Advice you'd give a newbie

as above,plus look at maps of the parks,so you at least have some idea of where you want to go.:)

Yes, yes, yes! I always worry about the families who pass through the turnstile, grab and unfold a map and discuss what there is to do in the park.

GaBelle said:
I wish someone had given me the following advice before my 1st trip to Disney:

1. Stay onsite. It looks like you will save money by staying offsite, but no.
2. Make ADRs if you plan on a table service meal.
3. WDW is HUGE! Plan travel time accordingly.
4. If visiting with kids, remember its about them. If they are screaming and exhausted- don't try to push through. Take a break.
5. Florida may be the Sunshine State, but it does rain occasionally. Be prepared.
6. Bring an extra pair of shoes. See #5.
7. Fastpass.
8. Leaving MK after fireworks is mind numbing.
9. Get to the parks as early as you can- RD. The parks get very crowded around 11am.
10. Don't wear dark undergarments under thin or light colored clothing if you even think you are getting on a water ride. Very embarrassing.

I totally get why.. but any suggestions for how to actually see them and not spend hours getting back to the resort? We're going in June and Wishes aren't until 10:00. I think that's a little nuts, but nothing I can do to change that. We would love to see then but we also need to sleep. Any advice?

I totally get why.. but any suggestions for how to actually see them and not spend hours getting back to the resort? We're going in June and Wishes aren't until 10:00. I think that's a little nuts, but nothing I can do to change that. We would love to see then but we also need to sleep. Any advice?

If you really want a treat and have the extra money to spend, check into the Fireworks 'Cruise' that leaves from the Grand Floridian. I don't know the price because it was included in the Platinum Meal plan when we did it.

You leave about an hour before the fireworks start and they take you on a boat tour around the lagoon. They give you a lot of history (did you know that the Poly originally was supposed to have waves? There was machines to make waves, but it was washing away the beach.) The boat parks about 100 feet from the Electric Water Parade, so you get to see that close up. Then it goes and parks in the water, facing Cinderella's Castle. The music is piped in to the boat and it's a BEAUTIFUL view of the fireworks. After it's over, you're taken back to the GF and you can hit the monorail right at the hotel or take a taxi back to your hotel.

The boat is for your party only, so you're not sharing it with anyone you don't want to share it with.

My number one tip would be this:

Characters have to take a break at the meet and greets. It's HOT in those costumes!

If you are the next in line when the character has to leave do NOT get angry about it. Instead, realize you're given an awesome gift!

When we were there with our 20 month old daughter Mickey had to leave right before our turn. When he came back (Animal Kingdom) you could see him walking towards the gazebo and our daughter got to run up and meet him when he came back in. And she got to spend more time with him because she was there when the photographers were setting up to get ready for more visits.

Being the next in line when a character has to take a break is a thousand times better than being the last one they visit before a break.

Remember that your first trip is just that your first trip of many. relax and learn what works for you and your family. Research and have a general idea on what you want to get done.

Print out maps of the parks and get very familiar with it. Especially if you have kids, learn where the restrooms are and the quiet areas to sit down and rest or eat. There are several shows, parades, fireworks and special meet n greets, so learn the times. I love all the parades and fireworks and we wont miss them on any visit!!

Also, learn the transportation system!!!!!

Not sure where your resort is, but you could also view Wishes from Poly beach, 'Ohana, or right in front of Gasparilla Grill at GF.

Otherwise, I don't mean to discourage you from seeing Wishes in MK. Something you should do at least once. Just be prepared that the exit will take a while.

Use fastpass, use fastpass, use fastpass!!!

Made ADR's.

Get to the parks early.

Research the parks before you get there.

Have fun!!

DH and I accidentally stumbled upon something fantastic when we were at MK recently. I staked out a spot on Main St. DH said he needed to use the restroom. It seemed like he was taking a long time. Then my phone rang...he'd been looking around and found a better viewing spot. If you go up the stairs at the Main St. train station, there are a couple of chairs facing the castle. We went up there about an hour before Wishes and claimed some chairs. As Wishes got closer, some more people came up and stood in the area but it didn't get crazy-crowded. Well anyway, after Wishes, we were some of the first people to exit the park. There was a monorail just leaving, but we got on the next monorail. We were in our car and back at Pop in less than 40 minutes. No joke. It was amazing. And like I said, it was purely on accident.

My tip for a newbie is to remember, above everything else, that you are at DISNEY WORLD!! Remember to be thankful that you have an opportunity to take a vacation to such a wonderful place.

When I was there last week, I caught myself several times thinking, "Wow, I'm really here! I'm really seeing the castle/riding Soarin'/grabbing a FP for TSMM!!"

It really helps to keep things in perspective.

BenKling said:
4. If you're going during a slow time, take your time! Otherwise, you'll have run out of things to do by the afternoon.

That has not been my experience, but ymmv. I always leave wishing I could spend another day in every park.

My number one tip? It's all about the feet. If you don't take care of your feet, no amount of pixie dust will make your vacation a happy experience. Comfy broken in shoes, rotating your footwear daily, good socks, lots of powder to soak up moisture, bandaids/moleskin, and breaks throughout the day to take off your shoes and just wiggle your toes. You can still have fun if you catch a cold or get a sunburn, but if your feet are hurting, you will be miserable!

Not sure where your resort is, but you could also view Wishes from Poly beach, 'Ohana, or right in front of Gasparilla Grill at GF.

Otherwise, I don't mean to discourage you from seeing Wishes in MK. Something you should do at least once. Just be prepared that the exit will take a while.

We're staying at CBR.

I personally don't mind the time, but DH already thinks staying out past 8 is crazy.. so getting him to stay til 10 and then through Wishes is hard enough. I need a plan to get him out fast. lol

DH and I accidentally stumbled upon something fantastic when we were at MK recently. I staked out a spot on Main St. DH said he needed to use the restroom. It seemed like he was taking a long time. Then my phone rang...he'd been looking around and found a better viewing spot. If you go up the stairs at the Main St. train station, there are a couple of chairs facing the castle. We went up there about an hour before Wishes and claimed some chairs. As Wishes got closer, some more people came up and stood in the area but it didn't get crazy-crowded. Well anyway, after Wishes, we were some of the first people to exit the park. There was a monorail just leaving, but we got on the next monorail. We were in our car and back at Pop in less than 40 minutes. No joke. It was amazing. And like I said, it was purely on accident.

I'll have to try and remember that. Thanks. :) How was the view there?

Where does the monorail take you to? I need to be able to catch one of the ME buses back to CBR.

We're staying at CBR.

I personally don't mind the time, but DH already thinks staying out past 8 is crazy.. so getting him to stay til 10 and then through Wishes is hard enough. I need a plan to get him out fast. lol

You could always just send him back to the hotel at 8 and YOU stay and watch the fireworks :)

We're staying at CBR.

I'll have to try and remember that. Thanks. :) How was the view there?

Where does the monorail take you to? I need to be able to catch one of the ME buses back to CBR.

I thought the view was fine. I've watched Wishes from several vantage points and I think I liked that one the best. I didn't feel swallowed by a sea of people and I could see the castle straight on.

The monorail takes you to the TTC (where you park your car). We had a rental car, so we drove to MK. If you need to catch a bus, you'll exit out the front and turn left to get to the bus stop.

A lot of people swear by taking a bus to MK to avoid the monorail. But the way we did it, I think was faster than waiting for the bus. But that's only because we were among the first people to exit the park after Wishes. If we'd waited even 5 minutes, we would have been stuck in a huge line of people waiting to board the monorail.

We had the AAA diamond parking card so we were parked very close to the front of the lot and didn't need to wait for the parking lot tram.

BenKling said:
4. If you're going during a slow time, take your time! Otherwise, you'll have run out of things to do by the afternoon.

:rofl: I didn't think it was possible to run out of things to do.

Stacy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter