• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aft Location

2prettygirl

Mouseketeer
We typically get an inside room for the lower cost but we decided to change it up a bit and try an oceanview room, which of course are only aft and fwd of ship. We chose the aft location, 8th deck. Can anyone tell me if you typically feel a lot of movement in the aft, let alone 8th deck?

Which ship are you on? I had an aft 6th deck cabin on the Magic, and I definitely felt the motion. Not horrific, but I felt off a lot of the time.

But everything I've heard says that forward is way worse.

Sayhello

We hade aft on the dream in March. It was great! We felt a little when we came back but it was not bad. We really liked deck 8 and aft location to the elevator and getting to the pool.

Which ship are you on? I had an aft 6th deck cabin on the Magic, and I definitely felt the motion. Not horrific, but I felt off a lot of the time.

But everything I've heard says that forward is way worse.

Sayhello

We are on the Fantasy

We typically get an inside room for the lower cost but we decided to change it up a bit and try an oceanview room, which of course are only aft and fwd of ship. We chose the aft location, 8th deck. Can anyone tell me if you typically feel a lot of movement in the aft, let alone 8th deck?
From our history the back of the ship gets less movement that the front of the ship. In the front the ship gets more up and down movement with the waves. By the time the back of the ship gets to the waive it seems to have broken the wave and does not get the movement. Now this is not scientific advice; it is just my history and guessing what is happening.

Aft section rooms that face the side of the boats are just balcony rooms.

Aft section rooms facing the wake are the best seat in the house.

My case -

If you have a balcony on the side, you can only see one view from a single side. It's nice but has limitations.

With the very back balcony, you get 180 degree , panoramic view. You get sunrise and set. Bring your camera.

Vibration was minimal when I did this. And I've done this on a few ships. Just try and get the level in between other rooms, Not under or above
Clubs or restaurants. .

Thx teddy

We were on the Fantasy last week in Aft cabin 7192. The location was great and the verandahs Aft cabins are larger then the standard verandahs. We really loved our extended verandah. We had 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a small table out on our deck. It was a great space to just hang out. We ordered room service two days for breakfast and enjoyed our meal out on the verandah.

Although we really liked the Aft cabin, for our next cruise in 2014 on the Fantasy, we decided to book a cabin mid-ship. We are hoping for less motion and vibrations in the mid-ship cabin.

The front of the ship does the 'up and down'. However, the back... 'rolls and lumbers side to side...' My previous nausea indicated that for me, up and down motion was felt but side rolling and lumbering made me sick. (I've changed bc tho so now I don't have that problem nearly as bad.) On the bahamas cruises, I didnt have any problems. Wide open gulf is meh...and coastal Yucatan to Belize was NO BUENO...

How is it physically possible for the front of the ship to move up and down more than the back of the ship, unless the ship bends significantly in the middle?

I can see the middle of the ship moving less - like sitting in the middle of a seasaw. But the front and back would be like the ends of the seasaw and move at opposite but equal distances.

Same for the back rolling more than any other part of the ship. Can you roll a steal bar from side to side without rolling each part of the bar equally?

What am I missing?

We were in 8178 on the Fantasy. I was a little worried about the vibrations and noise, but we heard none (except when our neighbors had sex on their verandah) :lmao:

Anyway, we really liked the location, the aft elevator was usually pretty quick/empty...

We liked the location so much, we booked the same exact cabin for our NOV. 2014 cruise! :thumbsup2

How is it physically possible for the front of the ship to move up and down more than the back of the ship, unless the ship bends significantly in the middle?

I can see the middle of the ship moving less - like sitting in the middle of a seasaw. But the front and back would be like the ends of the seasaw and move at opposite but equal distances.

Same for the back rolling more than any other part of the ship. Can you roll a steal bar from side to side without rolling each part of the bar equally?

What am I missing?

I also have to say I think the front of the ship moves up and down more than the back. I dont know why that is and perhaps its all in my head:confused:, but I could feel the ship move more so forward than in the aft. So I always choose aft cabins so I dont feel the movement as much.

The front of the ship 'breaks' into the waves, and has a lilting up and then crashing down feel.

The back doesn't break into the waves as the front already has, but it's like it doesn't have the stability of the front and that's where the rolling comes in? It also depends on which direction you are facing the waves at. For instance, when the waves bounce off the coast and come back, there is much more side to side lumbering parallel to the ship and it has really made me sick before! More than the up and down crashing and then vibrating.

I guess I don't have the science to it, but it is the reality, at least to me?

Sort of like a roller coaster. Riding in the front, the middle and the back, are all different rides but its the same design and same materials...?

I am no engineer, but these ships must be built with some "give," like a skyscraper.

All I know is, midship feels the least motion. Aft is second best, front is worst. This directly from the ship Dr, room steward, and our serving team on our last cruise, who all treated my friend for extreme seasickness after eating in the main restaurant (not a Disney cruise) on the first night of our cruise. She was ok, though not great, everywhere else but for the rest of the cruise she could not step foot in the dining room, of anywhere else past midship. Poor thing.

Watch the deadliest catch and you will se how the front goes up and down more than the back. :)

We were in rooms 7176 and 7178 on the dream last year. We are booked in the same rooms on the fantasy in June. We felt some movement but it was not bad at all.

I've never been seasick and we're AFT cabin 7622 or 7266 (can't recall the exact number) on the Wonder....best thing to bring for motion sickness?

Although we really liked the Aft cabin, for our next cruise in 2014 on the Fantasy, we decided to book a cabin mid-ship. We are hoping for less motion and vibrations in the mid-ship cabin.

Same feeling and plan. We had 8678 on the Fantasy in March. Loved the room. Loved the location. I felt the vibration at night which wasn't enjoyable. Of course I was the only one out of the 5 of us who felt it.

I am no engineer, but these ships must be built with some "give," like a skyscraper.

Jiminy'sGirl SHOULD have been an engineer. Ships do indeed have some "give" ... in fact it's quite a significant amount. Naval Architects refer to this as "hog" and "sag" and it's absolutely essential for structural integrity. Imagine a situation where two wave crests are about one ship length apart. The ship is essentially supported at the two ends while the middle of the ship dangles above the trough between those two crests. The ship needs to sag a bit rather than breaking in half.

Although critical for structural integrity, this is mostly a second order effect for ship motions and is not significant except for the most severe ship motions. So, there is not a significant difference in the rotational motions (pitch and roll) between the bow and stern (so PP brentm77 is also correct in his statement). My more complete discussion of ship motion (in which I specifically noted that I was ignoring the flex in the ship) can be found at this location:

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=47077663&postcount=6

One additional factor that I did not previously address but posters have experienced is something called "slamming" in which the bow of the ship ploughs into the on-coming wave face. This can result in some additional accelerations (both vertical (heave) and longitudinal (surge)) that will be experienced far more in the bow than the stern.

On the other end of the ship, the stern can experience a significant amount of propeller vibration that will not be experienced in the bow. Also, propeller vibrations aren't tied to wave action so they can be present even in calm seas.

Different people experience different sensitivity to these motions due to the differing frequencies ... propeller vibrations are a higher frequency than the response to waves. So, YMMV.

So, grossly over-simplifying this discussion:
Midship: experiences pitch, heave and roll
Foward: experiences the same pitch, heave and roll PLUS slamming
Aft: experiences the same pitch, heave and roll PLUS propeller vibration

Personally, I really dis-like propeller vibrations because they can actually rattle things like the ceiling panels in the staterooms. So, I prefer a mid-ship cabin (definitely the lowest of all motions) followed by a forward cabin. Aft cabins are my least favorite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter