After being smoked out of Cat. 6, I'm glad I have 9 for reposition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

epjenk

Cruising with my boys!
We just took our second DCL cruise. Last year we were bumped to a 5 from our res. for a 9. This year we booked a 6. We spent basically no time at all on the verandah because we had smokers next to us who magically seemed to be in their room every time we were in ours. It really spoiled the breakfast in our room during the REAS package when we couldn't enjoy it on the verandah because of the smoke smell. We didn't have the verandah door open a sum total of 30 minutes the entire cruise. I didn't even like laying my swimsuit out to dry out there because it smelled smoky afterward. I was a little sad about giving up the verandah on the reposition (we have connecting 9's), but after this experience I have to say I'd be pretty ticked about paying for a verandah again that was completely useless. I know we had a thread earlier about this topic, and I assure you that I will be passing along the suggestion on my comment card that someone made that smokers verandahs be grouped in a seperate area from nonsmokers. I know they were well within their rights to smoke on the verandah they paid for, but it sure would have been nice to have some fresh air on the one I paid for too!

Totally understand! We had same problem in March. Had to keep door shut sometimes, as the smoke was wafting our way! Glad we didnt have THEIR cabin after them! Nat:Pinkbounc

So sorry to hear about your experience. That would totally suck. I think it is a good idea to include that in the comment cards...maybe if more people did something would be done about it. I think even though we don't have a verhanda room I will include it after our cruise in th comments.

It only makes sence to seperate the smokers and non smokers...it would make eveyones trip more plesant and enjoyable....smokers and non smokers. If your located next to a smokers room you can't help to be angery at the whole party in the room...making any pass by times awarkard. hmmmm just my opnion. :D

But truly sorry for your experience.

OMG...the people next to us when we cruised this past march..smoke in the room..lol, and got in trouble for it.

We were coming down the hall..the dcl castmembers had their door open and the entire room was filled with cigarette smoke..lol. Couldn't believe it.

This topic has come up more than once before. The problem is that all open-air areas stink with smoke. There is only one non-smoking club and it does not have the good shows. Disney needs to have smoking and non-smoking clubs. They should also have a smoking and a non-smoking side of the ship so that non-smokers could enjoy a verandah.

Why is it that non smokers seem to think that the world should revolve around them. Smoking has been debated on this board over and over again, it is beaten like a dead horse. I can't believe that with all the wind that is produced while the ship is sailing that the smoke would just carefully drift from one veranda to another, especially enough to leave a smokey smell in a swimsuit. Just my opinion. Fire away.

Originally posted by KYCruiseCrazy
Why is it that non smokers seem to think that the world should revolve around them. Smoking has been debated on this board over and over again, it is beaten like a dead horse. I can't believe that with all the wind that is produced while the ship is sailing that the smoke would just carefully drift from one veranda to another, especially enough to leave a smokey smell in a swimsuit. Just my opinion. Fire away.

I have to agree with both sides. There should be smoking and nonsmoking clubs, simply for the sake of the children. I also agree that those who smoke have as much right to sit inside and enjoy a good show. It really is ashame that the orignal poster wasn't able to enjoy their stateroom completely! Better luck next time.

Wait just a second...what do you guys mean by the clubs should be non smoking and another for smoking??? I didn't realize you could smoke in the clubs?..Are children in that area?

IMO...smokers should be allowed to smoke only in A...(yes A..meaning one) designated area. We non smokers should not have to breath additionaly polluted air. It is proven that smoking kills...and second hand smoke kills also. As for myself I can handle breathing a little smoke from a smoker standing on the verhanda ..wouldn't like it but would deal with it..but as for my children...I don't think so.

And before all you smokers jump all over my comments and burn me and my opions....my youngest daugher has a life shortning respitatory disease that makes every breath a challange. She will more than likely die from this disorder....so as far as second hand smoke...she simpley can NOT be around it. We want to have her with us as long as we can.....To think of all the smokers out there that take advantage or take each breath for granit...well it really burns me.

I didn't realize any area on the boat could be used for smoking. :mad:

Gunner: Believe it or not, but it does happen. There wouldn't be so many complaining about it if it didn't.

I too thought that the ships were smoke free except for very specific areas and verandahs. You mean people just smoke where and when they want? Does DCL say anything to these people?

I agree that smoking verandahs should be separate from nonsmoking as much as possible. We have been next to people smoking cigars and it drove me inside. This is a family ship and almost all areas should be nonsmoking. We have left the clubs because I can't stand the smoke. Most restaurants, and even most of WDW, is nonsmoking and the cruise should be the same.

I wish that for once smokers would see it from a NON smokers point of view. I dont want the world to revolve around me..I just would like to be able to BREATHE FRESH AIR! I choose NOT to smoke , and i dont like smoke around my son. Smoke affects my sinus and i get bad headaches when around smoke even when passing a smoker. I am going to have a verandah on my cruise, and after all the money i'm paying for it I WANT TO ENJOY IT....SMOKE FREE!!!!!

I'm not flamin' you. Just seems like your remark was uncalled for. My sister smokes, and she goes out of her way (most of the time) so it doesn't bother us. DCL *should* put smoking and non smoking verandahs on oposite sides. That wind that blows so much, actually could and i'm sure does, blow smoke right next door!

I try really hard to stay away from smoking debates...since nothing ever comes of it...but I would LOVE for smokers to realize they are messing with other peoples health! (and i'm not even talking about "second hand smoke";) )

No hard feelings please...just my feelings!:wave:

Since DCL is a family cruise line, then I think they should ban drinking alcohol onboard, too.
My DH & I very rarely ever drink, and I don't like the idea of my impressionable teen & pre-teen being subjected to drunks. And, on our past two cruises, there were plenty of them!

Drinking kills more innocent people than smoking ever could!

Drinking kills more innocent people than smoking ever could!

Had a long diatribe in reply to this comment but isn't worth getting into it.

Care to show your statistics and source of this statement? :)

Cheers,
Grumbo

I don't know if it would help, but if I ever spring for a veranda, I will bring some sort of fan to blow the smoke back at the smokers, might not help, but it would make me feel better.

My reply was tongue-in-cheek.......just trying to deflect the heat off of the smokers.

But I was thinking about drunk drivers with that last statement.
(And unless the Capt imbibes, I don't think we cruisers have to worry about that!)

I generally stay away from these, but wanted to offer my side to this also.

I'm terribly allergic to smoke. In fact it can trigger an asthma attack for me now. HOWEVER, on the cruise ship there are only a few areas that smokers can smoke. Open decks, clubs after 9:00 p.m. and NOT in restaurants, staterooms, or enclosed areas (other than the aforementioned clubs.)

It's not allowed in the Mickey Pool area. It's not allowed in the clubs before 9:00 p.m. (and the kids are not allowed in there after 9:00 p.m.) and even after 9:00 p.m. it's limited to the bar area and the back of the area of the clubs. This is a new policy that was implemented sometime last year. Let me tell you, if you sit in the front or lower section of the clubs you will NOT notice the smoke. In fact I commented on this to my DH who will be the first to tell you that I am quite vocal about my dislike of smoke.

My DH smokes pipe tobacco cigars. Cigars cannot be smoked in the clubs, and ONLY on the open decks or on verandahs. Unfortunately our neighboring cabin had a stinky big fat cigar smoker in it and once or twice the smell came over to our verandah. I chose those moments to return to the interior of my cabin. However, for the most part the ocean breeze is carrying away any smoke from anyone outside on their verandah. it is VERY RARE for someone's smoke to permiate another verandah constantly, let alone get clothes smoky smelling. Again, I would be the FIRST ONE in line to gripe about that.

The inside of the cabins do not smell like smoke because the smoking is done outdoors.

As much as I dislike smoking and as much as it bothers my health, I don't think it's fair to try to tell a smoker that they cannot smoke on their own verandah. Yes, I choose not to smoke or breathe second hand smoke if I can avoid it, but if it were that much of an issue I would ask guest services if there was another cabin on the ship I could be moved to (last resort.)

Just my .02.
Sue Ellen

:confused: do you people have anything better to do than to debate over stupid things.if somebody want to smoke let them.it is their choice.if they want to drink,hey at least they not driving.it is a same thing if you live in apartment building and people above you are running around and playing with their children.they are paying for it.bat you are to.so it comes up same.my father in law died from lung cancer,but mu DH still smokes.i do not like it so he smoke on our veranda.same thing like on the ship.try to enjoy your vacation.life is to short.just try to avoid smokers and drinkers and you will be fine.you can not really just erase all people that do that.:wave2:

Yeah.......have to agree with this a bit. But also see another side too.

The wind is so strong that it blows your curtain so that you almost have to shut the door (sometimes).

Unless you are in port.... this past May, we had to use clips to hold the suits on the chairs down and anything else was blown away. I couldn't imagine trying to light a cig with that wind!

I was never bothered by any smoking on the decks. It just blew away.

I did notice the smoke filtering out of the Rockin D Bar but noticed that they also had "fog" blown onto the dance floor. So it was hard to tell which white stuff was most offending. Had too much fun dancing to care.

And then again... on the other hand, one time late, late at night while we were on our verandah (Deck 8), we watched a flicked cig land on our verandah from up above......probably from way forward Deck 10 or 9, blown toward us. We said "INCOMING" at the same time... 'jinxed'. That was more entertaining that we said the same thing at the same time then really dealing with a lil tiny incoming missle. Well, what cha gonna do? Wasn't the first butt I saw out on that verandah....... badumba! Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week end!

PizzieDuster & SueEllen,
You are two of the most reasonable people who have ever commented on this issue. Very well said & thoughtful. Kudos!

And again, sanela, in case you didn't understand what I meant by "tongue-in-cheek"....that meant I was KIDDING!

I was just trying to lighten things up. Sorry you didn't get the humor. Must have touched a nerve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter