Aerosol suntan lotion--on the plane?

GayeofPA

Hoping to Go
Anyone have experience taking aerosol suntan lotion through security check at the airports?

Folks on this board directed me to the wonders of this kind of suntan lotion, and I'm thrilled to have found a fragrance-free one. But the TSA says this about aerosol:

Flammable Items
Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities) Carry-on:No Checked:No

And then I found on another site: Aerosols (with the exception of personal care items or toiletries in limited quantities in containers sized three ounces or smaller)

What we have is 6 oz. We were going to put it in the checked baggage. I assume we are NOT allowed to bring this??!

Any experience/suggestions??

Because it is over 3 ozs, you won't be able to take it in your carry-on. You can, however, put it in your checked bag. I carry aerosol hairspray in my checked bag. Make sure you put it in a plastic bag before you pack it though. Your other items will be protected if it would happen to leak.

We always pack the aerosol suncream...just put it in a ziploc bag incase it gets pressed or leaks and it will be fine. I also pack hairspray and deodorant and they are always fine. I already have my bullfrog spray suncream in the case ready for my next trip in 11 days time!!:)

As pamjb stated; no liquids greater than 3 ozs may be carried aboard. I packed the aerosol sunscreen in my checked baggage and purchased two travel size sunscreens on keychains for my carry ons. Make sure all carryons are under 3 ozs and in 1 quart ziploc bag. Only 1 bag allowed per person for a carryon. I am bringing one and so is my DH.

DW and I just returned from a trip to Las Vegas last weekend. We took one bag between the 2 of us, and we had two 6 oz. cans of the Coppertone Aerosol Sport Sunscreen in our checked luggage. No problems with security what so ever.

DW and I just returned from a trip to Las Vegas last weekend. We took one bag between the 2 of us, and we had two 6 oz. cans of the Coppertone Aerosol Sport Sunscreen in our checked luggage. No problems with security what so ever.

Either you got lucky or the security at those airports didn't get the memo. :laughing:

I fly around Florida for my job and every airport I've flown out of has been absolutely militant about the 3oz/no aerosols/everything in a zip lock bag rule. It can be pretty amusing watching people pull out their zip lock bags at security - you can tell the people who didn't give a lot of forethought to the fact that everyone would be able to see what they've packed. :rolleyes1

Fortunately, most of my flights are day trips so the only thing other passengers get to ogle is my laptop. ;)

Either you got lucky or the security at those airports didn't get the memo. :laughing:

What memo?

Thumper_Man said that the sunscreen was in their CHECKED luggage. There is no volume limit in checked luggage.

Perhaps the mention of security made you assume carry-on luggage? I had to read it a couple times to be sure of what luggage the sunscreen was in.

What memo?

Thumper_Man said that the sunscreen was in their CHECKED luggage. There is no volume limit in checked luggage.

Perhaps the mention of security made you assume carry-on luggage? I had to read it a couple times to be sure of what luggage the sunscreen was in.

Oops! You're right - I was thinking carry-on. It's been a long day...

What memo?

Anyone have experience taking aerosol suntan lotion through security check at the airports?

Folks on this board directed me to the wonders of this kind of suntan lotion, and I'm thrilled to have found a fragrance-free one. But the TSA says this about aerosol:

Flammable Items
Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities) Carry-on:No Checked:No

And then I found on another site: Aerosols (with the exception of personal care items or toiletries in limited quantities in containers sized three ounces or smaller)

What we have is 6 oz. We were going to put it in the checked baggage. I assume we are NOT allowed to bring this??!

Thank you crashbb. Yes it was in our checked baggage. OP mentioned putting it in their checked baggage but assumed it was not allowed. Just letting the OP know we didn't have any problems with it in our checked baggage.

Sorry if I threw you off 3floridarays., by mentioning security. Gotta remember, even though your baggage is checked, it still gets screened as well. This was probably the OP's concern as well; that it wasn't allowed in either carry-on or checked. We all have long days. :goodvibes :grouphug:

Flammable Items

The Sunscreen falls into the "personal care or toiletries" category--as would insect repellent. Aerosol cans of Lysol, bathroom cleaner, oven cleaner, WD40 etc would not and would not be allowed. ;)

But as a PP said, put it in a sealed Ziplock bag. It is very easy for it to get sprayed in transit, even with a lid on.

I've taken aerosol sun block before on carry on...

Unless you're individually screened - they're not likely to care.

They're more likely to flip out over a jar of peanut butter than sunblock..
But it all depends on your airport and the TSAs moods. I'd say check it to be 100% sure.

I've never heard of liquid limits on checked luggage..

I got busted by Orlando TSA leaving last year. I am usually such a goodie twoshoes and follow all the rules, but we were at EPCOT all day and then headed to the airport and I just threw my park bag in with my carry-on, which of course had a fullsized aerosol lotion.

Even though I was completely apologetic, the TSA guys were real meanies!!! I know I deserved them taking it away , but seriously I didn't need the 20 minute lecture and them ripping threw my bags like that -lol!

We've flown with a 3 oz aerosol sunscreen in carryon (baggied properly). :confused3 DD is allergic to the lotion kind and we need sunscreen when we get in (without waiting for ME and bell services).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter