Advice on UIoA with a preschooler, please!

dimndgal1

One little spark...
Hello, all!
My parents surprised my DD and I with a trip to Orlando next month with them so that my DM and I can FINALLY visit WWoHP! I haven't been to Universal in years, and have never done a non-Disney park with my DD.

DD is vaguely interested in Harry Potter - she's seen the first movie, we've read parts of it to her, and she likes the whole idea of 'wizards'. What would be good for a 4-year old there?

Also, does anyone have experience with taking a 4yo on Jurassic Park and Spiderman? She's def tall enough, and LOVES Tower of Terror at the mouse, but I don't want to push it.

Thanks in advance!

if your 4 yr old balks at the rides, you can use the child swap.

since you are going next month, which would be november, if you go early in the month, lower crowds.

that will be a plus for you doing parry hotter with her.
it would be much easier getting around in that section as it isn't very large.

rent a stroller, it might make a smoother trip for her and you.

JP would be fun for her. discovery center is fabulous for that age.
seussland would be fun also.
if she is not into the spidey ride, she can do the meet and greet and the fantastic four parade into marvel land each day.

DD is vaguely interested in Harry Potter - she's seen the first movie, we've read parts of it to her, and she likes the whole idea of 'wizards'. What would be good for a 4-year old there?

Also, does anyone have experience with taking a 4yo on Jurassic Park and Spiderman? She's def tall enough, and LOVES Tower of Terror at the mouse, but I don't want to push it.

Thanks in advance!
I don't have children so I can't give you personal experience but I'm sure she would love Suess Landing and the Jurassic Park Discovery Center without a doubt. You really can't see how high the drop is on Jurassic Park River Adventure but she should enjoy it. If nothing else, she can stand in the "splash zone" and get wet. Spiderman shouldn't be an issue if she likes ToT and she can meet the super heroes.

I think it will definitely be a fun day for you guys.

My daughter is 4 and has already been to US/IOA three times (not Disney yet, believe it or not). She is freakishly tall for her age, and has ridden most everything except the real big rides (i.e. the coasters, Ripsaw Falls, Dr. Doom, etc). She's a real rider - she gets very upset when we say she's not big enough to get on any of those.

She adoresthe parks. Here's a bit of a breakdown:

IOA

Loves Cat-in-the-Hat, Carro-Seuss-el, One Fish Two Fish, and the High-in-the-sky Trolley at Suess Landing - plus she would play all day in the little interactive water area there.

Has been on Spiderman - did not love it. Probably too intense for her. Enjoyed Jurassic Park very much until she bumped her nose on the (padded) lap bar on her third ride. Wouldn't go again after that. But really dug Pteradon Flyers, had to pry her out of the Discovery Center, and again would stay all day in the Jurassic Park play area, especially the water-gun fights.

She has probably been on the Hippogriff 20 times. Her favorite coaster, and in my opinion probably the best "kiddie" coaster around.

She also insists on multiple visits to the Mystic Fountain every trip. Oh my she loves that thing. We have so many videos of her talking to it. One of the overlooked gems of the park.

Has also been on Bluto's Raft ride - liked it OK (not as much as me), but not really enthusiastic. A bit surprising as she loves getting (and seeing other people get) wet.

Universal Studios

Loves meeting the characters. Lost her mind meeting Spongebob. Really enjoyed (more than me) Shrek (demanded to ride it again and again). Also LOVES the Simpson ride - something I thought would be way too intense for her. She wants us to dress up as the Simpsons for Halloween this year.

Was scared by Jaws. Liked Men In Black (mommy's favorite ride) until the giant bug at the end "ate" us - wouldn't go on it again. Loves the Woody Woodpecker coaster - a real fun ride. Always has to see the Barney show at least twice (sigh).

Was scared to try out E.T., but gave it a shot. Then had to ride it again and again. And now it's her favorite movie (she'll hold my hand when E.T. "dies" and tells me not to worry - he'll come back to life). Is also happy to run around in the Curious George play areas (big splash section, indoor ball pit, etc.).

So there's actually a lot to do for a tall, adventurous little person to do. It certainly filled our days (we usually stay for three or four nights at one of their hotels, so there's also a lot of pool time), and this doesn't include any shows other than Barney.

Right now her regular routine with her dolls is having them dress up so they can move into the "elephant hotel" (the Royal Pacific). She does this so much I think we may have to go back again over Christmas.

I feel more prepared for the trip now!

Spewey - DD is the same way! She was 40 inches at 3 and rode Tower of Terror at Disneyland 10 times... just couldn't get enough! She hated Snow White though -- too scary. She wants to be thrilled, not spooked.

I'm stoked to hit some of the recommended rides and like the description of the Mystic Fountain. DD loves anything she can talk to or interact with!

Thanks again!

I'm stoked to hit some of the recommended rides and like the description of the Mystic Fountain. DD loves anything she can talk to or interact with!
DSC02348.jpg

i spend hours with Mr Rock...........

mystic fountain is kewl...
you never know what he is going to say to the kids.

it is great entertainment for me. i give my feet a break...:laughing:
i sit on the rocks in the no splash area and just watch.......

Thanks for posting this! I'm stoked to learn more and see how she enjoys it!

Thanks again!

My daughter is 4 and has already been to US/IOA three times (not Disney yet, believe it or not). She is freakishly tall for her age, and has ridden most everything except the real big rides (i.e. the coasters, Ripsaw Falls, Dr. Doom, etc). She's a real rider - she gets very upset when we say she's not big enough to get on any of those.

She adoresthe parks. Here's a bit of a breakdown:

IOA

Loves Cat-in-the-Hat, Carro-Seuss-el, One Fish Two Fish, and the High-in-the-sky Trolley at Suess Landing - plus she would play all day in the little interactive water area there.

Has been on Spiderman - did not love it. Probably too intense for her. Enjoyed Jurassic Park very much until she bumped her nose on the (padded) lap bar on her third ride. Wouldn't go again after that. But really dug Pteradon Flyers, had to pry her out of the Discovery Center, and again would stay all day in the Jurassic Park play area, especially the water-gun fights.

She has probably been on the Hippogriff 20 times. Her favorite coaster, and in my opinion probably the best "kiddie" coaster around.

She also insists on multiple visits to the Mystic Fountain every trip. Oh my she loves that thing. We have so many videos of her talking to it. One of the overlooked gems of the park.

Has also been on Bluto's Raft ride - liked it OK (not as much as me), but not really enthusiastic. A bit surprising as she loves getting (and seeing other people get) wet.

Universal Studios

Loves meeting the characters. Lost her mind meeting Spongebob. Really enjoyed (more than me) Shrek (demanded to ride it again and again). Also LOVES the Simpson ride - something I thought would be way too intense for her. She wants us to dress up as the Simpsons for Halloween this year.

Was scared by Jaws. Liked Men In Black (mommy's favorite ride) until the giant bug at the end "ate" us - wouldn't go on it again. Loves the Woody Woodpecker coaster - a real fun ride. Always has to see the Barney show at least twice (sigh).

Was scared to try out E.T., but gave it a shot. Then had to ride it again and again. And now it's her favorite movie (she'll hold my hand when E.T. "dies" and tells me not to worry - he'll come back to life). Is also happy to run around in the Curious George play areas (big splash section, indoor ball pit, etc.).

So there's actually a lot to do for a tall, adventurous little person to do. It certainly filled our days (we usually stay for three or four nights at one of their hotels, so there's also a lot of pool time), and this doesn't include any shows other than Barney.

Right now her regular routine with her dolls is having them dress up so they can move into the "elephant hotel" (the Royal Pacific). She does this so much I think we may have to go back again over Christmas.

This was exactly my daughter when we took her last year! She was 4 and 2 months old. It was too cold for the water rides but she had the same reaction as your daughter to all the other rides.

Loved Flight of the Hippogriff, Woody Woodpecker coaster, Simpsons (shocked me too, it was pretty intense, but she thought it was hysterical that we were the baby's binky and talked about that for weeks), ET, Shrek, all the Seuss stuff, the Barney show, Curious George play area, Jurassic Park. She HATED Spider-man. That definitely was too intense. Had her in tears. Then I took her on Storm's spin ride (can't remember the name) a few times and she was right as rain.

My youngest was too short for a lot of the rides but she also had a blast. There is so much there for all ages. She loved meeting the minions, that is my most favorite character picture ever!

Oh yeah! I forgot about the Storm ride (i.e. the "tea cups on steroids" beside the Hulk coaster). She loves that too - which is a little unfortunate as it gives my wife a headache, meaning I'm the one to ride it with her every time. A bit queasy after several spins on that first thing in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter