smokers on our last cruise to our left & they didn't bother us at all. Generally they came out in the evening, or the morning for a cigarette when we were out there & it wasn't a problem. They weren't out there often. They were really nice people!

If they made Rockin' Bar D smokefree, that would help the majority of the people, as that venue doesn't have great ventilation & seems to attract the most people due to the entertainment.

There is no easy answer here, but I think practicing tolerance is a good start.. I find my friends I have who smoke to be extremely considerate of non smokers. I see them get ticked & go into retaliatory mode when they encounter the judgmental non smoker who is nasty, or conveys an intolerant attitude. Perhaps many of you who have had problems need to think about how you treated that smoker & whether that could have been part of the problem... I have always found too if you ask nicely, the majority will quickly comply & extinguish, or move away from you. There's always some that are obnoxious, but they are most likely that way in all facets of their lives!

There are three issues when it comes to smoking on the Disney ships:

1. Exterior areas -- Today, you can smoke anywhere, except right by the Mickey pool. How hard would it be to have designated smoking and non-smoking areas? Not hard at all! Smokers and nonsmokers would both benefit. Nonsmokers would be able to sit down without having to breathe smoke or move whenever a smoker lights up near them. Smokers could feel free to smoke, knowing that they won't offend anyone, and without having nonsmokers compain to them that they were there first. Come on, DCL! Please get with it!

2. Clubs -- Rockin' Bar D (Magic) and Wavebands (Wonder) are primarily entertainment venues. They should be available to every adult passenger at night, including those who cannot tolerate smoke or who just dislike the smell. How hard would it be limit smoking to one well ventilated lounge in the nightclub area? Perhaps even by carving out a pleasant, new smoking lounge from storage space in that area? Please, DCL!

3. Verandahs -- I imagine that the percentage of smokers who book verandah staterooms is greater than the overall percentage of smokers on on the ship. After all, heavy smokers book verandahs for the convenience of being able to smoke whenever they want to. That can be a bad deal for adjacent non-smokers, especially when the ship is in port. The nonsmoker really can't ask the smoker to stop. The smoker paid a substantial premium over a regular stateroom speciffically to be able to smoke there. The answer is to designate smoking and non-smoking verandahs. It wouldn't be "a nightmare" for DCL Reservations because passengers are booked into specific staterooms anyway. The deck plan would show each verandah's smoking designation. Make 30 or 40% of the verdandas "designated smoking." That wouldn't be hard. Please, DCL.

DCL is already the best cruise line for nonsmokers. And DCL already imposes rules on smokers. With a little fine-tuning of those rules, the Disney ships could be even better for non-smokers, without really making things any less pleasant for smokers.

I sent an e-mail to Disney Cruise Line and got the following response. Disney seems to be ignoring the problem. Their response is something like "Send this guy a bug letter." Did anyone else get the same letter?

6/2/04

Thank you for your e-mail.

I'm sorry for your disappointment with our smoking policy. For the comfort and enjoyment of our
guests, the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder have been primarily designated as non-smoking ships.
However, we recognize that some of our guests smoke. Therefore, to provide an onboard atmosphere
that also satisfies smokers, we have designated smoking areas in Beat Street/Route 66 lounges, all
open-air decks, and on private verandahs. Disney Cruise Line asks all guests to please observe the
non-smoking areas and to refrain from smoking pipes and/or cigars in any of the public areas. These requests are made to provide a comfortable shipboard living atmosphere for everyone. We hope these
efforts demonstrate that we have addressed our non-smoking guests' needs as while as providing
options for our adult guests who want to smoke.

We look forward to the chance to sail with you soon.

Sincerely,

Tracey, Guest Communications
Disney Cruise Line

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

I am sure that you are aware that there are many Disney cruisers who would like a more smoke free environment. The clubs stink. I could not go in them. Every open air area is filled with smoke. You can not go out on your verandah because of the smoke. Please look at what people are saying. See:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=579955&perpage=15&pagenu
mber=1

I live in Toronto and effective June 1st, all restaurants, bars, dance clubs, pool halls, bowling alleys, bingo parlours etc are smoke free. People were upset about it, some people still are, however they will get over it. Friends of mine live in a city where this has been the policy for a couple of years and most smokers and non-smokers agree that it is enjoyable to go out, everyone is happy, and the smokers actually smoke less when they go out because they have to go outside to a special area to smoke.

I think banning smoking inside all venues on the ship would be no problem - in fact I'm kind-of surprised you can actually smoke inside. I think having a few outside smoking areas around the ship would be fine.

I am a smoker and I would have no problem going outside to smoke. The verandah is more difficult. I would like to be able to have one or two cigarettes on the verandah, however if we tried to keep out door open and smoke was wafting in constantly from out neighbour I would be upset. DH doesn't smoke and I know he would be really ticked - and would then use this as an excuse to bug me about my habit! :rolleyes: I think when I go out (if I do) I would take a quick look at my neighbours to see if they are out or their door is open before lighting up. I am really conscious of respecting others around me and hope others would be the same. Maybe if everyone (smokers and non) were just more considerate and nice in general we wouldn't have these problems?

Guess we should take this to the debate board..
Oh sorry there isn't a debate board any longer ;)
Carry on:hyper:

Cheers,
Grumbo

Duckielucky, I received the same reply today. Must be their standard "form letter answer".

I sent mine! I should get the form letter back within 24 hours, right?:hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter