After 23 year no longer a DVC owner

We still enjoy the resorts. The parks have become secondary for us. I think what will convince us to sell is when all the employees we enjoy seeing when we return have moved on. Quite a few moved on when the pandemic ran its course. Now we're down to enjoying old friends and catching up. When out friends move on then so might we.
We just returned home (two days ago) from our first resort only trip to WDW. We enjoyed the warm temps and used our days for r and r. We actually only ate out three times the entire week and enjoyed cooking meals together in our one-bed suite at Rivera. We could not see paying park prices. And we have such distaste for being glued to a phone for Genie+ and LL etc. etc. etc. We let our APs lapse after many years last July. Hanging on to our 300 GFV points for the time being because of me. DH is ready to sell. Changes have not been the best for us. We'll see what the future holds. A return of fast passes would make all the difference for us.

Now with the way they are running the parks plus the fact we have been members for 19 yrs we will probably never go back into the parks. Its just the same stuff year after year why pay those prices and have to be on a strict schedule when vacationing. We have gotten our money's worth out of the contracts over the 19yrs of ownership that we will keep the DVC but go outside of the Disney bubble and visit other attractions. We have in the past taking trips to Disney had never went into the parks and it enjoyed our time so never going back in will not bother us. But having the ability to still have a place to stay for a week for just the price of our dues is still worth keeping. But you are not alone a lot of folks as you can see are selling their contracts. And you still have the option to rent from someone if you want to visit again.

Prior to Covid, we would book day trips through Viator while staying in our DVC resort. Only went to Epcot once for F&W. That Viator day trip cost less than a park ticket and they provide transportation!

We are going to book another next December since everything has opened back up. Try something like this as an alternative to a park ticket.

A DVC owner for 25 years. I am seriously thinking of selling my contract. Obviously the cost of everything is outrageous....the biggest thing is the Magical Express for me...it was great to dropped off your luggage at your airport and then "magically" appear in your room. Now I have to go downstairs to luggage and wait for nearly a hour then go back up and cross to the other side and go back down and grab the "new Paid shuttle"....and arrive to DVC resort in 3 hours. Just a few years ago it was so streamline and hit the shuttle right away and I was at my resort in 35 minutes. No one welcomes you home and have to find your own luggage cart.. Disney is all about technology and numbers...Universal is going to win in the end if they don't change for the guests.

It's funny you mention the arrival and check in aspect.

I actually miss the whole check in experience. The in-person experience of seeing someone face to face and being in the beautiful lobbies of our DVC resorts.

Our very first trip as a family was at the Poly and there was just something breathtaking about walking into that lobby (before the reno) and walking up to the desks...it's as if it hits you...I'm in Disney.... and they gave us leis and a little map to see where our room is and we could ask questions, if we had any, instead of just looking everything up on our phones....

Bring back in person experiences and greetings and those special little touches.

We just sold off two BCV small contracts...at a great time because we got $195/point for them but while I'm torn and not yet ready to sell it all, it's the start of my realization that they're not taking care of us as well. I also think its telling that older contract holders are the ones selling because we knew what DVC used to really mean. Even my blue card. I want that back too!

I don't want to have to search for the app in my phone and show them a dumb little Y (if you don't know what it means you will once you head to a cashier in Disney soon), I want to show them my blue card again!

It's funny you mention the arrival and check in aspect.

I actually miss the whole check in experience. The in-person experience of seeing someone face to face and being in the beautiful lobbies of our DVC resorts.

Our very first trip as a family was at the Poly and there was just something breathtaking about walking into that lobby (before the reno) and walking up to the desks...it's as if it hits you...I'm in Disney.... and they gave us leis and a little map to see where our room is and we could ask questions, if we had any, instead of just looking everything up on our phones....

Bring back in person experiences and greetings and those special little touches.

We just sold off two BCV small contracts...at a great time because we got $195/point for them but while I'm torn and not yet ready to sell it all, it's the start of my realization that they're not taking care of us as well. I also think its telling that older contract holders are the ones selling because we knew what DVC used to really mean. Even my blue card. I want that back too!

I don't want to have to search for the app in my phone and show them a dumb little Y (if you don't know what it means you will once you head to a cashier in Disney soon), I want to show them my blue card again!
I agree with this aspect. I know some people love self-check in and at times I enjoy it but I wish it was optionally. I miss that whole welcoming feeling of checking in.

I can totally understand. I just said to my husband last week that DVC really isn’t worth it anymore. With the specials being offered it’s a better deal. The maintenance fees keep going up and price of tickets etc. it just isn’t the same. The little extra perks have gone by the wayside and it’s just sad. Glad you have some wonderful memories!
Not OP. We have only been members since 2019 and we don’t plan on selling but I doubt the OP ever considered selling when he was a new member.

I think you mistakenly quoted me.

We were DVC owners since 2000 and just sold the last of our 3 contracts.We really loved it at WDW and used to go at least twice a year from the other side of the country. It just isn’t the same for us anymore and has really lost the magic. However, it was great fun while it lasted, I hope everyone else continues to enjoy and make happy memories

We are almost in the same boat. We went from 815 points at 4 resorts to one BWV contact of 270 points. We will sell that contract in a year or so. We usually only use our points as a place to stay before cruises now.

We spent 2 nights at SSR last month after a cruise. Paid over $600 for 2 two day one park tickets. We went to MK for the day. Ended up staying only a couple of hours. It was so crowded. My husband looked around and said MK is not the same anymore and he didn’t ever want to come back. I had to agree with him. Sad day. End of an era for our family.

To each their own but I really don't understand why members think DVC and/or Disney is not going to change. Everything changes. Maybe for those booking studios, but no way is any discount, if there are any, on 2 bedrooms will ever match DVC.
Honestly I think most have unrealistic expectations.

I’m hanging on at the moment, maybe use as a retirement break hotel only stay to get out of the UK Winters.
The ticket prices and park experience isn’t worth it any more. We get the much vaunted UK tickets, but whilst they are good for 14 days, we only go for 7 at a time (but still cheaper than buying 7 days of US ticket).
With Genie, tickets alone are now going to cost over £3000 for a family of 4.
To put this into context, I can take the family on a 1 week package holiday, flights, transfers to say the Canary Islands, in a 4/5 star all inclusive for not much more money than just Disney park tickets.
My parents just went on a P&O Cruise, Canaries and Madeira, think with flights it was under £1000 each.
How can going in a packed overpriced theme park be worth the same? The product has absolutely collapsed in value for us.
I laughed when I saw they would now charge myself and family around $320 for 4 to eat in Chef Mickey with tax and tip, and hundreds of dollars for a breakfast. It has now gone to madness levels, and pure greed.
The park tickets have thus become grossly overpriced, at least for us.
I’m planning to retire in my late 50s so maybe 6 years. We have 390 points so can come over say, Feb, for 3-4 weeks and stay in SSR, Vero, maybe HHI to escape the UK winter.
If it were not for that, I’d be selling after our Xmas trip.

I’m never quite sure about these threads. I think it could just be a natural cycle where you’ve been to one place too much.
A young family going to WDW now just accepts that you have to pay to get to resort from MCO and that you pay for magic band, genie and need park reservations and can’t park hop until 2.
Everything they do at the resorts and parks is new and fascinating, even riding monorail, buses, Skyliner, boats is an amazing first time experience.

Because we have all lived through changes it has devalued it in our eyes but we are replaced by new guests and Disney fanatics. Look at the success of the 100’s of vloggers.

I personally think the parks are much better than when I started going 15 years ago. Hollywood Studios has so much more to do, Epcot getting Frozen, Guardians. I would only argue that AK needs a lot more and better nighttime show…hurry up and sort Dinoland USA
The quality and variety of food is much better (although where did that Darth burger go from Backlot, that was awesome!)

Sure, Genie + stinks but I actually like virtual queue, so much better than 3 hour wait in line.

As for the resorts, this is where I still get the buzz, AKJ lobby is so beautiful it is still emotional walking back in there. Just rekindles so many happy memories.
Look at BRV that refurb is great and now becomes desirable again.

I won’t be selling but will rent out and just go every other year, just had a wonderful trip to Prague, that’s one of few trips where I didn’t miss being at WDW at all.

Remember, don’t just sit in silence fill in the guest surveys, keep telling them what you miss and what to improve. No point grumbling on here although venting steam helps!

Everything changes.
Exactly. And, part of that change is our own experience of a place. As @Ruttangel puts it:

I think it could just be a natural cycle where you’ve been to one place too much.
...or, familiarity breeds contempt.

I don't get too worked up about whether the WDW changes are good or bad. There have been things I don't like all that much. I think the idea of G+/ILL is fine, but the implementation of them wasn't great. The money isn't the problem--I don't mind spending the money. But, the fact that an ILL could be off by hours from the time I 'selected" was enough to get me to stop buying them during my March '22 trip.

On the other hand, the food situation has been getting better. Skipper Canteen is a huge win for MK, and Tiffins is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere in WDW, let alone in the Parks. Satuli and Docking Bay are both strong improvements in the QS realm.

The last several additions have been good (Toy Story) to great (Galaxy's Edge, the Pandoraverse). The Skyliner was a nice addition as well. I've used it several times to leave Studios during an Epcot Festival to nosh around the World rather than make do in the former.

But, at the same time, I don't need to go back as often as I used to. Part of that is very individual and due to some life changes I made*. Part of it is the kids are in their 20s and we increasingly want to do non-theme-park things with them. Part of that is our own vacation habits and preferences as a couple in our mid-50s have changed**.

So, is all of that Disney's fault? Yes, the Parks are super crowded, there are lines everywhere, and it takes planning. But, I'm not sure how different any of that is, vs. how my tolerance for it has changed.

---------------
*: Epcot is a different place pre-sobriety vs. post-sobriety.

**: I'm not too old to rock, though. During last Srping's Orlando visit I spent a day power-riding Mako--which was probably the best coaster in Central Florida pre-Velocicoaster/Iron Gwazi. I also hit up a 311 show at the House of Blues. This year, DD and I are looking forward to checking off the Velocicoaster and if it opens soon enough Sea World's new Pipeline.

To each their own but I really don't understand why members think DVC and/or Disney is not going to change. Everything changes. Maybe for those booking studios, but no way is any discount, if there are any, on 2 bedrooms will ever match DVC.
Honestly I think most have unrealistic expectations.
I think some of the reactions because even if the 2BRs are still a great value, ticket and food prices have rocketed.

Budget-wise to invite family or your kids’ friends, costs have exploded. Park tickets, party tickets, table service, airport transfers… The prices are far higher now and well beyond inflation. We bring my sister sometimes, and in between she she always hints at ‘when are we going again?’ We’ve invited her for this December and she was thrilled. Last week we discussed budget and she balked, even without needing to pay for room.

I think some of the reactions because even if the 2BRs are still a great value, ticket and food prices have rocketed.

Budget-wise to invite family or your kids’ friends, costs have exploded. Park tickets, party tickets, table service, airport transfers… The prices are far higher now and well beyond inflation. We bring my sister sometimes, and in between she she always hints at ‘when are we going again?’ We’ve invited her for this December and she was thrilled. Last week we discussed budget and she balked, even without needing to pay for room.
Compared to professional sporting events, or even college sporting events, Broadway plays and music concerts I don't think Disney is any more expensive than them.

Compared to professional sporting events, or even college sporting events, Broadway plays and music concerts I don't think Disney is any more expensive than them.
I totally agree there, but it is like buying them back to back to back over 5 or 7 days. Adds up in one big chunk.

After 15 years of being DVC members and staying at Disney resorts for 30 plus years, the constant increases and cutbacks are wearing on me but I think that is only because of the value of our Canadian dollar. The 35% plus addition to a Disney vacation really hurts
This is us too - as Canadians that 35% markup due to the exchange rate is a killer. Still not ready to sell our AKV contract though as the cost for cash reservations vs staying on points is insane. We only come every other year as we are coming from Vancouver Island so we have to factor in the flight costs. Admittedly this is our retirement purchases (DVC points). We usually get 14 day tickets from the UK (much cheaper than US costs) and stay for about 3 weeks with the rest of the time as resort stays. I really miss having Magical Express and having to wait at the baggage carousel which last time due to a thunder storm was a loooonnnng wait. The other thing I despise is park reservations, not being able to park hop until 2:00pm and Genie+. I guess if it gets really bad we'll choose resort only stays and maybe go to Universal. We'll keep going for now - I just wish Disney would stop squeezing us for even more money. A girl can dream.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter