After 15 years we are selling

BeesKnees

Mouseketeer
Don't worry. This will not be one of those rant posts. I would like to thank Disboards and all the helpful members here for everything from air conditioner instructions to services like OL. There were a lot of little things that made trips better.

15 years ago Disney was still a couple's destination and now things like meal plans mean you are pretty much guaranteed to always be near children who are either excitably loud or cranky. There were true off-peak seasons and getting reservations was easier. There are a number of other things that have chipped away but again this is not a rant thread. I am glad we purchased and we enjoyed it for years by ourselves and with family.

I know the magic is still there for most of you and that makes me happy. I hope it never completely fades. Ours has faded just enough so that a couple of days into our vacations for the last few years we have been feeling a bit homesick.

Thanks again for all your tips and tricks. This is a great resource board and I am glad I was able to participate here.

-BK

You're not kidding- this is a great resource board. I think we found the DIS with researching DCL and it went on from there. We ended up buying at several resorts, thanks to the boards, and resale for most of the villas.

I was overwhelmed, this past trip, ending with such terrible occurrences both on and off property. I just need to identify when a break is needed, because I now believe it is possible to go too often.

Good luck with your future endeavors (and finding another valuable resource to pursue your dreams)!

You're not kidding- this is a great resource board. I think we found the DIS with researching DCL and it went on from there. We ended up buying at several resorts, thanks to the boards, and resale for most of the villas.

I was overwhelmed, this past trip, ending with such terrible occurrences both on and off property. I just need to identify when a break is needed, because I now believe it is possible to go too often.

This board should be mentioned in every new member packet.

I only had one really bad vacation and that was my own fault for thinking I could stay in a standard room after getting spoiled to villas. I agree with going too often. I think if we had purchased 2 smaller contracts we might only be selling one but since we can't split up a contract we are selling everything. We can always rent at some point in the future.

The good news is the money is being earmarked to help build a indoor pool. So it will still be used to have fun and relax and a custom vacation spot will always be a short walk away.

Enjoy your new lifestyle!

We're 13 years into membership and it still fits our needs. Adding Aulani into the mix of resorts has added to our enjoyment.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, BeesKnees. I've enjoyed my ownership until recently. Now, other than a recent week at Aulani, it no longer seems to fit my needs. No epic rant although some things have angered/disappointed me. Just a realization that the WDW resorts and I just aren't a good fit anymore. I love watching others continue to enjoy it. I love telling newbies some tips to make their time even more magical, but for me? Just not feeling it. Guess it's time to sell (once my points balance recovers from the Aulani splurge). :-)

BEST OF LUCK in all of your future! After 15 years of ownership, bet that the decision wasn't easy, but hopefully there are great things in your future.::yes::
We have owned for 8 years now, but we are enjoying DVC even more being able to travel, just DH and me in non holiday times like October, early December, and our family in late May(still tied to college schedule right now). When our two DS had summer sport commitments and countless sport commitments during school holidays, we were never able to travel. IMO, I do tell anyone contemplating ownership that DVC works best for those who are able to plan a minimum of 7 months in advance. We are planners, so it works for us and we now enjoy spending relaxing resort time, not just non stop park time. We are looking forward to when bringing any future grandchildren! ENJOY your future endeavors!:woohoo::wizard:

I completely understand. I didn't own as long but we are also selling for similar reasons. When we bought in we assumed that by the time we no longer wanted to go as a couple we would have kids. However we found we can't have kids and if we are going to keep traveling as a couple there are other places I would rather go.

I've only owned for 4 years and I have seen a difference between that first trip and our last - just in terms of crowds, and then added planning needed, and the "extra" parties/offers, increased ticket prices, etc. We luckily purchased a lesser amount of points with the ideas we could do weekends in California and then save for a bigger trip with family every few years - and I think this will work best for us. We are thinking the next bigger trip we will save for is to head back to Aulani with my sister and her family. And I also agree that these boards are invaluable! Best of luck to you!

The lack of a real offseason is frustrating. That's when we supposedly go and I can't help but think of how terrible the parks must be in the Summer.
It's not horrible. Parks generally have extended hours, rides operate at full capacity, there are a lot more CM's around, directing walking traffic, etc.

It used to be offseason seemed 3x better than summer, now it seems offseason seems to be 50% better.

Enjoy whatever adventure comes next. I certainly do understand too. Things have changed so much. We share our DVC with grown kids and grandkids, but we find ourselves hanging at the resorts more and more now just relaxing at the BWV quiet pool.....one of the few, still fairly quiet pools left. We too now get homesick after a few days....but we find we are enjoying the disney cruises now where adults have a place to go!

For us it's the cost of park tickets that get us. We have 4 kids, (yes that's our choice) and even with the DVC points it's not a cheap vacation. Our kids are getting older and we want to see other places. We will be renting our points for the second time now so at least we can use that money to use on other vacations. We've been members for 9 years and it's been good to us. Not selling any times soon but maybe in the future.
Best of luck with moving on.

I totally understand. We are getting to that point shortly. Heat and crowds are two things that I don't tolerate well and we could always go off season and have a good time. I'd get to ride everything I want almost as much as I wanted and I didn't have so much planning. Our last trip we missed RnR because it was down in the morning and I didn't have a FP+ so I had to wait 1 1/2 hours to ride or skip it. I've never skipped one of my favorite rides. Maybe I'll feel differently once the new HS opens and AK updates are finished.

I know what you mean, BeesKnees. I've enjoyed my ownership until recently. Now, other than a recent week at Aulani, it no longer seems to fit my needs. No epic rant although some things have angered/disappointed me. Just a realization that the WDW resorts and I just aren't a good fit anymore. I love watching others continue to enjoy it. I love telling newbies some tips to make their time even more magical, but for me? Just not feeling it. Guess it's time to sell (once my points balance recovers from the Aulani splurge). :-)

I have sold well over half my points. I agree it's just not the "fit" I want anymore. I am keeping at least one contract since I spend time there to visit my Dad and it's nicer to stay in my DVC than at a regular hotel. Right now I have two "contracts" and one of them is on the fence... It may go on the market soon (And it's BCV so I feel certain it will sell quickly)

I have been a member for 17 or 18 years so it's been a good run, but might be time to move on :)

Getting to that point but still enjoy it now that we are taking our grandkids on most trips. I do miss the off season times the most. Disney has done a good job of getting folks into the parks during what use to be a off season time to the point we now have troubles getting a resort switch at 7 months where we never had this issue at all in years past. The prices seem to be going thru the roof and I think Disney now looks at us DVC members as nothing more than cash cows. Having said that we will continue to go and enjoy just wish for things as they were not as they are now....smjj

Enjoy your new adventures. Life changes every day. It's okay and WDW will be there for you (cash/rent points, etc.) if you want to go back. This is why it's so important for new members to know that we don't know what is in store for us a few years down the road.

Good luck!

Everyone should have an EXIT strategy for their DVC ownership, whether it be selling or willing it to your heirs. Having a semi-flexible end plan will provide clarity on the value and current enjoyment of your DVC. For us, out EXIT strategy is around 2024, after all our APs and Non-Expire tickets are used up. Of course, we reserve the right to change our mind..... :rolleyes1

ya know....I have realized recently that we hold onto these points because we still take family vacations....but the kids are only a few years from being completely out of the house, and i am worried about what it will be like then....I think due to the decrease in quality IMO, and the ridiculous price increases for annual passes, i think we would probably end up getting rid of our 300 point contract and keeping our 60 point contract and the wife an i will just continue to do our annual December trip down for four nights to see the Christmas stuff and candlelight processional.....I guess we will have to see, but paying $2,400 for annual passes that i cant use during blackout weeks is absolutely ridiculous, and the cost of the dining plan has gotten ridiculous while also stripping away tips and desserts over the years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter