• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

afraid of the weather

zeke11

DIS Veteran
Thought I'd be brave and booked our last cruise during hurricane season and of course, our cruise was disrupted in a major way.

I just now booked our 2nd Disney cruise for Thanksgiving week 2005. After, I read that the seas are rough this time of year. Now I'm worried --- I would be so upset if weather messed us up again.

Has anyone sailed the last week in November and what was your experience?

Kris

We've sailed during the first week in December 3 of the last 4 years and have never had problems with weather or rough seas. In 2001, there was even still a hurricane in the Atlantic, but it was far enough away that it didn't cause any problems with weather, high seas, or with the itinerary.

I would not say that the seas are necessarily any higher during this time of year. There is always a chance that you'll encounter them, but there's probably a better chance that you won't. We've sailed many times during hurricane season and have even been diverted a couple of times, but have never run into really rough seas. What happened this year with multiple hurricanes hitting the Atlantic coast of Florida so close together was really kind of an aberration. I don't think its indicative of what you can expect when sailing in the fall.

The roughest seas I've personally encountered in the Caribbean were during late winter/early spring, but again, I think that's less a function of the time of year and more just poor luck.

I 'feel your pain'. We have sailed on the Magic 4 times - 10/00, 12/01, 12/02 and 09/04 and only had rough seas his last September. I have a Wonder cruise planned for Feb. and am worrying about how chilly it will be and if we will be able to enjoy the beach and Castaway Cay. I am trying not to worry about things that I have no control over - some days that philosophy works and some days not.

We were just on the Wonder this past week. Sunday night was quite rough seas until we got out of the gulf. It was around 11 p.m. when things settled down (a bit). The rest of the cruise was pretty smooth sailing. I think Wednesday night it got a little rocky again as we headed back, but we were sleeping at that point and weren't bothered by it.

Sunday night was the only time any of us had to take a pill for motion sickness.

I'm no weather expert, but those rough seas the first and last night are the gulf stream. Always there, always going to rock the boat at least a little.

Glendmood- I have cruised in late January, and CC was still wonderful. Actually, I enjoyed the weather because it was not blistering hot. But then again, I have worn my winter coat in Orlando that time of year. No matter when you sail, you can't control the weather. Don't worry about it to much!

You are right Disneybride96 - we can not control Mother Nature and I am trying not to spend much time stewing about it. I prefer it to be a bit cooler but still warm enough for the water but if it isn't, then so be it - just means we go back again:tongue:

Have you seen the movie "White Squall"? Nothing to worry about. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

What is the "pill"of choice? My greatest fear is being seasick for my whole cruise.

Forgive my "newbieness" but if your cruise is rerouted, stuck or shortened, which of any of these are typically covered by cruise insurance? Will Disney give you any credit for any of these events?

Still learning,
RTM

Our 4-night cruise was shortened by one-night due to hurricane Jeanne. Disney credited us for 40% of the cruise price :-)

Kris

Well, because of the credit we are able to go on another cruise, but this time not in September :-)

Kris

Good decision, Kris. We have a beach place that was hit squarely by Ivan this September. As new members of the I Believe in Hurricanes Club, we won't be traveling in September either;) !

As my D(Navy)H would wish you, "Fair winds and folllowing seas!"
RTM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter