Afforadable Housing Around Walt Disney World

NATALIEBELLESmom

DIS Veteran
We are moving to the Orlando area in August. We are currently located in northern Indaina so finding a affordable, safe and less than 20 mins away from the parks is a bit challanging. For those of you who live in the area, do you have any suggestion. The only challenge is we have 3 Shihpoo puppies. They do not even weigh 22lbs combined. Thanks for any advice.

I used to live in Kissimmee and worked at WDW - best advice I can give you is to go down there and check out the area for yourself. Many online rental places look great until you get there and find yourself in a bad part of town - happened to me :sad2: I then had to scramble to find a different place. Even a good area might have not so great parts.

Go at night to check the area - it might look ok during the day but at night it is a different story. Sorry I cannot be more specific since we moved a few years ago, but I am sure others will come along with suggestions :thumbsup2

Thanks, I was thinking that I might have to make a trip before hand, I just was trying to be budget friendly. My husband went and looked at a couple places when he was there last week for an interview with Disney and had no luck. I will keep my fingers crossed that something comes our way. =)

We live about 10 minutes away from the MK parking lot. South of Disney has a lot of vacation rentals and seasonal occupants until you get as far out as Davenport, north of Disney is more neighborhoods and families. You can PM me if you want to ask any specific questions. We did the move 2 years ago and I got a lot of good help here on the boards. Time to pay it forward :goodvibes

Just wanted to say Hello neighbor! Live in the same city

Jumping in, I recently spent a day visiting different areas around Orlando. I think i confused myself more than before I started.

I looked around Clermont, Avalon Park (further away, but a lovely downtown area), Hunter's Creek. I had no idea what I was doing.

We will be leaving NJ, probably next year. DH retired (at 55) in March. It is too soon to REALLY look, but I wanted to at least narrow it down to north, east, south, west of the disney park area. Also trying to decide if it would be better to live 45 minutes from the parks. I am a TDS CM, but unsure if I want to transfer to work at the park or not.

Will send a PM, thanks for the help in advance.

Just my advice, I live in Central Florida (outside of Tampa) and if you're renting, I'd work with an agent for sure. There are a lot of "for rent" signs by owner, and they scare the heck out of me with the foreclosure rate that's going on down here. I've had two separate sets of friends rent a house, move in, and then a few months later come home to find they are locked out of their house because the house was in foreclosure. It's really important to cover your hiney in this situation.

Just my advice, I live in Central Florida (outside of Tampa) and if you're renting, I'd work with an agent for sure. There are a lot of "for rent" signs by owner, and they scare the heck out of me with the foreclosure rate that's going on down here. I've had two separate sets of friends rent a house, move in, and then a few months later come home to find they are locked out of their house because the house was in foreclosure. It's really important to cover your hiney in this situation.

Federal law protects renters from this situation. As long as they can produce a signed lease, they can stay in the property the duration of their lease, provided they continue making payments on time. I also know here in Las Vegas, you'll get tons of notices on your door prior to anyone coming and just locking the doors on you, so you'll have time to get the situation sorted out before you ever get locked out. I assume the process isn't much different in FL.

The biggest concern with renting is to ensure the person you're renting from is indeed the real property owner/realator/property manager. There's a lot of scams where people rent out foreclosures they don't own, and in those cases, it's pretty much too bad, so sad.

We are moving to the Orlando area in August. We are currently located in northern Indaina so finding a affordable, safe and less than 20 mins away from the parks is a bit challanging. For those of you who live in the area, do you have any suggestion. The only challenge is we have 3 Shihpoo puppies. They do not even weigh 22lbs combined. Thanks for any advice.

Are you renting where you live now? If so, I would ask your current landlord to write a letter detailing what a responsible pet owner you have been. How your dogs have not caused any damage to the property. Sometimes such a letter will convince a reluctant potential landlord to accept your three dogs.

Affordable and Orlando rent don't belong in the same sentence. That said, if you can afford it, Hunter's Creek seems to be a nice area and is close to the parks.

DH was telling me about a guy in Las Vegas he knows. His house was in foreclosure, he was not making mortgage payments. He rented the house, for about a year, and just kept the rent, while he stayed with family members. Owes $200,000 on the house.

Recently the bank contacted him, and offered to reduce the mortgage by 1/2, and he could move right back in........ It is like he is being REWARDED for the situation....... not 100% his fault, no work in construction out there, after 10 years of nonstop work with OT. He was asking DH opinion on whether he should do it or not. (which is a complicated question of course)

We live in a strange world.

Are you looking for a house or an apartment?? I can recommend 2 apartment complexes that a friend of mine has lived in near Disney.....rent isn't cheap, but they are nice, safe places near Disney. I think they might offer cast discounts too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter