Aft "shudder" on the Fantasy 5/31

Wadekind

DIS Veteran
Had a wonderful brunch at Palo on the first sea day. excellent food, excellent service but terrible atmosphere. There was a rhythmic shudder/vibration every few seconds that was strong enough to feel and move the water around in the glasses on the table which was VERY distracting. This was not the normal vibration you get from a ship underway it was not constant but came and went at a predictable rate like a car tire that has a flat spot or like something was unbalanced.

I also have to wonder who the mental giant was that thought it would be a good idea to put a basketball court right above what is supposed to be an upscale venue that people pay extra for. It is hard to sit back and relax with thump thump thump over your head.

Don't get me wrong, this was the best cruise I have ever taken but the brunch venue has some flaws that I would not expect for an up charge restaurant.

We also had brunch at Palo last week (Monday), and certainly noticed the shudder. It was certainly a bit of a distraction, that's for sure. Also, the shudder was not restricted to Palo only; our stateroom was also aft (deck 9, near the elevators) and we noticed it in there, too.

My wife and I didn't even notice any thumping from the basketball court, though.

We did notice a difference in the shudder on the Fantasy too (compared to the Dream and Wonder). It felt a lot different from the regular motion of the ocean ;)

We didn't notice any sounds from above in Palo though. Maybe we were just there when the basketball court wasn't too busy.

We stayed deck 5 Dream Aft once and I will NEVER do it again. I didn't sleep the entire 3 night cruise and we had too much luggage to even ask to move. I do think the shudder is worse on the new ships than the classics. It was so bad the ceiling paneling fell on me one night. Hated it.

I noticed the same type of vibrations from our Aft stateroom.
I'm pretty certain the Basketball court is closed during Palo dinner hours, Sounds like it's open during brunch hours. :confused3

It definitely seems to be worse on the Fantasy than on the Dream, but I am not sure why. Hopefully they can take a look at that in Drydock and perhaps improve the vibration.

Well--we had dinner at Palo last cruise (Fantasy) and noticed no shudder whatsoever.

Maybe it's how fast the ship was going at the time?

If there were an "inherent" shudder it seems to me it would be felt ALL the time---??

There are a few threads on this and I understand exactly what you are referring to. Strangely - we didn't feel it in Palo during brunch but we did indeed feel it the first few days or when the speed was near the "top". We also stayed aft, however other cruisers in our group who stayed midship also felt it. Once you've felt it, you'll understand what others are referring to. There are several of us that joke it's like putting a quarter in one of those vibrating beds (never done that but I'm assuming it's the same, lol) and it's a shaking feeling, not a part of a normal cruise feeling. It's felt most lying in bed where it seriously shakes you.

My typical disclaimer, it would definitely NOT stop me from sailing the Fantasy nor sailing aft! Don't let it worry you, but it's definitely there :)

Heather

IBelieveInTheMagic said:
There are a few threads on this and I understand exactly what you are referring to. Strangely - we didn't feel it in Palo during brunch but we did indeed feel it the first few days or when the speed was near the "top". We also stayed aft, however other cruisers in our group who stayed midship also felt it. Once you've felt it, you'll understand what others are referring to. There are several of us that joke it's like putting a quarter in one of those vibrating beds (never done that but I'm assuming it's the same, lol) and it's a shaking feeling, not a part of a normal cruise feeling. It's felt most lying in bed where it seriously shakes you.

My typical disclaimer, it would definitely NOT stop me from sailing the Fantasy nor sailing aft! Don't let it worry you, but it's definitely there :)

Heather

I feel the same way. We sailed deck 9 aft in may and I felt it but it wasn't annoying or bothersome, in fact, we all slept like babies! We had dinner in Palo the last night and it was really shaking and shuttering but I think that was because the seas were choppy and we were top speed because we were heading home. I worried and worried before we went because I had read threads about the vibrations. It wasn't near as bad as people described and I would absolutely sail the fantasy again .

We felt in our mid ship stateroom around day 4-6 on the Fantasy mid May. Was never bothersome, we all slept all night. Didn't feel it at all at Palo brunch.

To just add that in previous threads about this same subject, those who appear to be more in the know about cruise ships suggest there IS no problem with the Fantasy.

Many also report feeling no vibration whatsoever--

Others insist it was awful

So:confused3

To just add that in previous threads about this same subject, those who appear to be more in the know about cruise ships suggest there IS no problem with the Fantasy.

Many also report feeling no vibration whatsoever--

Others insist it was awful

So:confused3

Have you had brunch in Palo on the Fantasy while underway at around 21kts under the same sea and wind conditions in the same location? I looked at the other threads you refer to and your sources "who appear to be more in the know about cruise ships" don't appear to have any first hand experience either. I do have experience on multiple cruise ships INCLUDING the same venue on the Dream this "shudder" is unique to the Fantasy. I did not go up there everyday to check it out but mine was a legitimate observation on the day I was there and it is backed up by more than a few people in this same thread and on this board. No one appreciates having their integrity questioned.

The self named "experts" are not what makes these boards useful it is the collective experience of the everyday vacationers who are willing to share their observations. Just because you or I didn't witness what others report doesn't mean it did not happen. I could just as easily act confused as to why someone who claims not to have felt a "shudder" may be trying to gloss over and hide the issue. Again, no one appreciates having their integrity questioned. :(

Just did B2B on a Fantasy, did not really feel anything a Palo brunch, but do know one of the stabilizers sustained some minor damage during hurricane Sandy.. Will be fixed when she is in dry dock

We have been on the Fantasy 3 times and have done 5 brunches ,3 diners and have never experience " the shutter" issue.:confused3

Have you had brunch in Palo on the Fantasy while underway at around 21kts under the same sea and wind conditions in the same location? I looked at the other threads you refer to and your sources "who appear to be more in the know about cruise ships" don't appear to have any first hand experience either. I do have experience on multiple cruise ships INCLUDING the same venue on the Dream this "shudder" is unique to the Fantasy. I did not go up there everyday to check it out but mine was a legitimate observation on the day I was there and it is backed up by more than a few people in this same thread and on this board. No one appreciates having their integrity questioned.

The self named "experts" are not what makes these boards useful it is the collective experience of the everyday vacationers who are willing to share their observations. Just because you or I didn't witness what others report doesn't mean it did not happen. I could just as easily act confused as to why someone who claims not to have felt a "shudder" may be trying to gloss over and hide the issue. Again, no one appreciates having their integrity questioned. :(
This ^^ :) I know what I personally felt as well as my family and many others. It was my 2nd on the Fantasy and I've sailed all the ships. It was my DS and DS's first on the Fantasy and they commented on it immediately. If you haven't felt it, it's difficult to describe but once you experience it you'll know it immediately :rotfl:
Just did B2B on a Fantasy, did not really feel anything a Palo brunch, but do know one of the stabilizers sustained some minor damage during hurricane Sandy.. Will be fixed when she is in dry dock
I've read and heard this a few times but strangely I sailed Dec 2012 after Sandy and didn't experience it then. I think different factors being this out, like speed, weather, etc.

I only wish I would have recorded it as you could hear it too but there's always next time :)

Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter